What's your favorite game of all time?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What's your favorite game of all time?

Post by ThaCrip »

Termy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:46 am I'm 37. I've played games since I was a kid, so there's no way in heck I can just outright claim a favorite game. :roll:
I am in my early 40's and I also played games since I was a kid, but I actually can name a #1 video game in terms of all around experience as one game stands out to me in the long term and I figure if it still remains top notch at this point it's never going to drop off for me, which is Mafia (2002). but I guess there are some games that are good for quick pick-up-and-play types of games and other types of games etc but when it comes to more of that high quality movie experience with quality gameplay, I default to Mafia (2002).

for the record... it would be more difficult to name a #1 movie or a song though as that I simply cannot do as I could come closer to naming a movie than a song, but either way I can't outright name a clear #1 there.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

ThaCrip wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:58 am [...]
The only thing which comes close, for me, is Spyro 2. I love and have always loved the old Spyro series (1, 2, and 3). I do remember playing Mafia II on the PC, years ago, and loved it. But then, there's also the almighty Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 3. I loved Metal Gear Solid 5, but the older ones stand out so much in my mind. Too many games to choose from. :roll: Oh, and Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, and San Andreas! Then there's Jade Cocoon 1 and 2, Gran Turismo 2, 3, and 4. Yeah, I can't choose. :lol: I'd have to at least pick a favorite in a particularly category, because I don't stick with just one or two. Red Alert 1 and 2 stand out in my mind, as well; I played the latter for ages. Oh, and Medal of Honor 1, 2, and Allied Assault! Jeez, I just can't do it! Then there's TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. There's Fallout 3 and TES Oblivion, both of which I spent many hours playing. Duke Nukem 3D! OK, I give up. :P
I'm also Terminalforlife on GitHub.
The Muffin Man
Level 5
Level 5

Post by The Muffin Man »

I learned how to hex edit with the 1st Eye of the Beholder game.
"Go ahead. I don't shop here."
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

Termy wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:23 pm I'd have to at least pick a favorite in a particularly category, because I don't stick with just one or two.
Yeah, I can understand that ;)

because there are different types of games like racing, shooters, RPG etc as while I get it's difficult for some people (maybe many, if not most(?)) to name a clear #1 game, I do think if you allowed them to name specific categories that would make it easier for a fair amount of people since it would narrow the competition.

I think in terms of racing games (especially more sim ones, which I typically like more than the arcade style) I tend to default to the Forza Motorsport series as my long term favorite (although prior to Forza I do remember playing Gran Turismo on the Playstation and at that time it was my favorite but after Forza came along it changed to Forza). although... if I had to choose a racing themed game prior to the modern standards I would choose 'Wave Race 64' on N64 hands down as I played that alot back in the late 1990's on the N64. even to this day it's still fun to play (it just has a great overall feel to it) once in a while through emulator etc. but for a more arcade racer without going TOO far into the past, I remember the Need for Speed series peaking for me with 'Need for Speed: Most Wanted'.

in terms of fighting games my clear #1 all-around MK3/UMK3 (Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3), both from that 1995-1996 time frame (I used to play those back in that time frame with my cousin in the arcades when we were teenagers) as that 'run' button really makes those better since it's a lot faster paced.

for RPG's, while I never got into these too heavily over the years, Diablo II seems to be the one that stands out the most to me which I played over 20 years ago now.

in terms of a multiplayer shooter game there is one that stands out to me... Counter-Strike (and maybe even Counter-Strike source to some degree) as I played that heavily back in the 2000-2005 time frame as that's hands down my #1 multiplayer shooter especially given how long I played it back in the day. I could never get into shooters on consoles (with very rare exception) because it's just too difficult to aim quickly/accurately enough to enjoy a game on a console as the analog stick cripples me where as a mouse allows me to play as good as I possibly can.

with all of that said... I would say I mostly play shooter types of games if you look at the long term.

p.s. as I mentioned before in the past... the GTA series cant touch the Mafia series in my book as the GTA games are good enough to play through once but have no real lasting impact on me where as the Mafia series does. I never understood the high appeal of the GTA series as maybe people like goofing off(?), as I play those games for the gameplay/characters/story and in that regard Mafia series is clearly superior in my mind.
MainPC: i5-3550 (undervolted by -0.120v (CPU runs 12c cooler) /w stock i3-2120 hs/fan) | 1050 Ti 4GB | 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RAM | Backups: AMD E-300 CPU (8GB RAM) / Athlon X2 3600+ CPU (@2.3GHz@1.35v) (4GB RAM) | All /w Mint 21.x-Xfce
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

