foolproof method of wiping/formatting pendrive?

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
tpprynn
Level 3
Level 3

foolproof method of wiping/formatting pendrive?

Post by tpprynn »

There are about eight 'memory sticks'/ 'pendrives'/ 'usb keys' in my home and I am having a lot of trouble using them. Sometimes i'll use DD to make a live usb but then find I cannot erase and sometimes not even access the drive later. Or the program named 'Disks' in the Mint menus refuses to format the drives. There are just so many different error messages that I can't list them all, i'd have ot recreate too many scenarios for this post.

Sometimes I find that a live usb might need Windows to erase it after failing with Disks, GParted and the USB Image Writer in Mint, and sometimes I'll need Linux to make a drive useable that I'd made a live usb with Windows. Sometimes there might be a 64mb drive seen that is really 8gb. It seems so random, what move in the end works, and I can't understand why there isn't a foolproof procedure that will just format one of these drives. With Windows for someone using only Windows you've just got a simple right-click menu option that always then works. I had assumed that USB Image Writer was basically a front end for DD and so therefore I thought I wasn't using a ocnfusing number of procedures that would frazzle my computers.

So is there instead a foolproof commandline method, or script I can use that will absolutely always enable me to make a drive useable again in Linux. I am for the fifth or so time since 2008 trying to go 100% Linux but this is one fiasco that's holding me back. If I find something that works it will get pinned on the wall here until i die...

Idiot-proof instructions very welcome. If relevant, currently using 64 bit Mint 17 Xfce. Thanks.

ofb
Level 5
Level 5

Re: foolproof method of wiping/formatting pendrive?

Post by ofb »

I can confirm Disks has trouble formatting USB sticks. Instead use this:

Menu > Accessories > USB Stick Formatter

It has aways worked so far. I have no idea what the backstory is about DIsks, and why we have this separate utility at the moment.

For live-ISO I have been using USB Image Writer without trouble. To wipe and test USB sticks I use badblocks.

WharfRat
Level 21
Level 21

Post by WharfRat »

tpprynn,

Have you tried gparted :?:

As far as cl formatting goes, for vfat

Code: Select all

mkdosfs -F 32 /dev/sdc1
and for a linux file system

mkfs.ext2  /dev/sdc1
For an iso file

dd if=/path/to/file.iso of=/dev/sdc
ImageImage

rijnsma
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rijnsma »

tpprynn wrote:There are about eight 'memory sticks'/ 'pendrives'/ 'usb keys' in my home and I am having a lot of trouble using them. Sometimes i'll use DD to make a live usb but then find I cannot erase and sometimes not even access the drive later. Or the program named 'Disks' in the Mint menus refuses to format the drives. There are just so many different error messages that I can't list them all, i'd have ot recreate too many scenarios for this post.

Sometimes I find that a live usb might need Windows to erase it after failing with Disks, GParted and the USB Image Writer in Mint, and sometimes I'll need Linux to make a drive useable that I'd made a live usb with Windows. Sometimes there might be a 64mb drive seen that is really 8gb. It seems so random, what move in the end works, and I can't understand why there isn't a foolproof procedure that will just format one of these drives. With Windows for someone using only Windows you've just got a simple right-click menu option that always then works. I had assumed that USB Image Writer was basically a front end for DD and so therefore I thought I wasn't using a ocnfusing number of procedures that would frazzle my computers.

So is there instead a foolproof commandline method, or script I can use that will absolutely always enable me to make a drive useable again in Linux. I am for the fifth or so time since 2008 trying to go 100% Linux but this is one fiasco that's holding me back. If I find something that works it will get pinned on the wall here until i die...

Idiot-proof instructions very welcome. If relevant, currently using 64 bit Mint 17 Xfce. Thanks.
You're right, as good as Mint 17 is, this is a mess!
But I cán use 'Disks' together with 'Gparted' and 'USB stick formatter'. What one softy can not, the other can
when I have to make a fresh pendrive.

Next, which maybe has to do with it: here Unetbootin does not work right it appears. Also not a new version from the web.
And USB image-writer too does not do the job. No startups from ISO's of the 32bits OS on pendrive from 'Bios legacy'.
The only one which does do the trick is Startup disk creator (so this is a sort of salvator mundi :( ).
(Not the only backup here, I use Clonezillla for my partitions, but when I have to install a system from a
partition to another pc it cán be a bit of a disaster.)

Also making ISO's of a Linux-OS has become a headache (is everyting going well... I had here a distro, which
did not connect to the internet after installing a remaster from a live-usb and whát I did, it stayd that way). I do have (old)
Remastersyses, which no longer are being maintained by Fracadellic, the father of Remastersys. It was a great tool and one
has to pay now for a forkversion and now I'm daily searching for alternatives for Remastersys.
(PCLinuxOS's Texstar's Mylivecd does work great, but does not work in Mint I'm sorry to say... :? )

(I have tried today to Remaster Mint 17 MATE: burned it on a CD and did it on pendrive and indeed, the netconnection does not
work after remastering and boot
, also not with 'Wicd' instead fo the Gnome-netconnection-manager, like I told about the other
distro based on Ubuntu... So I have run out on 'Remasterlike' backup... Help.. )

I hope there will be a fast solution for these very annoying issues or maybe there IS already a solution, please tell us??... :wink:

Return to “Scripts & Bash”