RESOLVED - Can't Get my Conkyrc to show up in ConkyManager 2.4

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

RESOLVED - Can't Get my Conkyrc to show up in ConkyManager 2.4

Post by Todd Sauve »

Hi gang!

I've had good success relying on the collective expertise of the Forum gang in getting my personal conkyrc up and running in the past. I have a custom 8 core conky that worked fine in 19.1 by importing it into ConkyManager 2.4 and when I did the upgrade path to 19.3 it still worked fine. But for some reason, mint 19.3 went kind of crazy and filled up all the open space on the partition I installed it on and would no longer boot. So I downloaded 19.3 Cinnamon and did a clean install. Everything is working nicely but I can't get ConkyManager 2.4 to import my conkyrc and display it. I don't know why. It says it imported it but then it just doesn't show up in the list of Widgets or Themes. I'll post my conykrc and maybe you folks can look at it and see if there is something incompatible with it and CM 2.4. Or maybe I don't need CM 2.4 to get it running. I, personally, am no expert with conky and really need your help to sort it all out, as my conky is beautiful and shows me everything I want it to.

Code: Select all

conky.config = {
	background = false,
	update_interval = 1,

cpu_avg_samples = 2,
	net_avg_samples = 2,
	temperature_unit = 'celsius',

double_buffer = true,
	no_buffers = true,
	text_buffer_size = 2048,

gap_x = 30,
	gap_y = 40,
	minimum_width = 280, minimum_height = 460,
	maximum_width = 280,
	own_window = true,
	own_window_class = 'conky',
	own_window_argb_visual = true,
	own_window_argb_value = 120,
	own_window_hints = 'undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager',
    own_window_transparent = true,
	background = false,
	border_inner_margin = 0,
	border_outer_margin = 0,
	alignment = 'bottom_right',

draw_shades = false,
	draw_outline = false,
	draw_borders = false,
	draw_graph_borders = false,

override_utf8_locale = true,
	use_xft = true,
	font = 'DejaVu Sans:size=10',
	xftalpha = 0.5,
	uppercase = false,

default_color = 'white',
        color1 = 'cyan',
        color2 = 'white',

};

conky.text = [[
${goto 5}${font zekton:style=Bold:pixelsize=14}${color2}${font  Snap.se:size=8}

${goto 10}${font OpenLogos:size=11}OS: ${execi 10800 cat /etc/issue.net}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=11}Kernel: ${kernel}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=11}CPU: ${execi 86400 cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name' | sed -e 's/model name.*: //'| uniq | cut -c -5} \
${execi 86400 cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep 'model name' | sed -e 's/model name.*: //'| uniq | cut -c 19-26}

${goto 5}${font zekton:style=Bold:pixelsize=14}${color2}SYSTEM LOAD${font  Snap.se:size=8} ${color1}${hr}${color}
${voffset -5}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=11}CPU 1: ${cpu cpu 0}%${goto 120}    ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 0'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 1} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 0}${color}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=11}CPU 2: ${cpu cpu 1}%${goto 120}    ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 1'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 2} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 1}${color}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=11}CPU 3: ${cpu cpu 2}%${goto 120}    ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 2'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 3} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 2}${color}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=11}CPU 4: ${cpu cpu 3}%${goto 120}    ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 3'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 4} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 3}${color}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=11}CPU 5: ${cpu cpu 4}%${goto 120}    ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 3'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 5} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 4}${color}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=11}CPU 6: ${cpu cpu 5}%${goto 120}    ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 3'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 6} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 5}${color}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=11}CPU 7: ${cpu cpu 6}%${goto 120}    ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 3'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 7} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 6}${color}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=11}CPU 8: ${cpu cpu 7}%${goto 120}    ${execi 5 sensors|grep 'Core 3'| awk -F'+' '{print $2}' | awk -F'.' '{print $1}'} °C ${alignr}${freq 8} MHz
${goto 5}${color1}${cpubar cpu 7}${color}
${voffset -5}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=11}RAM $mem/$memmax ($memperc%)
${goto 32}${color1}${membar 5,230}${color}
${voffset -5}
${goto 10}${font conkycolors:size=11}HOME: ${fs_used /} / ${fs_size /}
${goto 32}${color1}${fs_bar 5,230}${color}
${voffset -5}
${goto 10}${font conkycolors:size=11}Adata8200Pro RW: ${diskio}
${voffset -5}
${goto 10}${font StyleBats:size=11}Nvidia MSI GTX770 OC: ${exec nvidia-settings -t -q [gpu:0]/GPUCoreTemp} °C${goto 150}
${goto 32} Mem Used: ${execi 5 nvidia-settings -q [gpu:0]/UsedDedicatedGPUMemory -t} / ${exec nvidia-settings -q [gpu:0]/TotalDedicatedGPUMemory -t} MB
${goto 32}${color2} GPU Fan: $color ${execi 10 nvidia-settings -q [fan:0]/GPUCurrentFanSpeed -t}% 
]];
A big thank you to evryone who can lend a hand and explain to me in simple but complete step by step terms what I need to do. If anyone else would like to use this conky, please feel free to copy and use it on your own PC! ;)

