What's your favorite game of all time?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bridnour
Level 1
Level 1

Re: What's your favorite game of all time?

Post by bridnour »

For me, it would be Rogue and similar games. Been playing them since 1986.

Particular mentions go to:
  • The original Rogue, which I played on a friends IBM "Suitcase" PC
  • Moria, which I played on my University's VAX system.
  • ADOM, my current rougelike of choice.
rzk3di
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rzk3di »

diablo ..been playing it since my 20s, now in my 40s and still playing it..diablo 2 resurrected, but having problems using it in linux mint. hopefully someone can help.
h3kt0r
Level 1
Level 1

Post by h3kt0r »

Panasonic CF MX4 - i5-5300U vPro (4) @ 2.9GHz - 4Gb RAM - HD Graphics 5500 - Mint 20.3
Cobrin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Cobrin »

Arcade:
Galaga
Wonderboy
Double Dragon
Rygar
BubbleBobble

PC:
Quake3
Unreal Tournament
CounterStrike
Flatout
Needs for Speed Carbon
Battlefield 1942
wolfenstein return to castle
If you can't trust a 600 year old vampire in a prepubescent girl's body, who can you trust?
Core i5-11400
Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Master
32Gb 3600Mhz Crucial Ballistix
Asrock RX6600XT 8Gb Challenger OC Edition
Aorus 500Gb Gen4 nvme
550W Gold SFx PSU
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

I am old enough to remember pre-3D era well etc (so I have played plenty of games over the years(I don't really care all that much for a high percentage of more recent-ish games)), and my #1 all-around video game EXPERIENCE to date would be a game I first played back in about late 2002 (on PC) when it was new and here and there over the years since and it never fails to deliver a top notch experience for me...

Mafia (2002) on PC ; I plan on replaying this for it's 20th anniversary in Aug 2022. NOTE: I typically use mouse+keyboard for shooting sections and have my XBox360 wireless controller for the driving sections on PC.

the feeling that gives me, especially the ending, is only something that high movies pull off. it's a true masterpiece (a word I rarely use (unlike some people who fling that word around fairly commonly and it loses it's intended effect because of it)).

there is not many games worth replaying from time-to-time but the Mafia series (i.e. Mafia (2002)/Mafia II (2010)/Mafia III (2016)/Mafia Definitive Edition (2020)) is one of those game series that is. it's a big reason I got Wine/Lutris installed.

NOTE: Mafia Definitive Edition (2020) is basically a remake/graphics update of the original Mafia (2002) game. while it's still a strong game overall, I still prefer the original overall as gameplay is better on original along with the main character and his two main buddies (Tommy(the person you play as)/Paulie/Sam (their look is too altered in the remake and voices simply don't suit them like they do in the original game)) and even weapons feel better in original and on the original weapons reloading is properly done which is not quite right on the remake. for example... on original say you got a Tommy Gun and fire off one shot and reload, you will lose 49 shots of ammo (so it forces you to be a bit more choosy when to reload to keep ammo loss at a minimum). if you do this on the remake, while it 'partially' works like that, it can by somewhat bypassed on the remake unlike original. for example... on the 2020 remake, I noticed if you got a Tommy Gun for example and shoot off a shot and reload, it will lose the 49 shots remaining, which is expected behavior, but where this can be bypassed, is say you fire off one shot (or several etc) on the Tommy Gun and instead of reloading the gun, you simply switch guns, so at this point you will be using a pistol for example, then you simply run over some ammo on the ground that goes to the Tommy Gun and it will be instantly filled again with no ammo loss. this is not possible on original as on the original it works more like real life in the sense even if you switch guns and walk over ammo, it won't refill it, so you got to manually reload the gun first, which wastes whatever ammo is left in the gun, so then your reserve ammo drops, and then you can walk over ammo for the Tommy Gun laying on the ground and then it will refill. but with that said... since guns are generally weaker and not quite as precise etc on the 2020 remake, I am sort of glad one can milk that ammo bypass thing as that comes in handy in some areas of the game since you tend to use up more ammo vs original game as weapons are not as accurate etc. but with all of that said... in terms of general gunplay I think the original games weapons feel better and are more fun to use and are generally not as weak and more accurate (especially say Tommy Gun as it has a lot more kick and one can semi-snipe with it in original where as in 2020 remake it feels a bit more pea-shooter like and is less accurate since distance is more limited). the remake is good in it's in own way, but you have to adjust to it. but in terms of driving vehicles I think both the original 2002 and 2020 remake are solid as I can't really complain either way. since I already mentioned Tommy/Paulie/Sam a bit already, I will say I thought they did a solid job on the remake in regards to Salieri(the boss you work for)/Frank(consigliere) which are much more accurate to the originals with the general look/voice etc, basically much more true to the characters unlike Tommy/Paulie/Sam.

