Keep Spotify in cairo-dock

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Skheizen

Keep Spotify in cairo-dock

Post by Skheizen »

Hi everybody,
I've got a problem with spotify and cairo-dock,
Let me explain : when running spotify, cairo-dock doesn't show spotify as running app. However I managed to attach spottify executable using menu-libre.
When I launch the app throught cairo-dock or from the menu, cairo-dock doesn't show the icon demonstrating that the app is running.
Every time I launch the spotify, it opens a new window wich is very frustrating.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks for reading.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
erginemr

Re: Keep Spotify in cairo-dock

Post by erginemr »

Skheizen wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:20 pm However I managed to attach spottify executable using menu-libre.
Hello,

You are using Xfce I presume, as Cinnamon already has a menu editor...
Skheizen

Post by Skheizen »

Yes, I forgot to mention that I'm running linux mint 20 beta Xfce edition.
erginemr

Post by erginemr »

To try myself, I have installed both cairo-dock and spotify-client from the terminal with apt install cairo-dock spotify-client. It showed up with its icon on the cairo-dock applications menu. I dragged its icon onto the cairo-dock and voilà:
Pano01.jpg
Could you please check your steps in the light of mine?
Skheizen

Post by Skheizen »

Thanks for your reply erginemr.
I followed exactly the steps you gave me. But The problem is that the little icon showing in cairo-dock that spotify is open doesn't appear. When I open Spotify through the dock or the menu, when I try to minimized through the dock, it opens a new instance of spotify wich is irritating. That is my problem.
Could you please check if you have the same problem please ?

Again, thanks for your reply.
erginemr

Post by erginemr »

You are welcome.

And you are right: I happen to experience exactly the same peculiar behavior. (double, triple runs, no indication that it is running) :? Must be something about the spotify app...

It runs and minimizes as expected on the default taskbar.
Skheizen

Post by Skheizen »

Thanks again for your reply erginemr. Has anyone found any solution concerning that problem ? Plus I deleted the task bar so almost every program I used are launched through cairo-dock. I tried Kdocker to put Spotify in system tray but the only thing which was irritating was that the spotify icon wasn't shown correctly.
I think that the problem is with Spotify app erginemr.
erginemr

Post by erginemr »

There is another dock app that I know, called "docky". I have tried it; it is snappier than cario-dock and plays nicely with spotify. I couldn't find an application menu, but there should be.
Pano01.jpg
To install:

Code: Select all

apt install docky
Skheizen

Post by Skheizen »

I already tried docky in linux mint 19.3. It was working great with all app but isn't in linux mint 20 beta...
Maybe I'll try to install LINUX Mint 19.3 again, and when Linux Mint 20 stable will be released, upgrading to Linux Mint 20 stable hoping that docky will be able to function. What do you think of that solution ?

Again, thanks for your reply.
Skheizen

Post by Skheizen »

I forgot to say that Docky isn't in repositories of linux mint 20.
erginemr

Post by erginemr »

No need to step back to 19. You can cherry-pick the needed packages (docky and dependencies) from https://pkgs.org under the Mint Tricia or Ubuntu Bionic section and install the packages manually.

However, it seems docky has not implemented any app menu, unlike cairo-dock. For that, I suggest you to take the Mint bottom panel above and use both a là Mac OS.
Skheizen

Post by Skheizen »

Thanks again for your answer, I will try to follow your advice.
Skheizen

Post by Skheizen »

I tried the advice you gave me, and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for your help and your time !

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”