Unofficial Post Your Linux Mint Desktop Thread

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Unofficial Post Your Linux Mint Desktop Thread

Post by bimsebasse » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:53 pm

LM12RC desktop - not much mint branding left but very happy newcomer anyway :)

Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:51 pm

LM12RC'Lisa' desktop - with bottompanel away and conky
HP Z400 Workstation
LMDE 3 Cindy

HpX
Level 1
Level 1

Post by HpX » Sat Nov 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Testing LM 12
Mine.jpg
Mine.jpg (102.55 KiB) Viewed 3912 times
Linux is not user-friendly. It _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:22 pm

OK, this is Mint 12 Lisa set up exactly the way I used Gnome 2 in Mint 11. For me anyway, this equals 100% success of Mint 12.

Peppermint OS 10

lKingjr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lKingjr » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:36 pm

I figured I'd post a LM12 shot as well...
there are three groups of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

synaptic_d
Level 1
Level 1

Post by synaptic_d » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:56 pm

Here is my Mint 12 dual monitor set up.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:00 pm

Nice theme Lou, and nice setup synaptic_d.
Peppermint OS 10

lKingjr
Level 5
Level 5

Post by lKingjr » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:08 pm

there are three groups of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

rhY
Level 3
Level 3

Post by rhY » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:00 am

Wow. Seriously hate Mint 12. Am I the only one? Top task bar is horrid, can't add shortcuts to either task bar.... I'm NOT moving myself or any of my clients to this OS unless it gets fixed big time. Just popped in here to see if anyone had gotten it to be usable (IE like Mint 10 or 11), and I don't really see one so far.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:42 am

rhY wrote:Wow. Seriously hate Mint 12. Am I the only one? Top task bar is horrid, can't add shortcuts to either task bar.... I'm NOT moving myself or any of my clients to this OS unless it gets fixed big time. Just popped in here to see if anyone had gotten it to be usable (IE like Mint 10 or 11), and I don't really see one so far.
Are you sure you took enough time to check out the new RC? Here's mine set up just like Mint 11 with taskbar on the bottom, icons on the desktop, right-click works on the taskbar and the desktop, and I am able to put shortcuts on the panel if I want to, I just don't like them there. The only thing missing is the regular Mint Menu, and Clem says that's on the way.

Peppermint OS 10

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:05 pm

tdockery97...by regular mint menu...do you mean just like the old one in gnome 2? It's going to be on the mint 12 mgse final release?
when i say old one, i mean like the one mint had up until now as opposed to the new design that is appearing in the release candidate...

simpleblue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simpleblue » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:43 pm

Linux Mint 10
Dirty
Dirty
Screenshot-1.jpg (552.03 KiB) Viewed 3597 times

BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Sweet desk, simpleblue. Can we get details on themes and settings? I know it's probably a GNOME session but I'm still curious to know how you achieve it.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Now very happily running SolydK
My new Linux blog: Tux + Me
It's time for Dodgers baseball!

spsf64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spsf64 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:39 pm

tdockery97 wrote:
rhY wrote:Wow. Seriously hate Mint 12. Am I the only one? Top task bar is horrid, can't add shortcuts to either task bar.... I'm NOT moving myself or any of my clients to this OS unless it gets fixed big time. Just popped in here to see if anyone had gotten it to be usable (IE like Mint 10 or 11), and I don't really see one so far.
Are you sure you took enough time to check out the new RC? Here's mine set up just like Mint 11 with taskbar on the bottom, icons on the desktop, right-click works on the taskbar and the desktop, and I am able to put shortcuts on the panel if I want to, I just don't like them there. The only thing missing is the regular Mint Menu, and Clem says that's on the way.

This screenshot is just great! :mrgreen:
Is this gnome shell full or the classic one?
Another question, how did you move the clock/date to the right? I just got mine centered, it only moves by itself when there many windows open...

edit: just solved the clock position, so easy (once again alt + right click + move)
Sergio

simpleblue
Level 2
Level 2

Post by simpleblue » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:57 pm

BostonPeng wrote:Sweet desk, simpleblue. Can we get details on themes and settings? I know it's probably a GNOME session but I'm still curious to know how you achieve it.
It's Commodore OS, but before the forum goes crazy saying I'm promoting another desktop, it actually runs ontop of Mint 10. There are no add-ons and this is the stock distro, so I don't know how it's done.

BostonPeng
Level 5
Level 5

Post by BostonPeng » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:29 pm

I love the way the titlebars look. Thanks for the info.
J.M. "BostonPeng" Hardin
Now very happily running SolydK
My new Linux blog: Tux + Me
It's time for Dodgers baseball!

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:37 pm

spsf64 wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:

It's MATE. Well, either that or tdockery managed to make Gnome Shell look exactly like MATE. You can choose a MATE session from the new login screen.

Honestly no offence intended but you know you're on the Mint forum when a very 90s windows looking desktop is described as "great" :D
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

karashata
Level 4
Level 4

Post by karashata » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's the GNOME 3 fallback mode. It's not quite the same as GNOME 2 was, but if one takes the time, one can configure it to fairly closely resemble what GNOME 2 was. Once Clem ports the Mint Menu to GNOME 3, I'm sure one could very easily configure the fallback session to resemble the default Mint GNOME 2 session, I'm pretty sure Mint Menu is all that's missing as far as the default configured panel applets go.
Linux Mint user since 2010, fluffy dragon forever!
Registered Linux User #473695

spsf64
Level 1
Level 1

Post by spsf64 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:59 pm

bimsebasse wrote: Image

It's MATE. Well, either that or tdockery managed to make Gnome Shell look exactly like MATE. You can choose a MATE session from the new login screen.

Honestly no offence intended but you know you're on the Mint forum when a very 90s windows looking desktop is described as "great" :D
Hi bimsebasse, thanks for replying.
I don't think it is MATE, probably gnome shell 3 classic fallback check my post here : http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 80#p494072
About the "great', I really liked the panel @bottom... I think I share similar taste on desktop looking as tdockery97, lol!
Sergio

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:10 pm

Yes, it is indeed the fallback mode (the classic gnome with effects enabled). Like I've said before, the fallback is currently still here and will most likely be in the next LTS (Mint 13), so you will be able to have a good Gnome 2 facsimile for another 5 years. :D
Peppermint OS 10

Return to “Desktop Screenshots”