Gaming on Linux Mint 15 through Steam, your experiences

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Gaming on Linux Mint 15 through Steam, your experiences

Post by powerhouse »

@OP regarding Crusader Kings II: I apologize for being off-topic, but I had to comment. The title sounds just too promising. The game on the website looks nice, but I think they could have actually added a lot more. Is there any way to play Peter the hermit in the "peasants crusade", or the "children's crusade" (though I believe the latter is a bit disputed)? The defeat first of, then against the Ayyub ruler Salah a-Din (Saladin) is also worth examination. Or Frederick II's (the odd-ball) "bloodless" crusade, which was actually successful. The crusader period is such an exciting time, just wonder how the game holds up?
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

I've recently purchased the Half Life 2 collection, on an A64 3k/ HD 6450. While it mostly runs smooth, it's worse than 9 years ago on XP but without better graphics. I assume this is due to the Source 2013 engine rather than fglrx.

My main gripe with Steam is the unstability of the client. It's slow, tends to freeze, fail to start (or close), and ignore bandwith restrictions (breaking my network). Plus it uses Flash 11.2 so video performance is poor.
Last edited by Previous1 on Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Megazell

Post by Megazell »

Previous1 wrote:I've recently purchased the Half Life 2 collection, on an A64 3k/ HD 6450. While it mostly runs smooth, it's worse than 9 years ago on XP but without better graphics. I assume this is due to the Source 2013 engine rather than fglrx.

My main gripe with Steam is the unstability of the client. It's slow, likes to freeze, fail to start or close properly, and ignore bandwith restrictions (breaking my network). Plus it uses Flash 11.2 so video performance is poor.
Hmm. I've yet to have a problem with STEAM. Seems solid to me. I just wish the browser while ingame could be modified with an adblock add-on.
powerhouse
Level 6
Level 6

Post by powerhouse »

Previous1 wrote:I've recently purchased the Half Life 2 collection, on an A64 3k/ HD 6450. While it mostly runs smooth, it's worse than 9 years ago on XP but without better graphics. I assume this is due to the Source 2013 engine rather than fglrx.

My main gripe with Steam is the unstability of the client. It's slow, tends to freeze, fail to start (or close), and ignore bandwith restrictions (breaking my network). Plus it uses Flash 11.2 so video performance is poor.
I don't think you can expect much from an HD 6450. The only thing it's good for is a HTPC using XBMC and special drivers to allow HD video playback using the HD 6450's hardware decoding, where it performs amazingly well. Other than that, I couldn't even use it to scroll Internet pages in Firefox without tearing. Playing Flash or Youtube was terrible.
Subjects of interest: Linux, vfio passthrough virtualization, photography
See my blog on virtualization, including tutorials: https://www.heiko-sieger.info/category/ ... alization/
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

Well I could expect it to perform as well as my X800 back then, from Valve too. But I changed AFx4 to Billinear and it seems better now. So long for all the advice on how AF has no performance impact for "modern" GPUs.

Don't have issues with Flash outside Steam/FF. Regular videos run well in Chrome and HD ones in VLC (or XBMC before the youtube addon got broken).

Also I noticed Steam takes up 100% CPU after it starts - turns out it checks for propriety drivers (jockey-backend). Which makes no sense as the AMD.com drivers are way newer than those from the repositories...
clfarron4

Post by clfarron4 »

Previous1 wrote:Also I noticed Steam takes up 100% CPU after it starts - turns out it checks for propriety drivers (jockey-backend). Which makes no sense as the AMD.com drivers are way newer than those from the repositories...
This is my main gripe. I tend to just ignore this one, but I've noticed on my ArchLinux setup, where I have Catalyst 13.12, that it says that I have dated drivers, where it doesn't on Mint ¬¬
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

This may help:

Code: Select all

sudo chmod o-x /usr/bin/jockey-text
Previous1

Post by Previous1 »

I think I've found out on my performance issues (and distorted sound)... PulseAudio. :evil:

Return to “Gaming”