p.s. for the record... GTA series simply does not have the greatness of the Mafia series as while the GTA series is good enough to play through once it has no replay appeal unlike Mafia series. the Mafia series never fails to disappoint me as I replay them as the years pass. how the GTA series is as popular as it is, is beyond me. because just playing through the game with the story/missions/gameplay/characters, which is what these games are all about, simply can't touch Mafia (series). even in terms of Rockstar games, I think the Red Dead series is better than GTA.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
vince77
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vince77 »

As a WWE fan, I'd say WWE SVR 2007 is the greatest game of all time. If I remove the biasedness, I'll go for Minecraft.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

Color me weird, but Games are a waste of my time.

that is the first thing I delete from every PC in my hands.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Jymm
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jymm »

There is only one game I ever have installed. Kpat, and Klondike is my favorite. Not much of a gamer!
Joss
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Joss »

rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Joss wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:22 am Syberia.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syberia_(video_game)
None of the sequels ever measured up to the original. It was simply the perfect adventure game.
rambo919
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rambo919 »

Shortlist:
  • Civilization Series
    Stellaris
    Duke Nukem 3D (especially with the Alien Armageddon mod).
    Alien Shooter Series
    Fallout NV & 4
    PysolFC
    Jagged Alliance 2 (almost a genre in own right)
    PanzerCorps (and PG clones in general)
    Xenonauts Series
    No One Lives Forever Series
You don't simply have one favourite.... and if I think about this I could add more but these are what come to mind ATM :lol:
lazarus_long
Level 3
Level 3

Post by lazarus_long »

A few stand out for me:

Loderunner
Wizardry
Ultima 4 and 5. 7 was pretty good too.
Baldurs Gate 1 and 2
Marathon 2
Medal of Honor
Midnight True
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Midnight True »

Command Conquer Generals: Zero Hour and Left 4 Dead for me 🥰🥰🥰
kelevra
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kelevra »

It's really hard to pick just one.
One game I 'wasted' many hours on was Jane's AH64D Longbow and I flew so many missions in Jane's USAF. I really like driving games too. When the original Need for Speed came out...
"None of us is as smart as all of us." Ken Blanchard

Mint 21 Cinnamon
AMD© R5 2600 @ stock 16GiB

Mint 20.2 Cinnamon
Intel© Celeron© CPU B820 @ 1.70GHz 8GiB
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

Back in the day, flipped the high score max 2.5 times.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
space_jeff
Level 2
Level 2

Post by space_jeff »

it's a simple question with a complicated answer. I'm gonna cheat a bit and break it down into several categories as I have to factor in nostalgia, game stability as a means of immersion and enjoyment, mechanics, etc.

If I think about what I consider to be 'perfect' games that never crash, have great, intuitive mechanics, great world building and never do anything to rip me out of the world, great story, terrific pacing and characters, three immediately come to mind: Dead Space 1 & 2 and Batman Arkham City. You could lump RE4 in there too though there are some very small tweaks to the controls that would make it perfect.

I've played them over a dozen times each and thoroughly enjoy it every time. Same can be said for Red Dead Redemption 1 and LoZ Windwaker though they are longer time commitment because of sheer size.

For awesome world building where you just want to spend time running around outside the story because the main stories are 'meh': Red Dead Redemption 2 and Fallout 4 (modded).

Nostalgia: WWF No Mercy and LoZ Ocarina of Time/Majoras Mask. Still great games but have so many great memories playing them, particularly No Mercy with friends.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

Mafia (2002) is FREE to claim on Steam right now from Sep 1st through Sep 5th. https://store.steampowered.com/app/40990/Mafia/

but I suggest restoring the old music files so that the game is truly back to it's original state it was in 2002 as Steam says "Note: This rerelease of Mafia has an edited soundtrack and does not include any licensed music.". but the fix for that is here...

basically follow the MAFIA instructions on this post... https://www.gog.com/forum/mafia/tutoria ... ic/post118 (I even confirmed the ".dta" files match my original 2002 release based on MD5 hash).

that actually shrinks the game from it's original untouched size of "2.7 GiB (2,914,813,794 bytes)" to "2.2 GiB (2,386,162,140 bytes)"

