Global menu in Cinnamon?

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
imxaditya21
Level 1
Level 1

Global menu in Cinnamon?

Post by imxaditya21 »

I was wondering if I could have File Edit View Window Help etc, and active window's name on upper panel like macos on linuxmint. :D
img for better explaination https://postimg.cc/VdfC3hhD
Attachments
macoptions.png
macoptions.png (26.82 KiB) Viewed 3188 times
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: File, Edit etc menu options in panel

Post by xenopeek »

A common name for such is a global menu. From time to time there have been applets or plugins to make a global menu but at least for Cinnamon (Global AppMenu) and for MATE (TopMenu) these look to be dead. I don't readily know of alternatives but provide some specifics first.

If you want help with such you should at minimum include your Linux Mint version and desktop environment. Any solution is going to be specific to the desktop environment you're using and some solutions may be available for older/newer versions so be specific when asking for help. If you don't know what you installed you can run inxi -S on the terminal to get the needed info.
imxaditya21
Level 1
Level 1

Re: File, Edit etc menu options in panel

Post by imxaditya21 »

Here you go:
$ inxi -S
System:
Host: Inspiron-5559 Kernel: 5.4.0-65-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: Cinnamon 4.4.8 Distro: Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Global menu in Cinnamon?

Post by xenopeek »

I don't think you'll be able to get this working. Global AppMenu for Cinnamon was a 3rd party applet but the developer stopped supporting it. You can find old articles online about people trying to get the (half a decade ago) abandoned code to work on newer Cinnamon releases. If you search for "Cinnamon global menu" you'll find such like https://z-uo.medium.com/global-menu-in- ... fea74370fe. I wouldn't recommend it considering it's abandoned but if you must you and don't care you may be wasting time you could give it a try.

Before you do so I suggest to create a 2nd administrator account so if that you break it bad enough that you can't log in to your account you can log in to the 2nd account and from there delete the offending files from your own account.
imxaditya21
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Global menu in Cinnamon?

Post by imxaditya21 »

Thanks for simple answer, and if its not available i am not gonna install it

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”