Does Plank need a particular Window Manager?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
willendorfer
Level 1
Level 1

Does Plank need a particular Window Manager?

Post by willendorfer »

Everybody seems to describe Plank as simple and stable. I tried it on my Linux Mint 20 Mate desktop and it keeps crashing. I'm wondering, does it need a particular Window Manager? I'm using Marco - no compositing. If that's not it, how do I diagnose what's causing it to crash? And why is it crashing for me when everyone else finds it completely stable?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Does Plank need a particular Window Manager?

Post by smurphos »

Hi,

It certainly isn't as nice looking in a non composting environment, but it seems to be working OK for me in MATE 20 VM with plain Marco.

What version are you using?

Code: Select all

plank --version
Can you quit it and then launch from a terminal with command plank -d, try and make it crash and then report the last output from the terminal.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
willendorfer
Level 1
Level 1

Post by willendorfer »

The problem seems to be when I put it on 'Autohide'. It won't come back when I move the cursor over it.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

It doesn't need a specific window manager, but some might work better with it than others, as you've probably discovered. :wink: I used it for ages in XFWM4 (XFCE's window manager) for quite a while without any issues, but never used it elsewhere.
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Plank doesn't seem to care what window manager is running, although there are times when it does odd things.
However, I am using Mint Xfce at the moment and my standard panels on Left and Right often refuse to 'unhide' when I move the mouse to the edge of the screen. I also had a lot of dramas with Docky over the ears.

I used plank in Mint 19.x Xfce for quite a while with xfwm and also with compiz. It failed regularly in both and I soon got so used to running:
plank --preferences
in a Terminal, that I set it up as a shortcut on my panel.

I also got used to running: plank -n right, plank -n left, plank -n bottom (I think those were the commands from memory) when a plank failed to appear. I have a huge monitor (55 inch) and I have a dock / panel on each edge.

I often found Plank failed to open on one or more edges of the screen. For now I have solved my particular problem by having default Panels on top, left and right, and by running Cairo-Dock on my bottom. Uses about 42K of memory when running in openGL mode (Started using: cairo-dock -o usually by selecting openGL as a choice on first start, but you can edit the command in Startup Applications.), and it runs perfectly.

However, when it is working (which is most of the time) Plank is handy, simple and clean.

This is a little guide to Plank:
https://www.maketecheasier.com/download ... ck-ubuntu/

And this:
https://www.unixmen.com/plank-lightweight-dock-ubuntu/
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”