[SOLVED] Keyboard & Mouse stopped working in X / GDM3

Archived topics about LMDE 1
Forum rules
Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:08 pm

[SOLVED] Keyboard & Mouse stopped working in X / GDM3

Post by kaefert » Sun May 06, 2012 4:17 am


I am really frustrated right now. My LDME installation is just about 1 month old and I invested really lots of time to make it look and work just the way I like it..

Yesterday evening, about 12 hours ago, my Notebook while running just stopped taking input from both keyboard and mouse. I was already quite tired, it was late and I just turned it off by hardware shutdown and went to sleep.

When I turned it on again today in the morning, the keyboard worked fine in grub and until I am still in the console, but as soon as X starts and I get the login prompt, there is no keyboad or mouse.

I learned that I can use strg+print+r to get back the keyboard and switch to a another tty --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key

I found out that when I run /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop and afterwards X, I get only a blank screen, but when I again with the key combo from above get back to the tty from where I started X I get the error that the module "nv" cannot be loaded. So I thought since grub still shows one older kernel I try this, but the result stays the same.

I found the suggestion to move away the xorg.conf file from /etc/X11/xorg.conf to have a new one generated, but it doesn't exist on my system.

Another suggestion I found was to put this block in the xorg.conf file:

Code: Select all

Section "ServerFlags"
   Option "AutoAddDevices" "false "
Which did not resolve the issue for me, but when manually starting X added to the one not found module "nv" also the not found modules "kdb" and "mouse".

Some other guy posted that he resolved such an issue by installing the package xserver-xorg-input-evdev --> but my aptitude reports its already installed..

Thats about how far I got. no solution though.. I really don't want to start over again with setting up my system. please help me!

EDIT: Okey, so this nice guy <bofh80> from the IRC channel #linuxmint-debian told me how to get the properitary nvidia drivers running:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx nvidia-xconfig
sudo nvidia-xconfig
After rebooting I get the nice nvidia logo, but keyboard and mouse still don't work in the GUI, keyboard works in the console. Please help me!

EDIT: User <Ben> from the IRC channel asked me to paste my sources.list, here it is:
deb ftp://gd.tuwien.ac.at/linux/mint/packages/ debian main upstream import
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest testing main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/security testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.linuxmint.com/latest/multimedia testing main non-free
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/gnome3/ubuntu oneiric main
deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/gnome3/ubuntu oneiric main
# deb http://oupensource.wandisco.com/debian squeeze svn17
# deb-src http://oupensource.wandisco.com/debian squeeze svn17
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/dajhorn/skype- ... der/ubuntu oneiric main
Last edited by kaefert on Sun May 06, 2012 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:43 pm

Re: Keyboard & Mouse stopped working in X / GDM3

Post by chattr » Sun May 06, 2012 7:32 am

You just were in the lmde irc channel and asked for help, but left four minutes later. Please don't leave so soon, especially on a Sunday (it's about 7:30 am where I am).

Pastebin the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file from the machine giving you trouble. If you have package pastebinit installed, you can use that command line|terminal app to pastebin the log file by doing

Code: Select all

pastebinit -i /var/log/Xorg.0.log
and you shoudl get a url.

Rejoin the irc channel and give us the url.

Level 2
Level 2
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:08 pm

Re: Keyboard & Mouse stopped working in X / GDM3

Post by kaefert » Sun May 06, 2012 11:41 am

sooo, sorry again for leaving but I only have this one machine available here and I had to always switch between a live system to be able to browse and chat to find a solution and my damaged system.

For documentational purposes, I document the solution here:
The cause of my problem was that I while following some guide to allow an aplication called "Flashtool" to flash *.ftf files onto a sony xperia ray android smartphone. This guide told me to add the line
#SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ACTION=="add", SYSFS{idVendor}=="0fce", SYSFS{idProduct}=="*", MODE="0777"
to my /etc/udev/udev.conf
So to fix it, I had to first remove this line, and second call dpkg-reconfigure -plow udev


Return to “LMDE 1 Archive”