I still recommend using the widescreen fix though (basically this one https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=80410 ; I suggest tweaking the ".ini" file in the 'scripts' folder though as you can see what it does by loading up the ini as it gives brief descriptions on what it does which you can see the effects in the game) as it fixes aspect ratio so it displays properly on 1080p etc and it even comes with a unlimited draw distance mod to. you can search for that online and put the following file in the root of your Mafia directory since it increase performance quite a bit... https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/rele ... 1/d3d8.dll ; but to enable that file on Linux, the basic idea is 'Configure Wine' and on 'Applications' click 'Add application' and add the Mafia games main exe file (i.e. Game.exe) (from quick testing it does not seem to matter whether someone uses Windows XP/Windows 7/Windows 10 on the 'Windows Version:' in the Configure Wine menu, but if you have any issues it might be worth trying different Windows versions here) and with that highlighted go to 'Libraries' and add in two entries... 'dinput8' and 'd3d8'. the dinput8 (which you need to also put this dinput8.dll, which some of the widescreen fix mods come with it, in the root of the Mafia directory) is required for the widescreen fix mod (which also comes with the increased draw distance so objects in the distance are drawn on screen instead of having to get fairly close before the game draws them on screen as modern PC's can easily handle this) to be active on Linux and the 'd3d8' is required to load that 'd3d8.dll' in the root of the Mafia folder. you can even test out the frame rate differences to by simply renaming that 'd3d8.dll' to say 'd3d8_.dll' temporarily which will disable the DirectX8 to DirectX9 conversion, and run the game and see the frame rate drop, then rename it back and it will resume working again as there is a clear frame rate difference as you can easily see in the first mission with the car chase. it's not a small difference but clearly noticeable on my i5-3550/1050 Ti 4GB GPU setup as prior to using that I was trying to lower resolution etc but nothing helped all that much but once I used that d3d8.dll it was a pretty dramatic increase in frame rates as it went from so-so/pretty weak to clearly much smoother.

p.s. Mafia (2002) is my #1 video game experience to date.
Last edited by ThaCrip on Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
iliketrains
Level 4
Level 4

Post by iliketrains »

ThaCrip wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:28 am Mafia (2002) is FREE to claim on Steam right now from Sep 1st through Sep 5th.
A great game free or priced but Windows only unless I'm missing something. I still have the original on an XP partition.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

iliketrains wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:52 am
ThaCrip wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:28 am Mafia (2002) is FREE to claim on Steam right now from Sep 1st through Sep 5th.
A great game free or priced but Windows only unless I'm missing something. I still have the original on an XP partition.
It works on Linux with Lutris/GloriousEggroll runner for Lutris ( https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine ... Proton7-27 ; extract 'wine-lutris-GE-Proton7-27-x86_64.tar.xz' to "~/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine" and Lutris should automatically use it. if not, you can force it through the games options in the shortcut to the games exe you make ) and Wine from WineHQ installed (I am currently using Wine v7.16 'development' version). but I suspect even a basic Wine install should work, since it's a old game, but that setup I used is optimal though as it allowed me to run games in the past that I could not normally run.

the funny thing is, you can't click the "Install" on that game when using Steam on Linux (you can still sign-in to the Steam website to register it to your Steam account though so you can get back to it in the future if you need to) as I had to temporarily setup a virtual machine running Windows 10 for the game data to download (so I could click "Install" on Steam in the Win10 VM) and then I transferred it out of the VM to Mint v21.0-Xfce and then ran it through Lutris (I suspect even a basic Wine install will work though).

so for whatever reason Steam must think it does not work on Linux so it greys out the 'Install' icon that's normally selectable. but, like I was saying, you can bypass this by temporarily installing Steam in a virtual machine running Windows 10, download the game data, and then transfer it out of that back to your Linux machine. EDIT: I just learned that you can get Mafia to install on Linux through Steam (so you don't need to use Virtual Machine) as here is how... right click the Mafia icon in Steam > Properties > Compatibility, then select the 'Force the use of a specific Steam Play compatibility tool', then close out of that window and now the 'Install' icon is selectable and appears it will proceed like normal since it shows download size.

here is the Widescreen fix (it makes things display properly as the speedometer is not stretched and you get more view in the game environment etc)... https://videogamemods.com/mafia/mods/ma ... creen-fix/ ; that also works on Linux as you extract the 'models' and 'scripts' folders along with the 'dinput8.dll' to the root of the Mafia directory. but on Linux to get that working you also need to 'Configure Wine' and add a entry for the 'game' exe (Mafia's main exe file), and I changed mine to Windows 7 mode (the default Windows 10 mode might still work though as I did not test this too much on Mafia (2002)) and then for 'Libraries' I added 'dinput8' at which point the mod will now work as without doing that it won't work (I know the 'dinput8.dll' file in the root of game directory is critical to as if you rename that and load the game the mod does not work, rename it back to it's proper naming, and the mod works again). but on Windows you just copy those three things to the root of the game folder and it should work. that also comes with the 'unlimited draw distance' mod which is a bonus since in areas of the game you can see really far, the draw distance is much improved, which on modern computers it can easily handle it. just make sure when you start the game you increase the graphics to 'high' etc as it's on the 'Options > Audio & Video' section and then make sure the game saves it (double check this to make sure it sticks as I think it will as long as you get to a proper save point). you can even increase the 'blood' as it will likely default to nothing.

