Show Conky on both desktops

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
claude_edmonton

Show Conky on both desktops

Post by claude_edmonton »

Having dual-monitors, is there a way to show Conky widget on both of my desktops?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Show Conky on both desktops

Post by zcot »

You can check the conky manual. see some info here: https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/wiki

I think you can find some setting in your config about display. You can check what value is in use by the program using the variable monitor also check monitor_number. So you can have a custom config specify a display to run on.

Or to run the same config on a particular monitor, use a start parameter:

Code: Select all

-X | --display= DISPLAY
              X11 display to use. Only available with build flag BUILD_X11 en‐
              abled.
so maybe: conky -X 1 -c /some/config.rc
claude_edmonton

zcot wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 8:30 pm You can check the conky manual. see some info here: https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/wiki

I think you can find some setting in your config about display. You can check what value is in use by the program using the variable monitor also check monitor_number. So you can have a custom config specify a display to run on.

Or to run the same config on a particular monitor, use a start parameter:

Code: Select all

-X | --display= DISPLAY
              X11 display to use. Only available with build flag BUILD_X11 en‐
              abled.
so maybe: conky -X 1 -c /some/config.rc
Display command made Linux Mint crash and restart. Then I had an black square instead of the theme I've choose and wasn't able to get rid of it. I've uninstalled Conky, I need something easier to display system info on my desktop, and for which I can easily change the parameters with a GUI interface, not command line.

I had a nice desklet before that did this, but it's not compatible with Linux Mint 20 and won't load anymore. Is there anything else out there that could do the job?
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

You would have to dig into it further, my example is not correct, however: conky -X :0 and conky -X :1 should show the same default configuration on X11 display 1 and 2(or well specifically ":0", and ":1" that is).

But anyway I don't know about Desklets, Cinnamon Spices, or GKrellM or other alternatives.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

claude_edmonton wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:58 pm I had a nice desklet before that did this, but it's not compatible with Linux Mint 20 and won't load anymore. Is there anything else out there that could do the job?

Which Desklet? Often it's just a case of updating the metadata to indicate compatibility with the new Cinnamon version.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
claude_edmonton

smurphos wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:28 pm
claude_edmonton wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:58 pm I had a nice desklet before that did this, but it's not compatible with Linux Mint 20 and won't load anymore. Is there anything else out there that could do the job?

Which Desklet? Often it's just a case of updating the metadata to indicate compatibility with the new Cinnamon version.
Simple system monitor. How do I update the metadata and why isn't the OS doing it by itself?

I have been having issues too with the weather applet since the distro upgrade.
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Hi,

Both you'll need to update. Spices updates are not automatic, nor in there an inbuilt mechanism to notify you of updates*

Open Menu > Preferences > Applets > Download. Refresh the cache if it asks you to. Any applets with updates available will have an update button next to them. At the bottom of the GUI there an update all button.

Open Menu > Preferences > Desklets > Download - and do the same thing.

* Hint - install this Applet to be notified of updates to your installed spices - https://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/309
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”