All Desktop Screenshots of 2021

Show off your customized Linux Mint desktop!
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ABitMenthol77
Level 2
Level 2

Re: All Desktop Screenshots of 2021

Post by ABitMenthol77 »

People say I am a bit nuts. Can't see where they get that idea from LOL.

Jamie, Sheffield UK
Setup: Starlabs Star Lite MKII running Linux Mint 21.1 Cinamon Desktop.
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgement."
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

My 'Bliss Hill' wallpaper, it's a field down the lane from the house.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Rift Zone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rift Zone »

Just moved in like 3 days ago... Might get more creative as I get more used to Linux.

[psst, what's the command to get that cool stats output many are sporting?]
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

I think you are referring to neofetch if you mean the terminal window with the mint logo in ascii code next to system details. otherwise the desktop overlay is called conky
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Rift Zone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rift Zone »

antikythera wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:12 pm I think you are referring to neofetch if you mean the terminal window with the mint logo in ascii code next to system details. otherwise the desktop overlay is called conky
neofetch was what I was looking for! Thanks for that. =)

[yes i do feel silly for not trying harder to pull that off the screen shots. =)]
Last edited by Rift Zone on Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Nice to have another join the fold! Unlike many, I have no issues with Windows, personally (my main desktop PC runs Win10), but I've had Mint on my laptop since 2012 and I have MX Linux on my other mini laptop. It's just fun to tinker with it!

Check out Cool Retro Term if you want a cool-looking Terminal as well! :D
Rift Zone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rift Zone »

darkstrike wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:19 pm Nice to have another join the fold! Unlike many, I have no issues with Windows, personally (my main desktop PC runs Win10), but I've had Mint on my laptop since 2012 and I have MX Linux on my other mini laptop. It's just fun to tinker with it!

Check out Cool Retro Term if you want a cool-looking Terminal as well! :D
That's cool. I done migrated =) This is my only system, at this moment, anyway. Actually gonna get a pc, but we're talking NUCbox.

Tinker is right! :lol: I'm looking at ranging from Arch to networking in arduinos and Pis...robitics... As for old school, probably stick to my humble beginnings and do a DOS 6.22 box...network that in too. =)
darkstrike
Level 5
Level 5

Post by darkstrike »

Haha, nice! This is a great forum....ask away whenever you have questions or need help! :P

Here's my current desktop setup to stay on topic! I run a customized version of the 'Minimalis' theme in Conky, with a nice setup of Cairo Dock at the far right :)
Screenshot at 2021-02-23 17-54-17.jpg
Rift Zone
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Rift Zone »

darkstrike wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:56 pm Haha, nice! This is a great forum....ask away whenever you have questions or need help! :P

Here's my current desktop setup to stay on topic! I run a customized version of the 'Minimalis' theme in Conky, with a nice setup of Cairo Dock at the far right :)
Nice. Happy to be here. Oh yea, I imagine I'll have a lot questions, once I'm competent enough to know what to ask. lol

Ok, so the overlay is way cool. Took me a minute, but happy to report I know just enough to get Conky mostly running and tweaked to my taste a little. Seeing my CPU run at 32 deg F though? :lol: and I have dropped fields... Meh. Imagine I'll be better equipped to deal with that soon.
Thanks to "justLearning2" and their used to be "4k Orange Conky config" skin.
CarrotCake
Level 2
Level 2

Post by CarrotCake »

So this is my desktop.

Not very different from the Mint default.
I tried some docks but decided I like the standard panel better. Only tweaks I did were regarding the panel elements and panel transparency, and mouse cursors.
Not very flashy but I like it this way.
Running Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon on a Lenovo Ideapad 16ACH6
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

CarrotCake wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:48 am Not very flashy but I like it this way.
Very nice - clean and simple.
This is why I really enjoy this thread - everyone has different tastes and creative ideas.
I cannot find the screen shot I made of a Cinnamon desktop I made that looked as if there was no panel at all, no desklets nothing - just the background. It was interesting and did work but not very practical.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

I did this on our kitchen laptop because we are always checking the weather.

Cinnamon DE
Windows boarders: Cinnamox-Kashmir-Blue
Icons: Windows 10
Controls: Cinnamox-Heather
Mouse Pointer: Oxy-blue
Desktop:Cinnamox-Heather

Desklets:
Battery level indicator
Weather desklet
Clock desklet

Extensions:
Transparent panels
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

That looks handy but unfortunately BBC weather services are fairly rubbish at the moment, there's even missing information for locations in the United Kingdom. They changed to a different Weather forecasting provider because they put their services out to tender and some Spanish Company undercut what the Met Office wanted. Since then both their TV forecasts and online services have been way off. I rely on ITN (they do news and weather for ITV/Channel 4 and Channel 5) instead which still uses the Met Office and is far more accurate on the whole. I'd suggest you use a provider stateside if it's available in the Widget options like weather underground (wunderground). Sadly the Met Office isn't or I'd use the widget again. As it stands I can get a more accurate forecast than the BBC provide with a generic Chinese made electronic weather station with wireless outdoor sensors bought off amazon.

EDIT - Making Mint Pop! (well use it's font styles anyway because they are easy on the eye)

I don't recommend trying the PPA method to install the fonts unless you ONLY install the font package and then remove the PPA straight away. Reason being, if you leave it enabled Mint Update will want to update all manner of core packages including the flatpak framework, kernel, graphics stack and systemd.

https://github.com/pop-os/fonts
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I wrote my own weather conky parsing data from the met office.
Screenshot from 2021-02-26 08-57-54.png
and an arduino (actually an ESP8266) based 'weather station'. Think the humidity sensor is broke, sensor fell off its fitting and filled with water :(
Screenshot from 2021-02-26 09-03-22.png
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Kudos, it looks much better too. I have a friend who lives in Devices, it's always an interesting experience driving down roads with signs warning of tanks crossing to get to it. The sensor may recover, give it time.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

antikythera wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:11 pm That looks handy but unfortunately BBC weather services are fairly rubbish at the moment,
I don't know where the BBC gets it's USA weather but it has been "close enough." Yeah, they predicted 68F the other day and it got up to 70F, so . . . . . . I don't measure wind speed but windy vs not windy works for us. They are actually very good at predicating "sunny" vs "cloudy" vs "partly cloudy" - I like that. I suppose our local weather is rubbish as well as the BBC is no worse than what we get from the newspaper or TV.
NightwingPR
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NightwingPR »

My Desktop Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1

palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Cool Retro Term, Xviewer, Firefox, Thunar. I modified Adapta-Nokto so buttons didn't look out of place with Breeze theme.
vague_statement
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vague_statement »

My screen is pretty small, so I've been experimenting with not having any panels and relying on alt-tab and shortcuts to launch apps. Works fine as long as the wifi is stable and you don't need to check the time...

Wallpaper is my own work, from my local "bliss" hill. It's here: http://backgroundcharacter.com
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

vague_statement wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:58 pm My screen is pretty small, so I've been experimenting with not having any panels and relying on alt-tab and shortcuts to launch apps. Works fine as long as the wifi is stable and you don't need to check the time...

Wallpaper is my own work, from my local "bliss" hill. It's here:
Nice work - I have played with a completely clean desktop as well - it looks nice of course but in the end not very convenient.

-break -

Here I took another crack at our kitchen laptop to keep the weather and time easy to see

Cinnamon
theme: Cinnamox-Heather
icons: Windows 10 (from B00merang)
cursor: oxy-blue

Extension: Transparent panels

Desklets: Weather, Clock

Return to “Screenshots”