but since you said you got the original game, you can use that to update the Steam copy to the proper music from original by simply deleting the 'sounds' folder in the Steam copy and then simply copy the 'a0.dta' and 'ab.dta' file from your original copy to the root of the Mafia directory in the Steam copy and it should now be just like the original 2002 music etc. it even saves you 500MB+ of storage space to.

but upon initial load of the games main exe file it will likely trigger the setup so you select your monitors resolution and then you can use anti-aliasing at 4x etc and then save as the rest is likely already on the best settings.

you don't need Windows to run Mafia (2002). hell, ALL of the Mafia games work on Linux using that Lutris/GloriousEggroll/Wine v7.x combo (and have basically the same as Windows level of performance or thereabouts as I can't notice any obvious differences either way). Mafia/Mafia II/Mafia III/Mafia Definitive Edition (remake of the original 2002 game). even Mafia II Definitive Edition works which is a slightly updated graphics version of the 2010 game, but has graphics glitches in the game itself, so if a person is only going to run one version of Mafia II, I suggest sticking with the 2010 version. but speaking of the 2010 version of Mafia II, I suggest either leaving PhysX off (come to think of it you MUST install PhysX for Mafia II to start up on Linux (from terminal do 'winetricks physx')) or if you enable it, you need to delete certain files from the games I think it was APEX folder (I don't remember the details off the top of my head but this is the basic idea) because leaving everything on kills performance like the NPC's waste a lot of frame rate for barely any improvement so I typically disable those but leave say Vito's coat with PhysX on as it flows more naturally vs when it's off, as when PhysX is off, Vito's coat is stiff when moving. but if that sounds complicated with the PhysX stuff, just disable PhysX outright within the game and your frame rates will be a lot better (but PhysX MUST be installed for the game to start up either way regardless if you enable it in the game or disable it!). but another thing come to think of it, I think on Mafia II (2010) I 'think' I had to disable 'esync' for performance to become a lot better, which you can do in the Lutris options, because I think when that was enabled the frame rate took a solid hit.

p.s. the nice thing about this Steam version is there is no copy protection on the game where as the original release I had to use a cracked exe file. so now that I got a hold of the Steam version I can just use that from now on but ill likely make a backup of the folder to say a 7z file after I applied the music fix and widescreen fixes for future use and long term storage.

EDIT: I noticed Mafia (2002) runs with a much improved frame rate with d3d8.dll file active (i.e. https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/rele ... 1/d3d8.dll ) as you copy that to the root of the Mafia directory and it basically translates DirectX8 into DirectX9 as that gave me a solid frame rate boost as it was running a bit so-so, especially during certain areas in the first chase mission, and I knew something was not right, but once I applied that, the frame rate got much better. but you need to basically do what I did with the dinput8 dll file and add the entry for d3d8 on the 'Libraries' for the game to use the d3d8.dll in the root of the Mafia directory. so basically for the game to use the 'dinput8.dll' and 'd3d8.dll' files in the root of the Mafia directory you got to add in 'dinput8' and 'd3d8' on the Libraries section of the 'Configure Wine' under the specific game entry. so you would have to add 'Game.exe' (which is Mafia's main exe file) there and add the two entries specifically to that and then it will work as long as you got the actual two dll files in the root of the Mafia directory the game will use it.

even in regards to say a XBox360 controller, it basically works, but does require some manual configuration through the game itself like the basic acceleration/reverse I had to manually set to the LT/RT buttons. but once I did, they seem to respond well to the increase in button pressure with acceleration/braking etc.

EDIT: I am using the dinput8.dll file from https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=80410 and the general widescreen/controller dead zone/settings save fix (basically the 'scripts' folder) from https://github.com/ThirteenAG/Widescree ... eenFix.zip paired with the d3d8.dll file from crosire listed above since his gives best performance. but if for whatever reason when using that 'scripts' folder from ThirteenAG acts up in regards to 'settings.bin' (text file) in your 'savegame' folder, with say the game running in a small window in center of the screen (I got a 1080p monitor) the likely fix, which worked for me, is to from terminal type 'wine regedit' which will bring up the registry editor and find "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Illusion Softworks\Mafia" and on the main entry to the right (the 'LS3D_setup' entry) right click it and select modify (but don't actually modify anything here) which will bring up a window and you simply make sure the info listed there is the same in the 'settings.bin' text file (in 'savegame' folder) as mine was different in the 'settings.bin' text file and once I modified that settings.bin text file so it matched what was shown in the registry entry the game went back to full screen and all is good basically.
Last edited by ThaCrip on Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

I'm 37. I've played games since I was a kid, so there's no way in heck I can just outright claim a favorite game. :roll:
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.

Return to “Gaming”