Unofficial Post Your Linux Mint Desktop Thread

tjmax
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Unofficial Post Your Linux Mint Desktop Thread

Post by tjmax »

Its been ages since i played in linux, But here is my 12 as it sits atm.

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Wow, very cool tjmax. 8)
Mint Cinnamon 19.3

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cwwgateway »

Here is my VBox installation of Lisa with some extensions:
One that looks like gnome 2.32

One that also sort of looks like gnome 2.32:

P.S.
The first picture is supposed to have a window list just like the second one but it didn't come through for some reason.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing
Old Gateway Pentium 4 Desktop - Arch Linux 64-bit Xfce and SolydX 32-bit Sid

JordanV0712
Level 1
Level 1

Post by JordanV0712 »

Hi all! I would like to say that coming here gives me a lot of ideas for my own KDE Kubuntu setup, and I wanted to say thank you! :D
Linux Mint 12 KDE

iTheMaster
Level 1
Level 1

Post by iTheMaster »

Changed the default theme to show a dark top panel and icons from Zorin OS 5 (you can get them here).
Also enabled the Computer, Home and Trash shortcuts from desktop.

esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

Here is my Mint 12 Lisa: pure Gnome-shell with some tweaked extensions (not MATE nor Classic).
Not very pretentious but with most of the minty touch (only one panel at bottom) now in a 3D accelerated DE.

Instructions for tweaks here.
Sorry, I only speak Spanish

tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Nice esteban1uy. Here's mine, Gnome-Shell, with some tweaks thanks to esteban1uy:

Mint Cinnamon 19.3

craig10x
Level 7
Level 7

Post by craig10x »

wow...esteban1uy extensions set up would have made the perfect "default" for linux mint 12 MGSE....just one panel on bottom, transparent, windows list and all...great! To bad Clem didn't see this before releasing Mint 12...

what was used to set it up?

bimsebasse
Level 7
Level 7

Post by bimsebasse »

esteban1uy wrote:Here is my Mint 12 Lisa: pure Gnome-shell with some tweaked extensions (not MATE nor Classic).
Not very pretentious but with most of the minty touch (only one panel at bottom) now in a 3D accelerated DE.

Instructions for tweaks here.
This is looking perfect now, really nice job.
Thank you for this thread. That’s all I can say. You most definitely have made this forum into something special. You clearly know what you are doing, you’ve covered so many bases. Thanks!

meece
Level 1
Level 1

Post by meece »

It's interesting to note that most of the posted Mint 12 Desktops have reverted back to Mint 10/11 single Task bar on the bottom or docks to do the same thing :D

esteban1uy's desktop above is how Mint 12 *should* have looked out of the box :wink:

swftech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swftech »

Mint 12 Lisa, I turned off the bottom panel in favor of using CairoDock. The Mint icon on the far left of the dock is a full Mint menu, so no need for the bottom panel or the Mint menu extensions to be turned on.
Trying to post the image but it's only showing half of it for some reason, so I think it might be too wide? Not sure what's up with that. I clicked the image tag and entered the image url in between. Anyway had to link to it as well so you can see the whole screen. If someone knows why only half of the image is showing up please let me know.

http://i.minus.com/im7SHbRDS0R8i.png

Last edited by swftech on Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cwwgateway »

I have had trouble with maximised windows with the reflection extension. The panel overlaps maximised windows instead of staying solid. I haven't been able to find a fix. Otherwise, I am having few problems with the gnome shell/extensions
Thanks.
Dell XPS 15 l502x - Debian Testing 64-bit NetInst Xfce, SolydX 64-bit Debian Testing, SolydK 64-bit SolydXK Testing

esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

cwwgateway wrote:I have had trouble with maximised windows with the reflection extension. The panel overlaps maximised windows instead of staying solid. I haven't been able to find a fix. Otherwise, I am having few problems with the gnome shell/extensions
Thanks.
There is a problem with some shell themes and the reflections extension. The case is that theme designers didn't know that we can have only one panel/taskbar at the bottom of the screen using a tweaked version of the reflections extension, so they designed their themes to expand completely downwards. But you can correct that by editing the theme's stylesheet, as I did with the new Minty theme.

Did you try the Minty theme attached to the tweaks post?

cwwgateway
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cwwgateway »

Not yet, and I'm dont have access to my Linux mint 12 computer right now so I can't try it at the moment. How would you edit the mint-z theme to get reflection to work?

esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

cwwgateway wrote:Not yet, and I'm dont have access to my Linux mint 12 computer right now so I can't try it at the moment. How would you edit the mint-z theme to get reflection to work?
Well, I don't use mint-z but I think you can do the same I did with Minty.
Take a look at this thread.

esteban1uy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by esteban1uy »

cwwgateway wrote:Not yet, and I'm dont have access to my Linux mint 12 computer right now so I can't try it at the moment. How would you edit the mint-z theme to get reflection to work?
Ok. Let's do it the easy way.
Open a terminal and do a sudo gedit /urs/share/themes/Mint-Z/gnome-shell/gnome-shell.css
Now scroll down to the section "Panel" and look for the value "height" (line 383) and change it from "24px" to "2.3em", save, restart gnome-shell (Alt+F2 r) and that's all!

Now you know the trick, so you can apply it to any shell theme to correct that problem, but you have to try with different "height" values until you find one which works properly.

Ginsu543
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Ginsu543 »

Looks like everyone is trying out Mint 12 RC. I'm not quite ready to date Lisa yet. In the meantime, here are some screenshots of my Katya desktop:

ImageImageImage
Main: Intel Core i7 920 D0 @ 4.0 GHz | Asus P6X58D Premium | 12 GB Mushkin Redline PC3-12800 7-8-7-24 | EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 64 / OS X 10.7.3
Portables: Toshiba Portege R200 | Mint 17.2 Cinnamon 32 / Dell Mini 9 | OS X 10.6.7

swftech
Level 1
Level 1

Post by swftech »

Ginsu543 wrote:Looks like everyone is trying out Mint 12 RC. I'm not quite ready to date Lisa yet. In the meantime, here are some screenshots of my Katya desktop:
Ginsu543 very nice, creative desktops! Can u explain a little about what you used to get that awesome look on your Firefly screens?

mikkoh79

Post by mikkoh79 »

I wondered yesterday if I would update my mint to 12 Lisa. But then, everything works well with Julia, so decided not to update before Mint 13 LTS.

My desktop looks nowadays like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

ilovelinux

Post by ilovelinux »

A very minimalist desktop, with a simple Conky Mint setup. I like keeping my desktop squeaky clean. First time really customizing a Linux install as well as first time using Conky, so it's still a work in progress at the moment.

(clicky for full size image)

Return to “Desktop Screenshots”