Almost finished ricing

Show off your customized Linux Mint desktop!
Forum rules
Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
legacypowers
Level 4
Level 4

Almost finished ricing

Post by legacypowers »

A global menu is missing and also some of the Window Decoration accents need to be changed to a Nord palette, and i need to find an icon-set round and nord-ish
I'm a HUGE fan of the Nord color scheme, it is one of the themes that pleases my eye on daytime and night-time(with redshift)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Terminal - zsh wrote: ╭─legacy@forums.linuxmint.com
╰─➜ _
Mintstant Karma
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Almost finished ricing

Post by Mintstant Karma »

That's nice looking but I have too little experience customizing Linux distros to appreciate whatever effort was involved. I clicked mainly out of curiosity about "ricing," a word I'd never heard before outside of food. :P I did some research and now I know, so thanks for inspiring the education. :wink: Love the mountain background.
AwesomeOpossum74
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AwesomeOpossum74 »

"ricing" haha ... It's not rice if it looks good.

I like it. That blue pops a bit harsh for me on that nice dark theme.
AwesomeOpossum74
Level 3
Level 3

Post by AwesomeOpossum74 »

Mintstant Karma wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 2:46 pm That's nice looking but I have too little experience customizing Linux distros to appreciate whatever effort was involved.
Really not much effort involved here. Mint makes it pretty simple. He pretty much just moved/rearranged some panels, and installed a theme or two. Probably no cli or text file changes.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Being a car guy . . . . the term "ricing" is car slang for modifying Japanese cars. Sometimes modified Japanese cars are called "ricers" and usually not in a complimentary way. I do not consider myself overtly PC but it is a term I am not really comfortable with because it comes across as derogatory . . . . . but maybe that's just me.
Mintstant Karma
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mintstant Karma »

Well it looks like I resurrected a hibernating topic. :D

Majpooper, I get it. I'm not overtly p.c. myself but that term could be taken as offensive, so I think your caution and attitude are respectable. That said, I gather it has nothing to do with the grain (which is stereotypically Asian, for good and inoffensive reasons). A definition I found on reddit in my aforementioned research: "In the car world, RICE stands for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement."

Translating that to the computer world, I gather it means cosmetic changes that make something cool, pretty, or flashy, but does little or nothing to enhance performance. I've got nothing against that. I just wish I had that kind of free time! :roll: :P As is, my computer is mostly just a tool, and an overworked one at that.
RollyShed
Level 8
Level 8

Post by RollyShed »

So maybe the title should have been RICING (or RICEing) in capitals?
Definitely sounds like a US thing, not English. :( :roll:
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

Mintstant Karma wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:01 pm "In the car world, RICE stands for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement."
Never heard of that one but I do hang around with car guys and do modify my cars - and maybe this is a America specific term which admittedly I don't particularly like. Google "ricer car" and you will get the jist.
What is a “ricer car” and should this term be used?

A “ricer car” is a phrase some people use to describe cheap cars, typically made by Asian manufacturers, that have been modified in a tacky or garish way by their owners. Although the term is somewhat common, and is now used to refer even to non-Asian cars, its origins make it a pejorative term with racist origins. It’s useful to know what this phrase means in case you hear it, but you probably shouldn’t add it to your own vocabulary.
My Japanese modified cars:

Return to “Screenshots”