* Resolved * Open Arena causes PC to crash.

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Landon
Level 3
Level 3

* Resolved * Open Arena causes PC to crash.

Post by Landon »

Open Arena causes PC to crash.

Linux Mint 20.2 Uma.
MATE 1.24.0
Kernel Linux 5.4.0-135-generic x86_64
Graphics: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 CPU 950 @ 3.07GHz × 8

This is about the eighth time that this has happened since this OS was installed, I'm right in the middle of blasting the crap out of one of the NPC's in the game and suddenly with no errors or any other indications that anything is wrong both monitors go black and then a few moments later the BIOS is loading and the PC is rebooting, eventually I'm back at the Desktop like nothing is wrong and if I load the game again it plays fine.

When this has happened before I've stuck my hand in the tower and the back side of the GPU area of the video card is warm but not anywhere near blazing hot like you would expect for the PC to crash, this last round I loaded up "System Monitor" the memory use went from 2.5 gigs to 2.9 gigs, the 8 CPU's use went from their idle state to around 60%, the game played fine and it closed normally when I exited it.

Not sure where to go with this, PC works fine otherwise (Chrome, email, playing music etc.) and runs for days without ever crashing.
Last edited by LockBot on Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Landon
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Open Arena causes PC to crash.

Post by Landon »

PC crashed again this evening while playing Open Arena, and again there was no warning just right in the middle of things the computer suddenly rebooted, it has been running continuously since at last night with no problems at all.

My ".xsession-errors.old" file had this to say in the last second before things crashed...

Code: Select all

Window manager warning: Log level 16: Visible region is null
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x1400011 (mintMenu.p)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
Window manager warning: Log level 8: g_main_loop_is_running: assertion 'loop != NULL' failed

** (mate-settings-daemon:1389): WARNING **: 21:59:24.780: failed to send session response: Connection was disconnected before a reply was received

(nm-applet:1459): XApp-WARNING **: 21:59:24.790: XAppStatusIcon: lost or could not acquire presence on dbus.  Refreshing.
Window manager warning: Log level 8: g_main_loop_is_running: assertion 'loop != NULL' failed
Gdk-Message: 21:59:24.796: mate-settings-daemon: Fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X server :0.

Gdk-Message: 21:59:24.796: evolution-alarm-notify: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

Gdk-Message: 21:59:24.796: blueberry-obex-agent.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

Gdk-Message: 21:59:24.796: mate-volume-control-status-icon: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

[1714:1714:1207/215924.799547:ERROR:connection.cc(46)] X connection error received.
[1714:1885:1207/215924.800014:ERROR:connection.cc(46)] X connection error received.
Gdk-Message: 21:59:24.809: mintUpdate.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.

[1466:1706:1207/215924.809547:FATAL:bus.cc(1226)] D-Bus connection was disconnected. Aborting.
Gdk-Message: 21:59:24.810: tray.py: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :0.
And that is the end of the file.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Landon wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:49 am Open Arena causes PC to crash.

Linux Mint 20.2 Uma.
MATE 1.24.0

This is about the eighth time that this has happened since this OS was installed, I'm right in the middle of blasting the crap out of one of the NPC's in the game and suddenly with no errors or any other indications that anything is wrong both monitors go black and then a few moments later the BIOS is loading and the PC is rebooting, eventually I'm back at the Desktop like nothing is wrong and if I load the game again it plays fine.
So you know something in Open Arena is causing the graphics to crash. X Server runs the graphics in Linux Mint. Why that is crashing the entire operating system to the point BIOS is loading would seem to indicate a hardware-related issue. If the operating system just crashed and somehow got the signal to reboot, it would be a warm reboot and you would not see the BIOS loading.

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click Copy, and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
Landon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Landon »

SMG wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:33 pm
Landon wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:49 am Open Arena causes PC to crash.

Linux Mint 20.2 Uma.
MATE 1.24.0

So you know something in Open Arena is causing the graphics to crash. X Server runs the graphics in Linux Mint. Why that is crashing the entire operating system to the point BIOS is loading would seem to indicate a hardware-related issue. If the operating system just crashed and somehow got the signal to reboot, it would be a warm reboot and you would not see the BIOS loading.

Please open the System Reports app and click the System Information tab on the left. Your computer's information should come up in the right pane. Then click Copy, and paste the results into a reply window here so we can see how Linux Mint views your hardware.
The computer has been on all day and running fine it crashed again this evening right in the middle of playing the game if I had to guess it is probably the graphics card that is causing the problem, either that something is drawing too much power from the power supply and it is causing the CPU to brown-out and shut down, playing this game is the hardest thing that I make it do all day, kind of sounds like I need to tear the computer apart again.

Anyway here is what you asked for...

