Window borders - conky LM21

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Window borders - conky LM21

Post by AndyMH »

Best described visually:
LM20 conky.png
LM20 conky.png (87.07 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
Conky in LM20, no window borders showing.
LM21 conky.png
LM21 conky.png (97.44 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
Same conky in LM21, window borders showing.

Conky config:

Code: Select all

conky.config = {
    background = false,
    use_xft = true;
    font = 'Sans:size=8',
    xftalpha = 1,
    update_interval = 2.0,
    total_run_times = 0,
    own_window = true,
    own_window_class = 'Conky',
    own_window_transparent = true,
    own_window_type = 'desktop',
    own_window_hints = 'undecorated,below,sticky,skip_taskbar,skip_pager',
    double_buffer = true,
    minimum_height = 200,
    maximum_width = 240,
    draw_shades = false,
    draw_outline = false,
    draw_borders = false,
    draw_graph_borders = false,
    stippled_borders = 0,
    default_color = 'white',
    default_shade_color = 'grey',
    default_outline_color = 'white',
    alignment = 'top_right',
    gap_x = 28,
    gap_y = 34,
    no_buffers = true,
    uppercase = false,
    cpu_avg_samples = 2,
    override_utf8_locale = false,
    color0 = 'white',  
    color1 = 'FCFF69', 
    color2 = 'CCE6FF', 
    color3 = 'DAFFB3',  
    color4 = 'CCFFCC', 
    color5 = 'FFFF66', 
    short_units = true,
}
To save me trying all the different permutations on window borders, anyone know how to turn off the borders in LM21?
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
BeyondLies_MintForum
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Window borders - conky LM21

Post by BeyondLies_MintForum »

You could use some space between, on the one hand, (1) the screenshot, and associated legend, for Mint 20, and (2) the screenshot, and associated legend, for Mint 21. As your post stands, i.e. as it is at the moment, it is hard to tell what screenshot shows what. Matters are complicated by the fact that you have changed wallpaper between the two editions of Mint. But I take it that your problem is as follows. In Mint 20, the area covered by your Conky had no border, and that is how you like it; but, in Mint 21, the area covered by your Conky does have a border.

I have a Conky on a machine that I upgraded from Mint 20 to Mint 21. I too do not want a Conky border and I do not have your problem. Except, ah: I do have a faint, semi-transparent fill for the area used by my Conky (though that fill is noticeable only against some backgrounds). But I do not think that the fill has a border line. Screenshots (using first one background, then another).

Despite the differences in what we are after - you want no fill, I want and have a semi-transparent fill - perhaps my Conky configuration can help you.

The lines that seem most relevant from my Conky configuration

border_outer_margin = 3,
double_buffer = true,
draw_shades = false,
override_utf8_locale = true,
own_window = true,
own_window_argb_value = 3,
own_window_argb_visual = true,
own_window_hints = "undecorated,sticky,below,skip_taskbar,skip_pager",
own_window_transparent = false,
own_window_type = "desktop",
use_xft = true,
Analysis

Variables to which you assign values and that I do not
  • background
  • default_outline_color
  • draw_borders
  • draw_outline
  • stippled_borders
  • own_window_class
  • xftalpha
Variables to which I assign values and that you do not
  • border_outer_margin
  • own_window_argb_value
  • own_window_argb_visual
Variables to which you and I assign different values
  • own_window_transparent
  • override_utf8_locale
Good luck!
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

If you have own_window_transparent = true, then set this:

own_window_argb_visual = true,
leave own_window_argb_value(default 0, full transparency) alone, or you can set a value for it to tailor the amount of transparency.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Thanks zcot, was hoping you would respond. own_window_argb_visual = true fixed the problem and made the borders disappear.

Unfortunately, fix one problem, create another. I also have a custom weather conky, the guts of it is a python2 script pulling forecasts from the UK met office.

Without own_window_argb_visual = true
LM21 weather1.png

with own_window_argb_visual = true
LM21 weather2.png
The icons are washed out. The python2 script is using

ConkyTicon = ConkyTicon + "${image " + Iconfile + " -p " + str(ix) + "," + str(IconToffset) + "}"
to build a string including the correct icon files, e.g. w12.png offset correctly and finally

#today's forecast
print ConkyTicon                                           #Weather icons for today
Any ideas?
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

Yea, bummer, it figures.

I guess there's a regression with the later versions, maybe not though related with that argb visual, but with the normal transparency feature.

I think what we are seeing there is a product of the argb visual system and the overlay images are applied into the argb transparency function, so they are not placed on top of the overall transparency afterward because they become part of the total transparency as a whole. Using a base transparency background and then programmatically merging other images on top of that creates a weird situation. If you take a pure white background then merge other images and create transparency it becomes a different situation than taking a pure black background and doing the same. It has to do with the way the multiple images are merged, there are numerous merging possibilities, although we can't control what method conky is using unfortunately, -add/subtract/AND/OR, so it's a point of interest. I actually posted an issue about this years ago but it never went anywhere.

I'll dig into this, because I think you should be able to get by without using the argb visuals, they introduce some other side effects.

What WM is this?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

zcot wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:49 am What WM is this?
Bog standard, mutter:
viewtopic.php?p=2217212#p2217212
Working my way through all my applications/setup to find out what doesn't work with LM21.

Thanks for your efforts.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

I didn't forget. :wink:

It only reproduces on the Cinnamon setup though. I've been digging into mutter to see if that's the relationship or whether it's strictly theme related.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Nothing out of the ordinary on themes:
Screenshot from 2022-08-23 15-57-18.png
Thanks in advance for any effort you put into this.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

AndyMH wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:02 am Nothing
yea, nothing. :shock:

lol.

No actually, so I find if I boot to Cinnamon software rendering mode it works perfectly, -forget about anything argb_visual stuff, -not needed, just regular transparent window.

But oddly, for me anyway, in regular cinnamon mode, -that pc has an old legacy nvidia card(circa nvidia-304 driver) but running nouveau, -it doesn't act right in the first place, the menu is all garbled until you swipe the pointer across all the entries, the refresh is messed up or something, and yea, the shadow is there.

I've been playing butcher trying to force compiz at it, adding weird wm combos and stuff. I find I can mess it up pretty consistently! :P

But in software rendering mode, which would seem to be not really the intuitive way to handle a discrete gpu setup, it works fine.

I'll keep playing with it, just for curiousity.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”