Dota-2 running slower on Mint 16 than on Windows

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
lalalatrees
Level 1
Level 1

Dota-2 running slower on Mint 16 than on Windows

Post by lalalatrees »

Hi everyone. Relatively new to linux, it appears as though I either don't have a driver for DRAM or it's not working correctly.
I'm currently dual booting windows 7 and linux mint 16 on my sony vaio laptop.
I first noticed this problem while trying to play some steam games and at first it was exactly the same as this one.
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Dota-2/issues/1061
After using the command that the poster used (i think it installed the driver for my onboard intel 4000 graphics) I loaded up a game and it worked but much slower than if I run it on windows. This led me to believe it was a problem with the ram.
I came upon this site not much longer after.
http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/index.rhtmlx
And after plugging in my info it says that my "3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller" was not working.
So I guess what I'm asking is is there some terminal line I can use to get the correct driver?
Help me fix this?
Thanks.
Last edited by xenopeek on Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: subject changed to be more relevant; topic moved here
xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Dota-2 running slower on Mint 16 than on Windows

Post by xenopeek »

If your DRAM controller doesn't work, you wouldn't be able to boot the operating system. No DRAM controller = no access to memory. That's not your problem (if you have a problem at all).

As for what you installed, if you had bothered to look first you would know this wasn't a driver for your graphics chip: http://packages.ubuntu.com/en/saucy/libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0. To be clear, apparently you are running a 32-bit version of Dota-2 on a 64-bit installation of Linux Mint. Dota-2 apparently needs that library that you installed, and because Dota-2 is 32-bit it needed you to manually install the 32-bit version of the library (the :i386 part).

You have fixed the problem of the red screen. If there is a difference in speed with Windows, that's not another question.
lalalatrees
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lalalatrees »

Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me.
I may be asking too much but would you(or anyone else) know why linux would be running the game so much slower?
On windows I can run most games at approximately half settings, but with linux it runs very bad at the lowest possible settings.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

What desktop are you running?
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
phill1978
Level 3
Level 3

Post by phill1978 »

lalalatrees wrote:Ah, thanks for clearing that up for me.
I may be asking too much but would you(or anyone else) know why linux would be running the game so much slower?
On windows I can run most games at approximately half settings, but with linux it runs very bad at the lowest possible settings.
yes compositing.
if your running xfce it has a pants compositor (the thing that controls window overlays and transparency etc..) it nukes 50% of my frames when playing full screen games and increases stutter a lot on frames. Turning compositing off gives me a much smoother experience.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”