(SOLVED) Ubisoft and linux

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
jstich
Level 3
Level 3

(SOLVED) Ubisoft and linux

Post by jstich »

Ubisoft sucks because you need to launch their games through their launcher even for single player games. I was able to download the exe file on my Mint desktop but it's a Windows style file. I have the Far cry games on Steam through windows but it opens the Ubi launcher to actually play the game. Is there a way to get the Ubisoft launcher to open when I click on play on my steam proton build? any ideas welcomed.
Last edited by jstich on Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Linux mint 19.3 cinnamon,32 bit,pentium dual core @ 2.6ghz ,2 gb system ram,gt 430 1 gb vram video,320 gb HD ALSO: 20.2 64bit,i7 4770, RX570 8GB VRAM,16GB RAM, 160 GB 5200 RPM (laptop) HDD
ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Ubisoft and linux

Post by ugly »

I don't think I've tried any Ubisoft games through Steam recently.

I have a number of Ubisoft games for UPlay. At one point it was working, but I haven't tried recently. Apparently it's called Ubisoft Connect now. I remember I had Far Cry 3 working.

You should be able to find an installer with Lutris. That's what I have done in the past. You can find the installer on Lutris for Ubisoft Connect, which will download and install it for you. Then you can run Ubisoft Connect and download and play games like you would on Windows. There is no guarantee every game will work, though.

However, in some cases, some games need specific tweaks to work properly. So I believe the recommendation is to find the particular game on Lutris and install it separately. The downside is that you will essentially have mutliple installations of Ubisoft Connect, each with only one game installed.
jstich
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jstich »

I'm re downloading Wine,Lutris and the ubisoft connect app.I'm hoping I can open and download Far Cry New dawn in this instance,and have the Ubi connect program open and actually start the game. I am hoping for my Steam controller to work also. I'm strictly a single player man,so I don't need any multiplayer stuff.I hope that Steam can be the boss of everything basically.Like it does in regular windows steam.
Linux mint 19.3 cinnamon,32 bit,pentium dual core @ 2.6ghz ,2 gb system ram,gt 430 1 gb vram video,320 gb HD ALSO: 20.2 64bit,i7 4770, RX570 8GB VRAM,16GB RAM, 160 GB 5200 RPM (laptop) HDD
jstich
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jstich »

UPDATE: I'm gonna try to download New Dawn through Steam/Proton.I think it'll open Lutris and Ubi connect.
ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ugly »

Just to clarify, if your Ubisoft game was bought through Steam, then you should probably try to just install it through Steam/Proton (no need for Lutris).

If you bought your Ubisoft game without Steam (redeemed the game through UPlay or Ubisoft Connect), then you should install through Lutris. The Lutris installer will automatically take care of downloading and setting up WINE and UPlay.

This is the link to the installer for Far Cry New Dawn: https://lutris.net/games/far-cry-new-dawn/
Try using the 2nd installer (Wine Uplay version).

With Lutris installers, there can be issues if the installer is out of date. Unfortunately, it's something that the community has to keep track of and fix.
jstich
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jstich »

Yes I bought it through Steam.Hopefully I can get Steam to open the Ubi connect software.I'm gonna finish downloading it through Steam/Proton and hopefully it opens the worthless Ubi connect service and launches the game .It's all good,I'm well on my way to getting rid of windows for games.At worst 20 hours of a worthless download.
jstich
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jstich »

After downloading New Dawn it opens ubi connect and starts to work.It looks great but Ubisoft has a note in the upper right of the screen saying my graphics drivers are out of date. The note stays there no matter what. Is there a way to update my GPU drivers through CLI?I'm still in shock that the game actually opened the Ubi connect portion and I'm able to play the game. The outdated GPU drivers message doesn't go away so that's annoying. Thanks for any help.
jstich
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jstich »

UPDATE: I upgaded/updated my system through the CLI. I can launch Half Life 2 fine but now it doesn't launch New Eden.The UBI connect app doesn't open. I tried launching Connect through Lutris but it still doesn't work.It just sits there. If I try to launch New Dawn again in Steam it says it's already running, even though it acts like it's locked up. Any ideas? I've been giving it time and re started a few times. The only thing I can think of is waiting and maybe Steam will make Connect work.
jstich
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jstich »

UPDATE: I managed to get Steam to open Ubi Connect and launch the game.However the blank Steam interface blocks it and the mouse won't go to the bottom of the screen and maximize the game. I can hear the opening music of the game so it is launching. The empty steam page blocks all access to the game. Ideas welcome. I'll see if non big picture mode helps.
jstich
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jstich »

CORRECTION: Steam opens Ubi connect and launches the game.It shows an icon on the task bar but the small icon of my game shows a little black window but I can't click on it to bring it full size.The music from the game is audible but I can't click on the game window in the task bar to maximize the game.It's at this time that the pc becomes unresponsive and I have to ctrl alt delete to sign into the pc to re set the desktop.The music from the game keeps going on. Any ideas?I'm stumped.
jstich
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jstich »

