All Desktop Screenshots of 2021

Show off your customized Linux Mint desktop!
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: All Desktop Screenshots of 2021

Post by rossdv8 »

In my younger days I did crazy stuff like peeling sheep and chasing cows. A couple of time, in the Channel Country and again below Darwin I worked for blokes that on their day off, looked remarkably like the fellow in your signature.
One invited me to head off on what was probably one of the last droving trips in late 74, but I already had a seat on the mail plane. I often regret missing that drive, especially because as the only white boy in the team it might have been unique. That and the fact that by mid 1974 almost all droving was via road train.

Now to workout what I did wrong that's causing my imgur pic not to appear. It's something so simple, but my brain has missed a gear change.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:09 pm law and computer science + information technology.
As a humble engineer, that sounds a dangerous combination :D
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Overkill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Overkill »

rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Now, THAT looks like a nice Desktop view to start the day with :D
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
JTemple
Level 5
Level 5

Post by JTemple »

Selection_001.v01.png
Selection_001.v01.png (106.36 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

ugurcansayan Gave me an idea to follow with the 'exploded' ThinkPad image. I found one for my Yoda, but couldn't find one online anywhere for my M93p Tiny, so I copied a page from the manual, then went about making it into a Line Art transparency.

My Lenovo logo needs work still, and the rest is a bit rough, but it is getting there..
Screenshot_2021-05-19_14-50-22.jpg
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Getting away from nature..
E D I T E D:
Cleaned up the LENOVO Logo
WP-WoW-M93p-SFF.jpg
Screenshot_WoW-M93pT-May2021.jpg
Last edited by rossdv8 on Fri May 21, 2021 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ViolaAnderson
Level 1
Level 1

Post by ViolaAnderson »

amazing and big wallpaper screen shoot...!
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Moonstone Man »

AndyMH wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:28 am As a humble engineer, that sounds a dangerous combination :D
It was meant to be that way, I planned on being a formidable corporate lawyer but I enjoyed working with computers so much I gave the legal stuff away. It's funny how things turn out though, all my technical experience has recently (just this week) found me in a job implementing legislation and business change management for the gubbernment.
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Ivy_Pool love the picture of the kingfisher bird in the rain - I grabbed a copy for a wallpaper.

rossdv8 thanks for posting about the convert command. It made me think that while it would be adequate for some images to be downsized there are some (say with small font that you might see in a conky) that tend to look blurred. If that happens there might be yet another option to try:

convert filename.png -quality 80 filenameq80.jpg

That should make a screenshot png file that is 1.7MiB into a jpg file that is 179 KiB (or 183.4 kB) without changing the image size.The quality value can be massaged until the file size is good. Most forum viewers may have to click the image a second time to see the full size but the quality should be good.

Of course there are on-line image converters for those that don't like the terminal.

XFCEq80.jpg
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

I like the way that wallpaper looks!
Imagemagick, and specifically the convert command is one of the least understood graphics tools in Linux.

For anyone who missed it, here's the link to one of the most complete archives of imagemagick scripts.
Fred has been responsible for writing graphics tools for some of the most important computer graphics projects over many years.
Anyone interested in processing images in Linux should probably bookmark this link and explore some of the scripts.
Many of them provide a quick and simple way to do what takes a lot of clicks in GIMP or other programs, especially if you want to process a whole folder of images.
imagemagick is to graphics, a bit like ffmpeg is to video...

http://www.fmwconcepts.com/imagemagick/index.php

E D I T:
To make it easier to resize Desktop Screenshots, I've made a further modification to Cesare Riva's excellent little script for a Custom (Right Click) Thunar action.
The change is just to increase the Quality setting from 75% to 80% and to add a few more percentage setting choices (I also had to increase the size of the Zenity window to accommodate them.
I decided not to be so lazy and changed the script to rename the resized files (appending -resized).

This works in Thunar but should work in any File Manager that allows you to add a Custom Action.

To make it work, create a new file called picture_resize.sh and copy the code below into it, then save it and make it Executable.
Copy that script into ~/home/.config/Thunar/custom_actions

Open Thunar and go to:
Edit > Configure custom actions >
Click the + to create a New Custom Action
Enter the following:
Name: RESIZE Image
Description: Resize Image
Command: /home/ross/.config/Thunar/custom_actions/picture_resize.sh %N
Keyboard Shortcut:
Use Startup Notification [ ] (blank)

NOTE !!!

