100+ titles in Steam already :-)

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nankura

Re: 100+ titles in Steam already :-)

Post by nankura »

I have to disagree with the guy who stated that buying linux games from steam is a waiste of 1$, Yes you are entitled to your opinion but for the price you are achieving quality game's and not "poor" game's as you seemed to have stated, along with not all games are priced so cheaply.

yes, we are yet to have triple AAA titles and large MMO's hit the linux world. but its a start, its a catalyst and there are some top quality game's looking to linux's pathway and opening door's for more to come over the next phew year's

And i would hardly call the game's that have been ported "poor"

Example's

Wargame European Escalation and soon to come Airground battle - one of the most realistic and successful mix of RTS and Tactical war game's to hit the scene in year's beside's company of heroes.

Counter-strike source - and soon to come Global Offensive - one of the most successful competitive shooter's in the history of mankind ever to hit the scene, featuring competition's around the world, producing most of today's famous gamers and team's. such as Na'Vi, SK Gaming etc etc. in no way is this a "poor" game. its success is unmatched over the past 10 years

Team Fortress 2 - largely famous. not as much in the competitive scene but has hundred's of mods, availability, and million's of players everyday

Left 4 dead 2 - clearly the most successful zombie shooter experience to ever hit the pc

Soon to come game's - all the new source engine game's are currently being worked on. they have ported the old source/half life engine over, now they are working on the new source engine which will feature such games as

Half-life 3
Global Offensive

And the famous DOTA 2 - again one of the largest, and most hyped up and most successful MOBA game's alive. its always in competition with league of legend's, its free, and it started the entire MOBA scene with the original DOTA

I've been competitive gaming for year's now. and ive always wanted to see these game's come to linux since it is my favourite operating system and has alot of feature's to boot

So i personally Resent your comment's calling these game's poor, and a waiste of money. when clearly million's of people will disagree with you.

And yes, linux gamers on steam only equal 3.5% of the steam population. But thats just as much as MAC, and ontop of that, when your talking in the billions, 3% is still a damn large number

On another note besides my rant - Yes i would definatly like to see more popular games come to linux. i know so many gamer's who say the same statement "if linux just had my favourite games available, i would switch"

These include games like planetside 2, tribes ascend, world of warcraft, guild wars 2, etc etc the list goes on. if steam could just convince these other large company's to follow in their footstep's, that 3% would rise very quickly without a doubt
Booman

Post by Booman »

Exactly! Every system has to start somewhere and I think Steam has quite an advantage compared to most consoles on their first release.
Specially the fact that your Valve games already run without having to pay for them... so if you wanted to try Linux out of curiosity, you can already try those games right off the bat.

Whats this about Half-Life 3? Are those rumors because I havn't heard anything about it yet?
nankura

Post by nankura »

Gabe newell confirmed i think at last years E3 when he was discussin DOTA 2 and Global offensive that half-life 3 is in the plans, but theres being no official production announcement

But fact is that for global offensive and dota 2, steam reworked there source engine to perform better, so chances are very high that they will use there latest engine to run half life 3
Booman

Post by Booman »

I hope so, they have some pretty big shoes-to-fill with HL2, E1 & E2
phill1978

Post by phill1978 »

steam needs to suceed or amd will never pull their finger out and neither will we move away from the arse x.org

Mesa should stand for Mess'up
nankura

Post by nankura »

dont worry steam will succeed, they may be slow since they have only a handful of staff on linux. but they will get their, one day ull logon to see a whole host of new features and games
HarzVieh

Post by HarzVieh »

dont worry steam will succeed
[url]http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/828938532583531145/[/url]

Game: X3: Albion Prelude
System: Linux Mint 64 bit 14 Nadia
Video: GeForce 9800 GTX(310)
Graphics: Exellent
Additional Info: 8)
phill1978

Post by phill1978 »

posted in other thread, but i just thought id be fair, i just tested 13.4 catalyst driver on my new A10-5800k and with tear free enabled in the control center most games are now 60fps flat :D

my dedicated 5 series GPU (now to be sold) which should be 5 times as fast was 5 times as slow using the same drivers. So this means the work on AMD drivers has been focussed on newer hardware and yet many people have 5 series and 4 series cards still.
nankura

Post by nankura »

HarzVieh wrote:
dont worry steam will succeed
[url]http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410/discussions/0/828938532583531145/[/url]

Game: X3: Albion Prelude
System: Linux Mint 64 bit 14 Nadia
Video: GeForce 9800 GTX(310)
Graphics: Exellent
Additional Info: 8)

Game: X3: Albion prelude
System: Linux Mint 15 64x
Video: ATi 7770 HIS 1Ghz Edition (13.4 Catalyst)
Graphics: Superb
Additional info: My Cerberus is bigger than your Cerberus :lol: :lol:
HarzVieh

Post by HarzVieh »

Additional info: My Cerberus is bigger than your Cerberus :lol: :lol:
Now we are talking.. :P
Thank you for giving your Graphics card information.. some people are experience difficulties installing AMD drivers.. now they can see, it is possible.
Seriously.. someone should clean up the repository from not working games.. makes no good impression on the distribution.. even if it is free, it should be tested before.. yea I know we pull stuff from Ubuntu, but still.. how is that saying?: "You can trow 1000 rabbits on one spot, it will still not look like an elephant." :wink:
nankura

Post by nankura »

everytime i install ATi drivers i do it manually, i never use the automated tools

i download the drivers off the website
install kernel headers
install 32bit Compatability Libs
install ubuntu restricted extras
install drivers

And everything works like a charm
HarzVieh

Post by HarzVieh »

This distribution aims at no CLI experience for an average user.. you can even say, it grow on people without any CLI knowledge, like me.. 8)
I think that's the reason we don't have Steam installed by default yet.. if it works, good for you.. but if not, what is even the correct procedure to find out?
Is it the OS, is it Steam, is it the Driver, or is it the Game? I did my best in sharing my way of doing things so it works, because I am almost absolute "no CLI" operator.. :|
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

[url]http://www.dota2.com/thebetaisover/[/url]
Will Dota 2 be available for Mac or Linux?
The Mac and Linux builds are currently in testing and will be available soon.
cornleader
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cornleader »

A point worth mentioning is that indie game developers are catching on to linux. Look back say 10+ years. Gaming on linux was very limited. Look at today. I've been playing all kinds of games on linux with great success I might add. 2 titles worth mentioning, Minecraft and FTL. Regardless if you enjoy these games or not, there are people who are passionate about these titles.

Minecraft is probably one of the most successful indie titles ever. Despite the fact that their target audience may be a bit young, the game has been very successful. The developers of FTL admitted that their sales exceeded their expectations by 2000 percent!!! Developers are noticing a market for linux users. How can this be bad? linux provides one of the best platforms for indie developers. A free OS with a huge support community. C/C++/Assembler/Java/Perl/Python/Lua and I could go on. I predict soon people will say, "I want to buy that game but it's only available on linux"

Go steam Go!!
nankura

Post by nankura »

anandrkris wrote:[url]http://www.dota2.com/thebetaisover/[/url]
Will Dota 2 be available for Mac or Linux?
The Mac and Linux builds are currently in testing and will be available soon.
http://games.on.net/2013/07/dota-2-is-now-available-for-mac-and-linux-as-well/

Dota 2 is officially out on linux :D:D:D

Return to “Gaming”