game (tmn) profile from steam windows to steam linux [Solved]

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Blankman
Level 2
Level 2

game (tmn) profile from steam windows to steam linux [Solved]

Post by Blankman »

Hi everyone, I'm wondering if anyone knows if i can move a profile for a game from windows to linux? Where does the steam on linux save game data? On windows it's documents folder but I can't see it on linux. I'm using Linux 20 cinamon. The game I'm talking about is trackmania united forever or trackmania nations forever but i suppose your method should work on other games too.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moved from windows to linux and enjoying every minute of linux. It's a learning curve but well worth it.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: game (tmn) profile from steam windows to steam linux

Post by rene »

Blankman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:22 am I'm wondering if anyone knows if i can move a profile for a game from windows to linux? Where does the steam on linux save game data?
If it's a Windows game running under Proton then yes, and even if it's on Linux a native Linux-version of the same game, generally still yes. https://www.pcgamingwiki.com is generally useful; for example https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Track ... ed_Forever says that you should copy things over to "<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/7200/pfx". That "7200" will supposedly be different per-game.

In this, <Steam-folder> is ~/.steam/debian-installation if you installed Steam through the repositories; will be (under) ~/.local/share/Steam/ if you installed directly from Valve; will be ~/.var/who/the/bleedin/hell/knows if you installed Steam as a Flatpak. Note that the leading periods on those subdirectories of your home directory means they are hidden from normal view; in a graphical file manager you'd use Ctrl-H to "Show All".
Blankman
Level 2
Level 2

Re: game (tmn) profile from steam windows to steam linux

Post by Blankman »

rene wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:10 am
Blankman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:22 am I'm wondering if anyone knows if i can move a profile for a game from windows to linux? Where does the steam on linux save game data?
If it's a Windows game running under Proton then yes, and even if it's on Linux a native Linux-version of the same game, generally still yes. https://www.pcgamingwiki.com is generally useful; for example https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Track ... ed_Forever says that you should copy things over to "<Steam-folder>/steamapps/compatdata/7200/pfx". That "7200" will supposedly be different per-game.

In this, <Steam-folder> is ~/.steam/debian-installation if you installed Steam through the repositories; will be (under) ~/.local/share/Steam/ if you installed directly from Valve; will be ~/.var/who/the/bleedin/hell/knows if you installed Steam as a Flatpak. Note that the leading periods on those subdirectories of your home directory means they are hidden from normal view; in a graphical file manager you'd use Ctrl-H to "Show All".
thank you so much, yes the 7200 is different as the different numbers refer to a specific game. Other instances the number represents your profile number that steam is saving. I know how to look up the number for the game, the other way is just to go to the folder location and see which folder has the profile in. I'll try have a look and see where I can save the files too , thank you so much.

edit: I found the folder by looking for it, there were only 3 folders to choose from since i had only installed 3 games. I've saved the location so i won't have to try look for it again. Thank you.
Moved from windows to linux and enjoying every minute of linux. It's a learning curve but well worth it.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: game (tmn) profile from steam windows to steam linux [Solved]

Post by rene »

Just for my own education: does Proton support the Steam cloud? Or was that in any case irrelevant here since the game doesn't?
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Re: game (tmn) profile from steam windows to steam linux [Solved]

Post by cretsiah »

does Proton support the Steam cloud?
yes it does on some games..... not all games have access to or use steams cloud save features

you need to right click game>properties and check there for cloud save settings

Return to “Gaming”