Code: Select all

System:    Kernel: 5.4.0-135-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 9.4.0 Desktop: MATE 1.24.0 
           wm: marco dm: LightDM Distro: Linux Mint 20.2 Uma base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal 
Machine:   Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: SABERTOOTH X58 v: Rev 1.xx serial: <filter> 
           BIOS: American Megatrends v: 0802 date: 12/21/2010 
CPU:       Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7 950 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Nehalem rev: 5 
           L2 cache: 8192 KiB 
           flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 49176 
           Speed: 2075 MHz min/max: 1600/3068 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2111 2: 2146 3: 2044 
           4: 3270 5: 2038 6: 2054 7: 2013 8: 3314 
Graphics:  Device-1: NVIDIA GF110 [GeForce GTX 560 Ti 448 Cores] vendor: Gigabyte driver: nvidia 
           v: 340.108 bus ID: 03:00.0 chip ID: 10de:1087 
           Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.13 driver: nvidia 
           unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,nouveau,vesa compositor: marco 
           resolution: 1440x900~60Hz, 1440x900~60Hz 
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 v: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 340.108 
           direct render: Yes 
Audio:     Device-1: Intel 82801JI HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
           bus ID: 00:1b.0 chip ID: 8086:3a3e 
           Device-2: NVIDIA GF110 High Definition Audio vendor: Gigabyte driver: snd_hda_intel 
           v: kernel bus ID: 03:00.1 chip ID: 10de:0e09 
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.4.0-135-generic 
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK driver: r8169 
           v: kernel port: e800 bus ID: 07:01.0 chip ID: 10ec:8167 
           IF: enp7s1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 1.82 TiB used: 186.32 GiB (10.0%) 
           ID-1: /dev/sde vendor: Seagate model: ST1000NM0053-1C1173 size: 931.51 GiB 
           speed: 6.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> 
           ID-2: /dev/sdf vendor: Western Digital model: WD1001FALS-00E8B0 size: 931.51 GiB 
           speed: 3.0 Gb/s serial: <filter> 
Partition: ID-1: / size: 915.32 GiB used: 186.32 GiB (20.4%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sde5 
USB:       Hub: 1-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 6 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0002 
           Device-1: 1-5:2 info: Sony MRW62E Multi-Card Reader/Writer type: Mass Storage 
           driver: usb-storage rev: 2.0 chip ID: 054c:01bd 
           Hub: 2-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 6 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0002 
           Hub: 3-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0001 
           Hub: 4-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0001 
           Hub: 5-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0001 
           Hub: 6-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0001 
           Hub: 7-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0001 
           Hub: 8-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 1.1 chip ID: 1d6b:0001 
           Device-2: 8-1:2 info: Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical type: Mouse 
           driver: hid-generic,usbhid rev: 1.1 chip ID: 045e:0040 
           Device-3: 8-2:3 info: Microsoft Digital Media Pro Keyboard type: Keyboard,HID 
           driver: hid-generic,usbhid rev: 2.0 chip ID: 045e:00b0 
           Hub: 9-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 2.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0002 
           Hub: 10-0:1 info: Full speed (or root) Hub ports: 2 rev: 3.0 chip ID: 1d6b:0003 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 37.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nvidia temp: 28 C 
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
Repos:     No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list 
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list 
           1: deb [arch=amd64] https: //dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
           Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/official-package-repositories.list 
           1: deb http: //mirrors.xmission.com/linuxmint uma main upstream import backport
           2: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal main restricted universe multiverse
           3: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates main restricted universe multiverse
           4: deb http: //archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports main restricted universe multiverse
           5: deb http: //security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ focal-security main restricted universe multiverse
           6: deb http: //archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ focal partner
Info:      Processes: 286 Uptime: 2h 07m Memory: 17.57 GiB used: 2.49 GiB (14.2%) Init: systemd 
           v: 245 runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 9.4.0 alt: 9 Client: Unknown python3.8 client 
           inxi: 3.0.38 
Regarding the fan speeds being listed as N/A they are all plugged into the molex connectors for the hard drives and not the motherboard that is just how this old Antec-900 case is.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Landon wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:23 amif I had to guess it is probably the graphics card that is causing the problem, either that something is drawing too much power from the power supply and it is causing the CPU to brown-out and shut down, playing this game is the hardest thing that I make it do all day, kind of sounds like I need to tear the computer apart again.
My guess is a PSU or motherboard related issue because the computer is restarting without you doing anything.

While gaming it is likely your GPU is drawing the additional power it needs. The power draw to the GPU means a drop in power to the rest of the attached items such as the hard drive. The drop to the hard drive means the operating system goes down which then lowers the GPU's draw on power permitting the system to restart because the necessary power to the hard drive was restored. An problematic PSU could cause that to happen.

From a motherboard standpoint, your system is not updated. If this is the correct information Product support for SABERTOOTH X58, the latest is Version 1402 and I see at least one " Improve system stability" among the updates your system is missing.

Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: SABERTOOTH X58 v: Rev 1.xx serial: <filter>

The updates may help with power draw across the motherboard so the type of possible situation I described does not happen.
Landon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Landon »

SMG wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:56 am
Landon wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:23 amif I had to guess it is probably the graphics card that is causing the problem, either that something is drawing too much power from the power supply and it is causing the CPU to brown-out and shut down, playing this game is the hardest thing that I make it do all day, kind of sounds like I need to tear the computer apart again.
My guess is a PSU or motherboard related issue because the computer is restarting without you doing anything.

While gaming it is likely your GPU is drawing the additional power it needs. The power draw to the GPU means a drop in power to the rest of the attached items such as the hard drive. The drop to the hard drive means the operating system goes down which then lowers the GPU's draw on power permitting the system to restart because the necessary power to the hard drive was restored. An problematic PSU could cause that to happen.

From a motherboard standpoint, your system is not updated. If this is the correct information Product support for SABERTOOTH X58, the latest is Version 1402 and I see at least one " Improve system stability" among the updates your system is missing.

Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: SABERTOOTH X58 v: Rev 1.xx serial: <filter>

The updates may help with power draw across the motherboard so the type of possible situation I described does not happen.
I just replaced the old 500 watt power supply with a brand new right out of the box 800 watt version (and the cord that came with it) and I'll try the game again and see how things go.

Regarding the BIOS update... I'm not doing that at this time, I downloaded the user manual and the latest BIOS for the motherboard but it requires a Windows utility to back up the existing BIOS, flashing the BIOS however just requires a USB drive but if this thing gets bricked or the OS won't load for some reason afterwards I'm not at a place where I want to deal with that right now, maybe after Christmas or if I had a spare motherboard.

Among other things I'm an electronic technician... I did a post replacement autopsy on the old power supply... everything looked fine aside from a little dead moth, it was a very well built power supply all of the capacitors still looked fine and it had over sized heat sinks compared to what I usually see, there are usually a couple of odd capacitors that are a different brand that have the tops bulged up and are leaking brown goo.

The usual results are about 15 minutes into the game it crashes so I should know pretty soon if its going to do that or not.
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

Landon wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:47 amI did a post replacement autopsy on the old power supply... everything looked fine aside from a little dead moth, it was a very well built power supply all of the capacitors still looked fine and it had over sized heat sinks compared to what I usually see, there are usually a couple of odd capacitors that are a different brand that have the tops bulged up and are leaking brown goo.
One of my early helping ventures on this forum turned out to be a two-month long venture where someone was getting random reboots on their computer. The OP posted the issue was power supply, but not in the usual sense. The tolerance of the power distribution across the rails was such that, apparently, the low end of the rail for the hard drive could cycle below what was needed to keep it powered. That was enough for the computer to reboot. The power supply was new, but it was not the best design match for that person's computer. That was how I learned about PSUs and random reboots.

Hopefully you were gaming the night away last night. :)
Landon
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Landon »

SMG wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:24 am
Landon wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:47 amI did a post replacement autopsy on the old power supply... everything looked fine aside from a little dead moth, it was a very well built power supply all of the capacitors still looked fine and it had over sized heat sinks compared to what I usually see, there are usually a couple of odd capacitors that are a different brand that have the tops bulged up and are leaking brown goo.
One of my early helping ventures on this forum turned out to be a two-month long venture where someone was getting random reboots on their computer. The OP posted the issue was power supply, but not in the usual sense. The tolerance of the power distribution across the rails was such that, apparently, the low end of the rail for the hard drive could cycle below what was needed to keep it powered. That was enough for the computer to reboot. The power supply was new, but it was not the best design match for that person's computer. That was how I learned about PSUs and random reboots.

Hopefully you were gaming the night away last night. :)
I've had all kinds of problems over the years, my foray into the Linux world was out of mere frustration with Windows 98 and the Microsoft Office suite (Office 97 at the time), I won't bore you with all of the details but I went through motherboards, hard drives, reinstalling Windows, installing Windows 2000, some other version of Office but no matter what I did Word and Excel just kept crashing, it was like I was fated to just leave Windows behind...

I ended up installing "Open Office" just to have a stable office suite so that I could get some work done for someone and somewhere down the road I was sick of the constant problems with Windows and decided that since I'm using an open suite I may as well go with an open operating system and someone recommended Linux and well here I am.

One of my most memorable hardware failures was a power supply that worked fine and then I shut the PC down for the night but the following morning it would not turn back on, long story short the big switching transistor that makes the DC voltage side work was completely cracked in half and after some research you can only get it on alibaba.com and you have to order 500 of them at 79 cents each... I bought at new power supply.

But anyway back to the point... the new power supply seems to be what the doctor ordered, the graphics in the game seems to be brighter and I can see colors and texture details in the character's outfits that I couldn't see before, I think the GPU was doing everything that it could but it was just running out of power, and I played the game so long last night that I wore myself out and had to go do something else, so I'm going to consider this resolved.

Thank you for the help. :-)
Last edited by Landon on Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Re: * Resolved * Open Arena causes PC to crash.

Post by deepakdeshp »

Great job once again SMG!
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb

Return to “Gaming”