Finding desktop settings for an Ansible script

About writing shell scripts and making the most of your shell
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gplat

Finding desktop settings for an Ansible script

Post by Gplat »

I need to write an Ansible script to configure Mint Mate workstations, specifically desktop settings. However, I can't really find the place where desktop settings live. I read something about dconf and gsettings, but I'm not sure where best to do this. So far I've only found a way to change the desktop background (replacing the default pic in /usr/share/backgrounds/linuxmint), but I haven't found a way to:

- remove the terminal from the panel
- increase all system fonts by 1
- increase the panel from 27 to 30
- allowing guest user sessions

Does anyone know how to do this or where to find these settings?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Finding desktop settings for an Ansible script

Post by xenopeek »

You can install dconf-tools to get the dconf editor GUI, to explore if any of these settings can be found in dconf / gsettings.

What have you tried so far to pin the location of where these configurations are stored? Personally how I'd approach it is:
1. touch a file to have a timestamp, like with command touch stamp
2. make one change to the system
3. find all files in your home directory that were changed after the touched file from step 1, like with command find ~ -type f -newer stamp
4. sort through the results to pin down where the configuration for that one change is likely stored
5. repeat from step 1 for the next change

If you find a match in ~/.config/gconf it means you can effect that change with dconf / gsettings. Otherwise you likely need some command to edit a text configuration file.

Return to “Scripts & Bash”