How to start gdm without affecting the foreground applications

About writing shell scripts and making the most of your shell
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shivaninov10

How to start gdm without affecting the foreground applications

Post by shivaninov10 »

Hi Team,

This is Shivani , joined this forum today !

I am looking for a solution related to KDE. I have been surfing the net all these days but i have not got any solution for it. So am here finally.

Scenario explained :

We have few KDE related configuration files, like kwinrc, kwinrulesrc and some more that are available at /root/.kde/share/config/ . To customize the window behaviour and some workspace related changes we have these files modified and wanted the changes to happen during runtime . Like we have a folder of these files and running the script will copy all these config files to the /root/.kde/share/config/ , but changes doesnot take effect immediately. It works either by reboot or by restarting the gdm services manually , but problem is both these reboot and restart of the service causes the session to restart thereby killing the application or running processes.

what i need :

A way to have these changes take effect by itself without performing either of the above reboot or restart.

I want to understand whenever we do changes manually by going to the system settings, and click apply what services gets invoked ?

Please assist me on this!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: How to start gdm without affecting the foreground applications

Post by MrEen »

Found at https://askubuntu.com/questions/481329/ ... out/652701 for something similar in I believe Plasma 4

Alt+F2 and running:

Code: Select all

kwin --replace
This reloads KDE's compositor.

For Plasma 5 it's kwin_x11 or kwin_wayland depending on the server running behind.

Hope that helps.

Return to “Scripts & Bash”