Can't add games to steam(work around found)

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Can't add games to steam(work around found)

Post by jstich »

Hello, I'm trying to add games and programs to Steam. I go into regular Steam mode and hit add a game and it brings up a window that says add a game and there is a message saying it's searching. The problem is it will keep doing that and find nothing the searching message just keeps going until I stop it.I have let it go for 10 minutes or more with no change. There is a browse option but I simply have no idea how to find anything going that route.I've re started Steam and the whole laptop and it still just says searching and stays there. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Mar 28, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mint 21.2 64bit,i7 4770, RX570 8GB VRAM,16GB RAM, , Asus G74sx laptop with Mint 21.2
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Can't add games to steam

Post by cretsiah »

your not asking much HAHAHAHA.....

a) that add game function is more meant for windows install of steam than anything else.
b) usually requires the game to be installed already.
c) it creates an app ID for the game when it works its magic ( if it can )
d) i believe you can use the add game function to install a game, the tricky part is changing it from launching the installer to launching actual game.

ok so now i can give you an idea of where to find some of your games ( providing you have installed them ) depending on what your using....

dont forget your adding as " NON STEAM GAME "

Epic Games using Heroic Launcher:
- /home/username (ie jstich )/Games/Heroic/
try reading this https://github.com/Heroic-Games-Launche ... m-on-Linux
or this https://github.com/redromnon/HeroicBash ... pak)-Guide

Bottles:
- /home/username/.var/app/com.usebottles.bottles/data/bottles/bottles

someone else will have to provide locations for other stuff like lutris
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

Thanks Cret. I'm trying to keep launchers to a minimum. It gets confusing. I have put Steam on quite a few mint installs and this has never happened. I open Steam, click on the lower left add a game, then add a non steam game and then it shows an add a game window shows up with the words searching... My other mint installs show most of the programs that I can add a program/game to Steam.I let it search for more than a half hour still searching.
Mint 21.2 64bit,i7 4770, RX570 8GB VRAM,16GB RAM, , Asus G74sx laptop with Mint 21.2
cretsiah
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cretsiah »

jstich wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:08 am Thanks Cret. I'm trying to keep launchers to a minimum. It gets confusing. I have put Steam on quite a few mint installs and this has never happened. I open Steam, click on the lower left add a game, then add a non steam game and then it shows an add a game window shows up with the words searching... My other mint installs show most of the programs that I can add a program/game to Steam.I let it search for more than a half hour still searching.
in that case i wonder if you accidentally installed a different variant of steam ie flatpak steam vs standard steam
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

I'm fairly certain I used software manager to install Steam. I don't remember if I used the flatpak method or a different process to get it installed .
jstich
Level 4
Level 4

Post by jstich »

I now have 2 entries for steam. The non flatpak version searches and finds the other programs on my PC so I can use bottles to launch Connect and EA origin.
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Can't add games to steam(work around found)

Post by 1000 »

I have Steam from Synaptic package manager and I can add any app from Linux.
For example, I can add a shortcut from the desktop.
So, it should work.
You can test how Steam works on a new user account.
Maybe after creating new settings it will be fixed.

Return to “Gaming”