Steam proton not launching games

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DelianST
Level 1
Level 1

Steam proton not launching games

Post by DelianST »

Hello! I just installed Linux mint and steam but I can't play any non-native steam games. They just don't launch.
Here is a log using the PROTON_LOG=1 %command% https://pastebin.com/dsX7VrBz
My pc specs: https://pastebin.com/z8WMAbe8
Last edited by LockBot on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MiZoG
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Steam proton not launching games

Post by MiZoG »

You need to post the type of system report required on this forum through System settings->Hardware->System Info or by inserting the command inxi -Fxxrz in a terminal.
Neigdoig
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Steam proton not launching games

Post by Neigdoig »

I may no longer be a Mint user, but I know a thing or two about this.

You need to make sure you have all the drivers for your machine in correct working order. I recommend using the "Ultimate Guide to Linux Gaming" by Chris Titus Tech for Debian-based distros. However, since I see you have a 1650, you will need to use the 470 drivers for Nvidia. I have a 2060, and use the 470 on Nobara currently at the time of posting.

This guide also has installation instructions for WineHQ and Lutris, but not for GloriousEggroll's Proton. You will need to get ProtonUp-QT as an Appimage, run it, and make sure you have your Steam Proton directory set to ~/.steam/debian-installation/compatibilitytools.d (if you don't have compatibilitytools.d, you will need to create the directory before launching ProtonUp-QT. I would also recommend using Proton Experimental for all games supporting Steam Play, and use GE-Proton7-26, since 7-27 and higher require the 510 drivers at least.

Return to “Gaming”