Linux Mint DE Mate vs Cinnamon for gaming on Steam

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
LinuxGamer2013
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxGamer2013 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:25 pm

i was wanting to know of any of you was having a hard time using Cinnamon far as i can see MATE works just fine but i like the eye candy form Cinnamon.
i do have Linux Mint MATE installed on my test drive and was looking to replace Ubuntu with Mint once and for all i dont like the way Ubnutu is going but i like some of its repos and the proprietary it offers
Proprietary software is why i dont use OpenSUSE that being said suse is a little bit Anti proprietary
if any of you are using Cinnamon and like to offer any tips and tweaks for gaming on Cinnamon i appreciate them.
last time i used Cinnamon it was in Beta same go's for MATE it's not the same DE i used back them a lot has improved.
i been looking for a really good DE for Gaming Video Editing watching movies/videos recording Etc

gemini89
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Linux Mint DE Mate vs Cinnamon for gaming on Steam

Post by gemini89 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:31 am

I´ve tried Mate, Cinnamon, KDE and XFCE for gaming on Linux mint. There should not be any difference, but for me there are. For instance, in Cinnamon I got this black "box" in the upper left corner on the screen sometimes after gaming.

For me Mate and XFCE are those DE´s that works best.
Desktop: Intel i5 4670K, 16 GB, Geforce GTX 770, LM 17 Cinnamon
"Steambox": AMD FX-6100, 8 GB, Geforce GTX 650Ti, LM 13 Mate
Ultrabook: Acer Timeline U, Intel i3, 4 GB, Intel HD 3000, LM 17 Cinnamon
Mediacenter: Intel NUC, LM 17 XFCE

LinuxGamer2013
Level 1
Level 1

Post by LinuxGamer2013 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:01 am

gemini89 wrote:I´ve tried Mate, Cinnamon, KDE and XFCE for gaming on Linux mint. There should not be any difference, but for me there are. For instance, in Cinnamon I got this black "box" in the upper left corner on the screen sometimes after gaming.

i going to use Linux Mint MATE cant what for Linux Mint MATE Edition 15

justy39
Level 1
Level 1

Post by justy39 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:18 am

Because most mints are ubuntu based. Steam should work the same regardless UI version. I know like my old laptop, there is no video drivers to support cinnamon. So steam and cinnamon it's self isn't gonna work to begin with.
Odin's Oath Keepers.

whitearabqc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whitearabqc » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:38 pm

gemini89 wrote:I´ve tried Mate, Cinnamon, KDE and XFCE for gaming on Linux mint. There should not be any difference, but for me there are. For instance, in Cinnamon I got this black "box" in the upper left corner on the screen sometimes after gaming.

I get this black box too, it is not something that happens only on Cinammon, I am running Mate. I guess it depends on the hardware. I am using a Inspiron 7520 AMD Radeon HD 7730 m and when I get out of any game wether it is a native one (or ported) or even wine (Playonlinux) I still have it. but the performance are pretty much the same , as long as I have tried it. I have tried gaming on Ubuntu 12.10, Mint 14 cinammon and Mint 14 MATE, besides the black box I got from MINT there is nothing really different about the gaming performance, Maybe for a game, but I guess it was an update that made the difference in this game (Dungeon Defender)

gemini89
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gemini89 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:56 am

whitearabqc wrote:I get this black box too, it is not something that happens only on Cinammon, I am running Mate. I guess it depends on the hardware. I am using a Inspiron 7520 AMD Radeon HD 7730 m and when I get out of any game wether it is a native one (or ported) or even wine (Playonlinux) I still have it. but the performance are pretty much the same , as long as I have tried it. I have tried gaming on Ubuntu 12.10, Mint 14 cinammon and Mint 14 MATE, besides the black box I got from MINT there is nothing really different about the gaming performance, Maybe for a game, but I guess it was an update that made the difference in this game (Dungeon Defender)
Did you try proprietary drivers? And if so, did you try the native open source one´s?
Desktop: Intel i5 4670K, 16 GB, Geforce GTX 770, LM 17 Cinnamon
"Steambox": AMD FX-6100, 8 GB, Geforce GTX 650Ti, LM 13 Mate
Ultrabook: Acer Timeline U, Intel i3, 4 GB, Intel HD 3000, LM 17 Cinnamon
Mediacenter: Intel NUC, LM 17 XFCE

whitearabqc
Level 1
Level 1

Post by whitearabqc » Sun May 26, 2013 6:59 pm

Native open source drivers? I would like to know what do our mean by that! I have been using the last proprietary driver from amd and I am experiencing bad performances.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”