I managed to get it going.After signing in to UBi connect I wait for the intro music of the game. I then hit control alt delete to bring up the option to sign out of the session.I simply hit cancel and it then lets me maximize the game in full screen from the taskbar. What's incredibly annoying is the ubi connect doesn't sign me in automatically after countless times signing in and checking the remember me mark on the sign in screen.And it still says my GPU drivers are out of date but I found a way to shut off the notification of that. Any tips on how to stay signed in to Ubi connect? I've tried many things with no luck. I always have to manually sign in every time.
ugly
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ugly »

One resource that can be helpful is ProtonDB. It allows users to provide feedback about various Steam games played through Proton. It will give you an idea of whether the game works well, what issues other uses had, and sometimes what tweaks were needed to get the game to work.

There is one for Far Cry New Dawn: https://www.protondb.com/search?q=far%2 ... new%20dawn
defaulted to 1920x1080 (im using 1440p monitor) to get rid of driver out of date msg use uplay overlay Shift+F2 and just click the X on it, very surprised it worked ootb played a bit, no issues. benchmark averaged 120+fps occasional dips to 73, nothing below 60, I ran unlocked framrate but should be a good experience with a locked 60.
jstich
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jstich »

Thanks for the link ugly but I already read all the replies that go with your link when I was on my journey trying to fix this. It was one of them that informed me I could remove the Graphics error pop up. It's sorta rickety but I'll mark this solved.
cretsiah
Level 3
Level 3

Re: (SOLVED) Ubisoft and linux

Post by cretsiah »

i dont have new dawn,

but i do have far cry 1 - 4 + primal

i dont know if it helps (probably uses more hard drive space ) but i run each of my games in their own proton profile

so im wondering what you have your new dawn set on?

example
- my far cry primal required to me copy the ubisoft folder from programx86 out of far cry 3 then paste and replace in same place on far cry primal.
- far cry primal runs on proton steamplay 6.3-7 (no artifacts so far, no massive red tinge or bright white light anymore)
- had to install dxvk via synaptic package manager

i get a a transparent box for ubisoft connect in the middle of my screen until it connects (when the ubisoft servers are working),
i did have to change password though
it auto logs in
jstich
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jstich »

Thanks cretsiah.Do you mean you made a seperate profile on steam proton or ubi connect for each game? Just updating ubi connect and EA origin I think I'll skip that. I can only imagine what a mess it would be with 2 profiles.Ubi connect and Origin just suck my enthusiasm for gaming with their awful launchers.
cretsiah
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cretsiah »

@jstich

so after you first install steam and you have all those greyed out install buttons .......

instead of going to steam " global settings steam play " and ticking the second box "Enable Steam Play for all other titles " ....

I right click on the individual game " properties > compatibility > Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool " and then let the shaders thing do what ever it is they do...

my reasoning behind this (faulty / or misplaced as it might be, i dont know) is that if i have a valid working game on a lower tier proton do i really want to potentially get screwed up downloading another game on a later version.

example might be say
game 1 running proton 4.3
game 2 running eggroll 5.6 (because of some fancy scripting it just works better )
game 3 running 6.3-7 (in the case of Far Cry Primal now has sound and subtitles in game and no red tinge ) - caveat 1) did have to copy and paste u-play from far cry 3 into far cry primal to get past faulty u-play / u-connect built into far cry primal. 2) my rather dated eight core system is only running the game (according to steam overlay) at between 28 - 60 frames but it playable..
cretsiah
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cretsiah »

@jstich

this shows Far Cry Primal working system specs in the description, i know i know low frame rate.... tough i dont have money to update :D

but i do have my ubisoft U-play/ U-Connect linked to my steam account so that probably helps.
You should notice that transparent square before Ubisoft Connect shows up in it during the video

https://youtu.be/sQScXFWqpPc
jstich
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jstich »

Thanks again Cretsiah.It seems you have better luck with Ubi connect than I do.I might link Connect with Steam and see if that helps.I'm glad I am making progress into gaming on Linux so that's awesome.This forum has helped me greatly.
jstich
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jstich »

NOTE: I don't have a problem with opening Connect it's that their worthless servers are down a lot. And it doesn't save my info so I have to put them in every time even though I have it set so it remembers me. It sucks.
cretsiah
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cretsiah »

@jstich

it seems as though they like screwing things up...

after origanally getting far cry primal to work with far cry 3 launcher....... far cry 3 no longer works....

there appears to be a missing entry in the " user.reg " file in far cry 3..... maybe it is similar - except you say you can get into the game i cant :( ...

blood dragon doesnt have this issue ( it does have a different server issue after launching the game - related to the shut down of the multiplayer servers i believe)..

so out of the 5 oldest far cry games now only one is not usable..