[SOLVED] Syntax error

Add functionality to your desktop
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
0vrthnk3r
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Syntax error

Post by 0vrthnk3r »

Hi guys, few days ago I was start to learn about conky customize.
I am trying to open several separate conky's. Investigating I found this code:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh sleep 5 
conky -q -c /home/usrname/.conky/conkyrc1 & 
conky -q -c /home/usrname/.conky/conkyrc2 & exit
The code proposes to separate conky modules into different files to open different windows. I liked.
At first it worked perfectly, but last night I decided to switch from xfce to mate, and... I don't understand why, but it doesn't work. I searched for more examples, and what little I found is the same code as before changing "-q -c"

When I run the terminal, it returns this error:

Code: Select all

conkyrc:2: syntax error near '-') while reading config file. 
conky: Assuming it's in old syntax and attempting conversion.
And I don't know what to do.. if someone know about it and can you give me some advice, please..
Last edited by LockBot on Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Syntax error

Post by zcot »

You have to manually convert the script, it will work after that.

The current version of conky, which includes the internal conversion script, has a bug in the automatic conversion against pre-1.10 configs. The previous versions of conky worked correctly with the conversion. And the later versions of conky have fixed this internal script interaction but we are only using this bad version given in the default repository. The easy fix is to manually convert the script to the modern version, -this way the automatic internal conversion does not attempt to run(and will fail).

For conversion, see here: https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/wi ... ons#syntax

let us know if you have any issue.
0vrthnk3r
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Syntax error

Post by 0vrthnk3r »

zcot wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:49 am You have to manually convert the script, it will work after that.

The current version of conky, which includes the internal conversion script, has a bug in the automatic conversion against pre-1.10 configs. The previous versions of conky worked correctly with the conversion. And the later versions of conky have fixed this internal script interaction but we are only using this bad version given in the default repository. The easy fix is to manually convert the script to the modern version, -this way the automatic internal conversion does not attempt to run(and will fail).

For conversion, see here: https://github.com/brndnmtthws/conky/wi ... ons#syntax

let us know if you have any issue.
Thank you very much for the reply. I will be investigating the link.
For now I found a solution: conky manager 2.
It was to install the tool and the code worked directly, but I would like to be able to live without depending on the manager to solve my problems.

Return to “Compiz, Conky, Docks & Widgets”