Will Mint 16 use Mir?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
z_mumford
Level 1
Level 1

Will Mint 16 use Mir?

Post by z_mumford »

With Ubuntu making the change over to Mir, where will that leave Mint?
I assume most proprietary drivers will be made to function better with Mir, could this Mint Gaming be short lived?

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Will Mint 16 use Mir?

Post by xenopeek »

As previously shared by Clem; Linux Mint isn't in the business of gambling on winners. Linux Mint 16 will use Xorg. Like all other distros and desktop environments, except for Ubuntu with Unity, Linux Mint will most likely eventually move to Wayland. Mir is only developed for Ubuntu with Unity currently. It may eventually also be made suitable for other desktop environments and other distros, but that is unlikely. Mir is a one distro + one desktop environment project.

Mir is being developed for Unity specifically, and Unity was developed for Ubuntu specifically. The lack of Unity on other distros is not because everybody doesn't like it (there are many users that do like it), but due to it having been developed for Ubuntu specifically and being hard to port to other distros. There are but a few distros (not counting Ubuntu derivatives) that have successfully ported Ubuntu: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_%28user_interface%29#Availability
z_mumford wrote:could this Mint Gaming be short lived?
Perhaps you are referring to the SteamBox plans and that Steam for Linux started on Ubuntu? Steam however works on other desktop environments and on other distros. Time will tell whether Valve will bind tightly to Ubuntu and thus to Mir, and whether that means that also AMD and Nvidia will bind tightly to Mir.

Wayland already works on Intel, and also on AMD and Nvidia when using the open source drivers. Support from AMD and Nvidia for Wayland with the closed source drivers is pending, though at least Nvidia was reported to be working on it.

I'll just happily continue to use Intel for gaming which works fine for everything except the latest "shoot everything in sight" games that I don't enjoy anyway :) See a recent comparison of Intel performance for gaming: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=intel_haswell_radeon&num=1.

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

xenopeek wrote:As previously
Good write up. Thanks.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

z_mumford
Level 1
Level 1

Post by z_mumford »

Thanks for the amazing write up, that explained everything perfectly. Hopefully Valve and therefore AMD/NVidia don't stick strictly to Ubuntu with Mir coming up, although I know Valve has stated that Steam for Linux is designed primarily for Ubuntu.

guilhermehartmann
Level 1
Level 1

Post by guilhermehartmann »

I was wondering that with the latest generation of integrated gpus Mir/Wayland could work as a compositor for the window manager, but at the same time have a full screen texture that could receive the rendering result from a discrete gpu ...

You will get some latency having to move the frames around but I would like to see what could be done on that

phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phill1978 »

if valve go with Mir / ubuntu only and there isnt a PERFECT sync with x API i.e not even 1 frame lossed and also the X API updates (xmir / xwayland) dont break as soon as canoical updates Mir ???????

then i am sticking to windows for PC gaming. end of story. And canoical can go down in history for shafting every linux user on the planet who dreamed of gaming on the linux open source platform

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”