Linux, for gamers? Whats your thoughts?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
NinemmRx
Level 1
Level 1

Linux, for gamers? Whats your thoughts?

Post by NinemmRx »

I hope that anyone reading this doesn't comment because they think I am being condescending towards Linux, or think that I am trying to take a shot in any way, shape, or form. Quite the opposite, I am a Linux fan and my hope is that from now on, between Steam, Steam OS, and other avenues, new game releases will become available for the Linux crowd as well. I know the older Linux crowd could care less about games and gamers, it is mostly the more recent and younger crowd of operators that cares; but I would like to know the thoughts of the community on this one.

:arrow:
Last edited by xenopeek on Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved to gaming forum
*rz~ - NinemmRx

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
-Albert Einstein
Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux, for gamers? Whats your thoughts?

Post by Booman »

Man I am bent on making Linux my new gaming platform.
Its almost ironic because I have been using Linux for 5 or 6 years as a game server for my LAN Parties.
I always wished it could run my games but never really gave it a chance until last year.
Now I spent most of my free time testing my PC games in Linux.
I even keep a list of games (see signature) and post guides on how to play those windows only games in PlayOnLinux.

Steam OS is a big step for Linux and regardless if its a financial success or not, it still proves that Linux has the capability to be a gaming platform.

I prefer Linux for gaming because its free and encourages freedom to customize and use it the way you want.
Free is always encouraging, but I found out quickly I can choose my desktop manager and my windows manager. If I want extra performance for gaming, then I search online for ways to minimize background processes.
I also found that any ideas I have for Linux, someone else has already thought of it and implemented it in one way or another.
I even have lots of distros to select depending on the need.
Not to mention its great to have on a flash drive as a portable computer.

Us hardcore gamers may still have a single Windows machine just for that newest game, but one day there will be a HUGE Steam title that is only available on Linux and the gamers will flock to check it out.
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
PlayOnLinux GuidesTested Games List
gemini89
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gemini89 »

Well, I´ve come back to computer gaming thanks to being able to play games natively on Linux, I was off for a few years to consoles because I got tired of being forced* to use Windows for gaming. Bought a new computer last summer with Linux compatibility in mind. Most games runs fine, some have major issues, like Metro: last light, which is a shame. Sometimes it feels like developers just makes a quick port and then just don´t care to patch it. Hopefully this will change when Steam OS gets released and the Linux numbers grow.

*I know there´s Wine, but I don´t really like the idea of it. And always when I´ve tried it, it has just been a mess.
Desktop: Intel i5 4670K, 16 GB, Geforce GTX 770, LM 17 Cinnamon
"Steambox": AMD FX-6100, 8 GB, Geforce GTX 650Ti, LM 13 Mate
Ultrabook: Acer Timeline U, Intel i3, 4 GB, Intel HD 3000, LM 17 Cinnamon
Mediacenter: Intel NUC, LM 17 XFCE
Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Booman »

When I originally tried Wine years ago, it was definitely a mess.
In the last year I have tested over 100 games in Wine (with PlayOnLinux) and most of them run successfully.
The key is to have a decent gaming desktop with a dedicated video card.

I know there is some debate about Wine basically acting like Windows, but its all I got.
I collect games and have several hundred, if I stick with Native only games, that list would be really small.
Not to mention, most gamers start on Windows and still want to play the games they already have.

So I've dedicated my time to writing guides on how to play them in PlayOnLinux.
I also play a few native Linux games as well... generally they run much better than the Wine games.
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
gemini89
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gemini89 »

Booman wrote:When I originally tried Wine years ago, it was definitely a mess.
In the last year I have tested over 100 games in Wine (with PlayOnLinux) and most of them run successfully.
The key is to have a decent gaming desktop with a dedicated video card.

I know there is some debate about Wine basically acting like Windows, but its all I got.
I collect games and have several hundred, if I stick with Native only games, that list would be really small.
Not to mention, most gamers start on Windows and still want to play the games they already have.

