Games with Steam Play

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vultureen
Level 1
Level 1

Games with Steam Play

Post by vultureen »

Hi!
If anyone is curious, here's a list of my Steam-games which runs (or not) on Linux Mint 19.1 with Steamplay, with default settings ("Enable Steamplay for all titles") and no tampering.

[Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti]
-------------------------------------------------------------
Works:

Age of Empires II: HD Edition
Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Ghosts - Multiplayer
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Multiplayer
Dear Esther
Dear Esther: Landmark Edition
RollerCoaster Tycoon 2: Triple Thrill Pack
Metro 2033
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Does not work:

Call of Duty: Black Ops
Call of Duty: Black Ops - Multiplayer
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Call of Duty: Black Ops II - Multiplayer
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - (Single Player)
Child of Light
Return to Castle Wolfenstein
Scrap Mechanic
Sid Meier's Civilization III: Complete

COD MW2 was a pleasant surprise. Oh, the hours I've spent on this game...Too bad Black Ops II didn't work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Games with Steamplay

Post by xenopeek »

You can look up games on https://www.protondb.com/ to see if/how well they run on Steamplay.
vultureen
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vultureen »

That's the site I've been looking for! Thanks.
Oreally
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Oreally »

I got the Call of Duty Warchest bundle on sale, it's the orginal CoD, CoD UO , and CoD2. After some searching around, got all 3 old games running great. Fun for me, i remember waiting for the orginal CoD to be released.

CoD - (for Nvidia cards) added this line to set launch options in steam (no quotations) "__GL_ExtensionStringVersion=17700 %command%"
CoD UO - (for Nvidia cards) added this line to set launch options in steam (no quotations) "__GL_ExtensionStringVersion=17700 %command%"
CoD2 - added this line to set launch options in steam (no quotations) "PROTON_NO_ESYNC=1 %command%"

after adding these to set launch options, all 3 run great , any issues i was having are gone.
hope it helps someone.
GTA5 works great.
20.1 Cinnamon Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H i7 3770-k 32Gb ram GTX 1660 6Gb Super OC
19.3 Cinnamon Intel DZ77BH55K i7 3770-k 32GB ram GTX 1660 6Gb Super OC
19.3 Cinnamon Lenovo All in One C-5030 Touchscreen
gm10

Post by gm10 »

xenopeek wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:16 pm You can look up games on https://www.protondb.com/ to see if/how well they run on Steamplay.
In addition, https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton for compatibility options and to search and/or report compatibility issues.

Further in addition, the general Wine app db may also have some good infos still missing from either of the above sources: https://appdb.winehq.org
Neuron67

Re: Games with Steam Play

Post by Neuron67 »

You can add these to the list of working games on Steam;
Rocket League
H1Z1
Portal 1&2
Skate
psklenar

Post by psklenar »

Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon, kernel 4.15.0-43, Steam Play, Play Client Beta enabled which installed a newer, beta Proton.

Success ...
Galactic Civilizations III: Intrigue plus all DLC's ... seems to work well (15 minutes game time so far, more testing this come weekend).

Issues ...
Battle Academy 2 ... When i click "Play" on the launcher the screen blacks out, the music starts to play and the mouse cursor is visible and movable, but nothing else is visible. I was unable to get to any other windows (terminal?) to kill the process and eventually had to hard reboot to end it.

Civilizations IV ... loads and plays the opening cinematic, but then the screen goes black with just the mouse cursor visible. Luckily I know where the QUIT button is and and have been able to hit blind and exit the game cleanly.

I haven't had a chance to research these issues yet, hopefully this coming weekend.

pat----
psklenar

Post by psklenar »

avensis wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:29 am Hi, for Civilizations IV did you install the patch? Or Check that your computer has the right power for the game
My system far surpasses the minimum requirements for the game (and it plays just fine on the Win10 side (dual boot)). I confirmed my linux config met or exceeded the Steam Play/Proton requirements (I had to manually increase the File Descriptors). So I'm pretty sure it's not a "power" issue.

I installed the game thru Steam. On the Win10 side, Steam handles installing the patches. Is there a patch that needs to be installed from outside of Steam to make it work under Linux? Where might I find that?

Thank you for your response!
pat----
gm10

Post by gm10 »

I don't know for CivIV but for CivIII to run you just need to change a configuration option in the game's .ini file.

For CivIV maybe try putting this in the Steam launch options: PROTON_NO_D3D11=1 %command%

Steam also enabled Steam Play for non-Steam games now btw, so you can even easily use Proton for those. Seems they're really pushing for the Linux market. Interesting.
psklenar

Post by psklenar »

gm10 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:02 amFor CivIV maybe try putting this in the Steam launch options: PROTON_NO_D3D11=1 %command%

Steam also enabled Steam Play for non-Steam games now btw, so you can even easily use Proton for those. Seems they're really pushing for the Linux market. Interesting.
Thank you, I'll try the launch command tomorrow (won't have time to fire up my home PC before bedtime by the time I get home tonight).

As for Proton, yes, I followed the instructions from the Steam Wiki to sign up for the Client Beta to enable Proton for all non-linux native games. Stardock's Windows only Galactic Civilizations III appears to be working just fine this way. Admittedly it *is* rather newer than Sid Miere's Civ IV. :)

Again, thank you!
pat----
EdgarNo

Post by EdgarNo »

Ok Age of Empires II works that's enough for me!
psklenar

Post by psklenar »

gm10 wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:02 amFor CivIV maybe try putting this in the Steam launch options: PROTON_NO_D3D11=1 %command%
Alas, no change. I see the start of the startup video and the screen goes black. Once I hit ESC to end the intro video, the cursor appears and I can click around until I hit the QUIT button.

A co-worker recommended I try creating a WinXP or Win7 VM and running it in there and since I have several old Win7 licenses, I found one that worked for authentication and installed Steam and Civ4 in the VM and it works perfectly. For the short term, it lets me play my PBEM games with my friends and I can take my time getting it to work without a VM. And I don't have to switch between OS's via dual boot this way.

Hopefully I'll get it running without the VM sooner rather than later. <fingers crossed>
pat----

Return to “Gaming”