Help with Video Card on STEAM

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Centropolis
Level 1
Level 1

Help with Video Card on STEAM

Post by Centropolis » Mon May 13, 2013 3:14 pm

I am running Mint 14 KDE. I installed Steam and then downloaded Counter-Strike Source. I ran the game for the first time and the graphics was horrible! I am using a 3 year old Acer laptop with onboard graphics. I know onboard graphics is not the best for gaming but I know from using the same laptop with Windows and Steam (for Windows) that it is able to handle this game without problems. For sure, much better graphics….not choppy like now on Linux.

I installed Mint 14 KDE fresh and didn’t install any 3rd-party video card drivers (as far as I know). I know it’s only onboard graphics but is there proprietary drivers to install to make my video better? I believe it’s the ATI Radeon HD 4250 on board graphics I have.

homerscousin
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Help with Video Card on STEAM

Post by homerscousin » Wed May 15, 2013 11:08 pm

I read this, I'll say something. Yes, there are proprietary drivers you can install and they do usually make a big difference. There are many threads and posts here related to installing AMD/ ATI/ Radeon drivers. I use my Intel graphics.
i5 3570k, ASRock z77 Extreme 4, 8 Gb Ripjaws 1600, Antec 430w psu, HVR 1600 tv tuner, custom case- marble top, oak face. Carver & DCM Time Window sound system. Mint 14 KDE.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”