Playstation 2 Emulator Improved.

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Playstation 2 Emulator Improved.

Post by Monsta »

Post the output of:

Code: Select all

dpkg --print-foreign-architectures

inxi -Sr

apt policy libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa:i386 libgbm1 libgbm1:i386
roblm
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Playstation 2 Emulator Improved.

Post by roblm »

UPDATED INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS - Installing PCSX2 in Mint 17.3 Cinnamon 64-bit:

Open the Terminal and type this command to add the official pcsx2 ppa:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gregory-hainaut/pcsx2.official.ppa
Then type these commands, one at a time, pressing ENTER after each one:

sudo apt update
sudo apt install libegl1-mesa-lts-vivid:i386
sudo apt install pcsx2:i386
Open the Menu > Games > PCSX2. On the PCSX2 Configuration Screen, Click “Next” and stop here. Open the File Manager and go to /home/your-user-name/.config/pcsx2
Add your Playstation 2 bios files to the bios folder. Then go back to the PCSX2 Configuration Screen and follow the instructions in my previous post.

Installing PCSX2 in Mint 17.1 & 17.2, Cinnamon 64-bit:

Only these three commands are needed:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gregory-hainaut/pcsx2.official.ppa
sudo apt update
However, when I typed the last command, these were some of the disturbing lines from the output:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
caribou cinnamon gir1.2-clutter-1.0 gir1.2-cogl-1.0 gir1.2-coglpango-1.0
gir1.2-gtkclutter-1.0 gir1.2-muffin-3.0 gir1.2-totem-1.0
gstreamer1.0-clutter libclutter-1.0-0 libclutter-gst-2.0-0
libclutter-gtk-1.0-0 libcogl-pango15 libcogl15 libegl1-mesa-drivers
libmuffin0 libtotem0 libwayland-egl1-mesa mint-meta-cinnamon
mint-meta-codecs totem totem-mozilla totem-plugins totem-plugins-extra
You will notice that cinnamon and mint-meta-cinnamon will be removed. So after a system restart, you would not be able to get to the desktop (actually just the package cinnamon prevents that). To avoid that, after using the last command to install pcsx2, I added this command to reinstall cinnamon and mint-meta-cinnamon:

sudo apt install cinnamon mint-meta-cinnamon
That command also reinstalled most of the other packages that were removed but not these:
gir1.2-totem-1.0 gstreamer1.0-clutter libclutter-gst-2.0-0 libtotem0
mint-meta-codecs totem totem-mozilla totem-plugins totem-plugins-extra
After rebooting, everything seemed to be working correctly but the question is if those other removed packages are needed. You can open Synaptic and do a search for them. The description for the package mint-meta-codecs says it's “required for multimedia support in Linux Mint”. However, I was able to run a video in VLC and play music in Banshee without it and on another older Mint installation, it's not even installed. Totem is a media player for GNOME based on GStreamer, so that should not be needed if VLC is used. That eliminates 6 more of those packages. So that leaves only gstreamer1.0-clutter and libclutter-gst-2.0-0

EDITED: Installing the package mint-meta-codecs will also reinstall gstreamer1.0-clutter, libclutter-gst-2.0-0, totem, libtotem0, totem-mozilla, and totem-plugins-extra. That leaves only gir1.2-totem-1.0 and totem-plugins, and installing totem-plugins will reinstall both.

UPDATED - Installing PCSX2 in Mint 18 Cinnamon (for 32 or 64 bit systems):

Use this command in the Terminal:

When you click the PCSX2 button in the Menu for the first time, there may be a delay of 40 to 75 seconds before the program opens, depending on your hardware. On the PCSX2 Configuration Screen, Click “Next” and stop here. Open the File Manager and go to /home/your-user-name/.config/PCSX2

Add your Playstation 2 bios files to the bios folder. Then go back to the PCSX2 Configuration Screen.
Next to GS, click “Configure”. Next to Renderer, OpenGL (Hardware) should be selected.

Next to Pad, click “Configure”. Click the “Clear All” button. Then configure your controller buttons by pressing a button on the configuration screen and then the matching button on the controller.

Next to SPU2, click “Configure”. Under Interpolation, select Hermite. Under Module, select Port Audio. Under Port Audio API, select ALSA. Under SDL API, select alsa.

Click “Next”. The bios rom should be listed in the window. Select it and click “Finish”.

To start a game, click CDVD > Iso Selector > Browse and go to the location of the game.
Then click System > Boot CDVD (fast).

To pause a game, press ESC. To resume, click System > Resume. Or press F10, press the Down Arrow
until Resume is highlighted and press Enter.

EDITED:
If you experience excessive slowdown playing games, then try this. Open the Menu to Config > Video(GS) > Core GS Settings. Under Frame Skipping, select Constant Skipping.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”