The Resize percentage is the FINISHED size - not the amount it reduces the image by.
The resized files will be in a folder called 'resized' in whatever directory your images are in.
There will be a resized .png and a .jpg of each image you process.
You CAN select (at least you can in Thunar) multiple images each time.
If your resized images are too big, just go back (out of the 'resized' folder' and do it again. That will overwrite those files in the 'resized' folder with the new size.
The images in the 'resized' folder now have -resized appended to the filename.
This is the code needed to get a good range of sizes (to finely adjust size and quality to fit limits:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# Title   : Thunar Custom Action to resize a picture
# Author  : Cesare Riva
# Modified by RossDv8 (added more % choices and now appends -resized to the filenames)
# Version : 1.0
# Date    : 17-03-2016   

DEST="./resized"
WIDTH=160
HEIGHT=550 
QUALITY=80

# check required software
CHECK=("convert" "zenity")
for i in "${CHECK[@]}"
do
  if ! command -v $i >/dev/null 2>&1 ; then
      echo "Error: '$i' not found (install the appropriate package)" 1>&2
      exit 1
  fi
done

resize=$(zenity --width=$WIDTH --height=$HEIGHT --list \
  --text "Choose resize % - [% = Desired File Size]" --radiolist  --column "%" --column "Resize"\
   FALSE 15 FALSE 20 FALSE 25 FALSE 35 FALSE 45 TRUE 50 FALSE 60 FALSE 75 FALSE 80 FALSE 85 FALSE 90 FALSE 95);

# check if "Cancel" button
if ! [[ $resize ]];
then
  exit 1
fi

mkdir -p $DEST

for file
    do
    if [ ! -e $file ]
        then
        continue
    fi
    to_name="$DEST/"$(echo $file | cut -f1 -d.)"-resized.jpg"
    convert -resize $resize% -quality $QUALITY "${file}" "${to_name}"
     to_name="$DEST/"$(echo $file | cut -f1 -d.)"-resized.png"
    convert -resize $resize% -quality $QUALITY "${file}" "${to_name}"
done

exit 0
Overkill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Overkill »

rossdv8 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:32 pm Now, THAT looks like a nice Desktop view to start the day with :D
Thanks! :)
manoj
Level 1
Level 1

Post by manoj »

I switched from Windows to Linux permanently on March 2020. It has been more than one year of superfast system response and no crashes! Also, this is my first post on LM forums :)

DE: XFCE 4.14.1
Theme: Mint-Y-Dark-Blue
Icons: Papirus-Dark
Fonts: Roboto 10
Global App Menu on Panel enabled with Plank Dock and Conky.

palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Nice desktop shot manoj. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum.
Panther_stu
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Panther_stu »

Hi all,
so been away from Linux for a few years now, and just come back, and using Mint as my primary desktop.
Only been a few days, but here is my desktop so far

Overkill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Overkill »

LinXP :D

rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Still playing with Transparency in MINT 20.1 Xfce
PulseEffects (the thing with the horizontal blue lines) is using Crtl+Alt+scroll wheel for whole app transparency.
All the others (Dolphin file manager, Pulse Audio Volume Control and QMMP player) only have the backgrounds transparent, while the foreground elements controls and buttons are 100% Opaque.

Background is my old 'Home' at anchor in The Whitsundays
Overkill
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Overkill »

Winamp is still alive?
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

I installed qmmp, then unpacked some WinAmp skins into /home/user/.qmmp/skins/

There are lots of skins still around. I downloaded a skin collection pack from somewhere that I found in a search:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=winamp+skin+p ... &ia=images

There are also hundreds (I think) of skins here to download for free, that can be used to skin Qmmp.
https://archive.org/details/winampskins

I like qmmp because it is simple, it is compact, although on a big monitor like my 55 inch, or any other High DPI screen you need to use the Double Size setting, it plays almost any Audio and Video formats (weird extensions) and it takes up very little screen estate.

Unlike a lot of the others, Clementine and qmmp both let you clear the playlist using a right click option.
qmmp however, leaves the current item playing in the empty playlist until either the current item is finished, or a new item in the new playlist is clicked.

Obviously, because I use mostly transparent apps in Xfce, (word processors, file managers etc) I like that some of the WinAmp skins allow transparent elephents. .
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Here is my current screen on the Lemur Pro
Attachments
neofetch lemur pro.png
Lemur-Pro-screen.jpg

Return to “Screenshots”