ThaCrip wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:35 pm [...] I tend to default to the Forza Motorsport series as my long term favorite (although prior to Forza I do remember playing Gran Turismo on the Playstation and at that time it was my favorite but after Forza came along it changed to Forza).
I enjoyed Forza 5 a while ago, when that came to Game Pass. Sadly, no racing game I've ever played has personally come close to the earlier Gran Turismo series. I think I just really enjoyed the progression, the races, the licenses, the cars, and the menus. I was never big time into racing games, but the closest was Gran Turismo, definitely. Well, that and the old Collin McCrea rally games. That was the other aspect of Gran Turismo that I loved; it had good rally stuff, too.
ThaCrip wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:35 pm [...] I remember the Need for Speed series peaking for me with 'Need for Speed: Most Wanted'.
I completely forgot about my Need for Speed: Underground days! I played that a lot on the PC, when I was a kid. I still remember how amazed I was by the graphics and how much it pushed that old rig.
ThaCrip wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:35 pm in terms of fighting games my clear #1 all-around MK3/UMK3 (Mortal Kombat 3/Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3) [...]
For me, it was Tekken. I couldn't get into Mortal Kombat, but not without trying.
ThaCrip wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:35 pm for RPG's, while I never got into these too heavily over the years, Diablo II seems to be the one that stands out the most to me which I played over 20 years ago now.
I must have played Diablo II offline, on and off, for around 6 years, as a kid — that game was all kinds of awesome. Unfortunately, by the time I finally got access to Internet to play it online, I only had a couple of months before it went to poop. Diablo II is just a mess of bots, now, like YouTube. :roll:
ThaCrip wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:35 pm I could never get into shooters on consoles (with very rare exception) because it's just too difficult to aim quickly/accurately enough to enjoy a game on a console as the analog stick cripples me where as a mouse allows me to play as good as I possibly can.
Yeah, I find it really annoying using analogue sticks sometimes. I've gamed over the years a lot on both PC and consoles, so I appreciate both worlds. I've been spamming Ghost Recon: Wildlands lately, which I think I may have mentioned, and aiming is really awkward, especially with the game being locked at 30FPS. Wish they'd at least whack it up to 60FPS, so I don't have to contend with all that input latency, as well!
ThaCrip wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:35 pm [...] the GTA series cant touch the Mafia series in my book [...]
Strongly disagree, but I see where you're coming from. I really enjoyed the more realistic nature of Mafia II, and the setting, with all those gorgeous classic cars. The story in Mafia definitely seems more grounded and gripping, too. I enjoyed the stories in those old GTA games, though. I did like messing around in GTA, but I loved the worlds, exploring, collecting, doing missions, getting dosh, etc. I played GTA III so much on the PC and console(s). I collected so many hidden packages. :roll:
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

Termy wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:36 am Strongly disagree, but I see where you're coming from. I really enjoyed the more realistic nature of Mafia II, and the setting, with all those gorgeous classic cars. The story in Mafia definitely seems more grounded and gripping, too. I enjoyed the stories in those old GTA games, though. I did like messing around in GTA, but I loved the worlds, exploring, collecting, doing missions, getting dosh, etc. I played GTA III so much on the PC and console(s). I collected so many hidden packages. :roll:
You somewhat confirmed my speculation though in that those who really like GTA a lot tend to like doing side stuff more than playing through the single player game as to me that's where the games ultimately have to shine in the single player experience of playing though the story as, at least to me, the side stuff and goofing around gets old quickly.

so in that regard, I think Mafia series is far better as it's memorable unlike the GTA series. but if people like doing a bunch of side stuff and goofing around, I could easily see how GTA would be more appealing if the general story progression ain't a persons main goal.

p.s. but yeah, I am talking about playing both (GTA/Mafia series) on the PC when I say Mafia is much better.
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

ThaCrip wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:04 am [...]
Different strokes for different folks, as they say in America. At the end of the day, we're dealing with a lot of subjectivity. We could analyse them using a point system, look at public ratings, make some graphs, get all scientific, and break the games down to their fundamentals, but who has the time for that? :roll: I'm just glad we got to enjoy the damn games! :lol:
ThaCrip
Level 5
Level 5

Post by ThaCrip »

Termy wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:39 am
ThaCrip wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:04 am [...]
Different strokes for different folks, as they say in America. At the end of the day, we're dealing with a lot of subjectivity. We could analyse them using a point system, look at public ratings, make some graphs, get all scientific, and break the games down to their fundamentals, but who has the time for that? :roll: I'm just glad we got to enjoy the damn games! :lol:
Yeah, that's the bottom line ;)
Alacycle
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Alacycle »

My pick would be Ultima 7 parts 1 & 2 with the Forge of Virtue and Silver Seed add on.
It was made for Dos OS and I like it because it is a huge world compared to games of today. You could play it 3 or 4 times and still discover new places that were hidden by pressing your character against a wall as you move as well as hidden staircases in the woods.
Part 1 The Black Gate was better as part 2 Serpent Isle was a little rushed and a bit too restricted in where you could go early in the game.
I have played it more recently using the Exult engine that can allow play on Linux, Mac or Win computers.
The Forge of Virtue and Silver Seed add on is a must as it adds some great gear such as weapons and magic items.

I also like the early Tomb Raiders 1, 2 and 3. The later ones may have better graphics but I prefer the manual control of the early games rather than those terrible Quicktime movies in the reboot games that are a triggered event rather than gameplay. And once again the early versions of Tomb Raider are bigger worlds.
Mintmann
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Mintmann »

I finally decided that my fav game is Battlefield 1. Fantastic atmosphere!
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Doesn't 'anyone' still play Zork?
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Termy
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Termy »

Mintmann wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:35 pm I finally decided that my fav game is Battlefield 1. Fantastic atmosphere!
I've always enjoyed the WW1 and WW2 games. Medal of Honor had some great games, back in the day. I completed Allied Assault and the expansions several times over those old years. Good times! If you're into trying out the old stuff and haven't tried Allied Assault, I recommend it.
Crito
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Crito »

The original Tribes 1:
https://youtu.be/xpVIfqYVubQ
This guy does the "ski jump" trick perfectly.
kentsh

Post by kentsh »

Mine is GTA: San Andreas. Plays it at least once, every year. First, I've been playing it on my PC. Now, for some time, on my smartphone.
MintyFresh2022
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MintyFresh2022 »

I owe my entire IT career to Quake. Specifically the Team Fortress mod. 2fort4 FTW!!!