Todd Sauve in Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Can't Get my Conkyrc to show up in ConkyManager 2.4

Post by zcot »

Hi Todd Sauve,

The conky-manager version 2.4 does not support the newer lua syntax design of the Conky v.1.10 files. It will not "see" the files. You should have no problem using your conky config directly with the conky package install, although you will not be able to use that older conky-manager version. So let's say you ran on terminal: cd ~/.conky ; conky -c my-custom-1.10-conf then it works.

There is a fork of the original conky-manager that does support the newer syntax, and some other fixes/changes as well. It is called conky-manager2, and is effectively at version 2.7 at this time. You will have to install it a bit differently by using github, but the instructions are easily laid out here and you can just copy/paste a few commands:
https://github.com/zcot/conky-manager2
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Todd Sauve »

Thanks for your reply!

But I'm a bit lost with your instructions. I don't use Linux much and am really at the experience level of a noob. I followed your links but can't figure out what to do ,.. is there a simpler and more detailed method somewhere?

Actually, I just downloaded the conky-manager_2.7+dfsg1-3mx19+2_amd64.deb from the depository at http://mxrepo.com/mx/repo/pool/main/c/conky-manager/ and installed it. But it still won't add my .conkyrc file! I don't know why. What am I doing wrong? Did I download the wrong package?

Or is there a dead simple and much smaller package to get this running?

Sorry to be such a pain! :(
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

The github page shows HOWTOINSTALL, and that is comprised by 5 commands. It's actually very simple and the extra text is to merely describe what is happening for clarity. You don't have to read it, but you have to read it:

Code: Select all

apt install build-essential git valac libgee-0.8-dev libgtk-3-dev libjson-glib-dev p7zip-full imagemagick
git clone https://github.com/zcot/conky-manager2.git
cd conky-manager2
make
sudo make install

The .deb package from the MX repo is almost equally the same, so you should have no problem simply double-clicking that .deb file to complete the installation.

In either case, running the conky-manager2 will automatically find any config you have on your file system as long as the config is located in the ~/.conky directory(this is the default path for existing config files). If your config is not located there then it will not be found automatically and not be manageable in the manager. You have 2 options to make it work:

1. simply move your config into that hidden directory .conky in your home(~) directory. You can use your regular file manager, and unhide hidden files/folders using key combo [ctrl]+[h] or use its View menu items so it will show hidden files/folders.

2. alternately click the Application Settings in CM2 and use the Locations tab to add more paths for use in the automatic finding for configs. Possibly you want to add the "Home" directory path. Now CM2 will automatically check in the additional ~(home) directory and in ~/.conky(default) directories for existing configs.
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

SOLVED Re: Can't Get my Conkyrc to show up in ConkyManager 2.4

Post by Todd Sauve »

OK, thanks a million!

I got it working following your instructions about moving the folder. The only problem is that is smaller (not as tall) as it used to be, mostly I think because of the fonts. I'll just have to fiddle around with it and see what I can do.

Thanks again! :)
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Great! Good job. You're welcome.

Yes, and remember, since new install, you might have to add those specific custom fonts or call for different ones in the config.

The config is calling for: DejaVu Sans, zekton, Snap.se, OpenLogos, StyleBats, and conkycolors.
Todd Sauve
Level 4
Level 4

Re: RESOLVED - Can't Get my Conkyrc to show up in ConkyManager 2.4

Post by Todd Sauve »

Guess what? Once I rebooted my PC, the Conky went back to its proper size! I wonder why it did that? It must have discovered the entire configuration settings as it rebooted. Hmm, isn't life with computers weird? Ha, ha!

Thanks again!

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”