So I've dedicated my time to writing guides on how to play them in PlayOnLinux.
I also play a few native Linux games as well... generally they run much better than the Wine games.
I respect both your opinion and the work you do. And I understand fully people who want to play Winows-only games. Sometimes I see games on Steam that are Windows-only that I´m thinking about buying, but since I don´t want take the risk and end up not being able to play them because I don´t have a computer with Windows, I don´t buy them.
Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Booman »

Yup understood. The only reason its easy for me is because I already have a bunch of games.
You may want to look into buying bundles so you can get 5 or 6 games for $6

Otherwise, there are a bunch of free games that run in Wine pretty well.

You can always check WineHQ's too and see if a game you want to buy runs.
I also have a list of games I've tested in PlayOnLinux. Of course I have a desktop with a GeForce 550 Ti.
It makes all the difference when you have the right hardware.
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
XplosiV
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XplosiV »

Hi, let me start of with an apology, I don't intend to hijack the topic. However this topic caught my attention, and I'd very much value all opinions. Booman particularly seems to know what he's talking about.

I'm currently running Mint16KDE on an old HP 2.5Ghz//8GB Ram//1GB dedicated Nvidia Graphics (cant remember what model) just to get the feel of it. However I'm seriously considering purchasing a new powerhouse laptop. I7 quad core 2.8Ghz//6 or 8GB Nvidia 880m graphics etc...

I know Nvidia have drivers for the card supplied so I'm cool there. I'm generally curious about what I would need to run games like counter strike source/GO, DayZ, Diablo 3 etc. I have already deduced I'd need Wine, and by the sounds of it, playonlinux. Can anyone provide some background on what they do, specifically, how to set them up, that kind of thing etc?

Many thanks in advance.
jmorris84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jmorris84 »

XplosiV wrote:Hi, let me start of with an apology, I don't intend to hijack the topic. However this topic caught my attention, and I'd very much value all opinions. Booman particularly seems to know what he's talking about.

I'm currently running Mint16KDE on an old HP 2.5Ghz//8GB Ram//1GB dedicated Nvidia Graphics (cant remember what model) just to get the feel of it. However I'm seriously considering purchasing a new powerhouse laptop. I7 quad core 2.8Ghz//6 or 8GB Nvidia 880m graphics etc...

I know Nvidia have drivers for the card supplied so I'm cool there. I'm generally curious about what I would need to run games like counter strike source/GO, DayZ, Diablo 3 etc. I have already deduced I'd need Wine, and by the sounds of it, playonlinux. Can anyone provide some background on what they do, specifically, how to set them up, that kind of thing etc?

Many thanks in advance.
You won't need Wine to play CSS/GO. They are available on Steam for Linux.
XplosiV
Level 1
Level 1

Post by XplosiV »

jmorris84 wrote:
XplosiV wrote:Hi, let me start of with an apology, I don't intend to hijack the topic. However this topic caught my attention, and I'd very much value all opinions. Booman particularly seems to know what he's talking about.

Many thanks in advance.
Thanks for that, good to know :)
jmorris84
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jmorris84 »

XplosiV wrote:
jmorris84 wrote:

Many thanks in advance.
Thanks for that, good to know :)
I just finished playing a few rounds myself. I purchased and installed CSS the other day. :)
Previous1
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Previous1 »

CS:GO is not available on Linux. It's separate from CS:S.
Tutorials | cynicaltux
Arch Linux i3wm, 64bit
gemini89
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gemini89 »

XplosiV wrote:However I'm seriously considering purchasing a new powerhouse laptop. I7 quad core 2.8Ghz//6 or 8GB Nvidia 880m graphics etc... .
Sounds good, except that you probably will have a lot of problems with the GPU. Correct me if I´m wrong, but the dual Intel+Nvidia graphics are a really mess to setup in Linux. Don´t have any experience though, but I´ve read it several times. If I were you I´d buy a desktop instead, I mean your "old" laptop seems to have quite good specs anyway.
Previous1 wrote:CS:GO is not available on Linux. It's separate from CS:S.
True, but it will come to Linux eventually.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”