Wine with gstreamer on 64bit system

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
WizardStan
Level 1
Level 1

Wine with gstreamer on 64bit system

Post by WizardStan »

I didn't used to have a problem, but for the past half year, perhaps 8 months, I have periodically tried to play certain games (a complete list of which I can't currently think of but the primary one I have been trying to get working being [url=http://www.malevolencegame.com/]Malevolence[/url]) only to be met with

Code: Select all

(wine:6905): GStreamer-WARNING **: Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstpython.so': /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstpython.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64
The problem is obvious: I have the 64bit version of libgstpython.so (being a 64bit system) and Wine requires the 32bit (being a 32bit program). I also remember getting other gstreamer plugin failures with other games I had tried but I can't remember what they were at the moment to reproduce. They're irrelevant, the problem is the same.
The obvious solution is to install the required 32 bit packages. In this particular case "python-gst0.10:i386" but also "gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad:i386".
The not so obvious problem is that Ubuntu's multi-arch support appears to be very, very broken. These two packages are at odds with their AMD64 counterparts, along with all the dependencies thereof. Installing python-gst0.10:i386 requires the complete i386 python subsystem which has the effect of removing the 64bit version I already have installed, breaking a lot of things in the process. Same for the gstreamer-plugins-bad: it spent 20 minutes removing packages when I installed it and its dependencies leaving me with a system incapable of doing a great many things with video and audio until I'd re-installed the 64bit version (which subsequently took about 20 minutes to remove the i386 versions).
Since it used to work so many months ago I obviously updated something along the way that maybe I shouldn't have and the result is a broken system, but I've no idea what it could possibly be.
I am running Mint 14 with wine 1.6. Everything is kept up to date on a regular basis. My question is simple: is there a way to fix this? I have searched and searched and found only one other post in all my travels through the internets about someone having this problem, so whatever it is that I've done it cannot be impossible to work around.
I've followed many guides about "running Wine on 64bit systems" (via such as chroot or lxc), but these guides only explain only how to build it, with the actual running of Wine being back in the base system where libraries clash like titans. What wisdom can you bestow upon me that I may play my games as I once did? Is there a trick I'm not aware of to force the gstreamer plugins to install without requiring their huge list of dependencies nor wiping out the 64bit versions I need for everything else in my system? If I upgrade to Mint 15 will that solve everything? Could I downgrade to Wine1.5 or even 1.4 perhaps? Or try upgrading to the latest development?
Thank you for any assistance.
WizardStan
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine with gstreamer on 64bit system

Post by WizardStan »

Sorry for the bump. I know it hasn't been very long but this is a frustrating issue.
I'm not strictly looking for a solution, just some confirmation that this is a problem that cannot be avoided, or perhaps that someone has somehow worked around even if they don't know how. If I know it's futile then I can look for more drastic solutions instead of futzing around with libraries.
[url=http://www.solest.org/labyrinthine-dreams/]Labyrinthine Dreams[/url] is a free game that exhibits the same problem. The game at least starts, but after getting to the main screen and pressing an arrow key (to change menu items) it presumably tries to load some sound effect or something and I get the "Failed to load plugin '/usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstpython.so': /usr/lib/gstreamer-0.10/libgstpython.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64" error followed by pages upon pages of "Your GStreamer installation is missing a plug-in."
Mint 14, wine 1.6, 64bit system, is anyone able to actually run this game or is the GStreamer an issue for everyone?
WizardStan
Level 1
Level 1

Post by WizardStan »

Sorry again for the bump, but it's been two weeks. A simple "yes, we get that problem too and haven't found a way around it" would suffice, please. Or if you don't have this problem that would also be good to know, it would tell me that there is something wrong with my system and instead of scrapping it all I can just reinstall and start fresh.
Thank you.
Rua
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Rua »

I have been having this problem for a very long time. The two architectures clash with each other, making it impossible to install 32-bit and 64-bit versions side by side. That in turn makes it impossible to use 32-bit programs with media support. It seems very strange that nobody has had this problem before, and yet it has existed for somewhere around two years now. It's getting kind of tiresome.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”