Steam in wine

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

ignore this poll please

Poll ended at Tue May 27, 2014 7:43 pm

I will
No votes
i will
No votes

Total votes: 0

beautron7
Level 1
Level 1

Steam in wine

Post by beautron7 »

Hello people,
i am a long windows user and i have come to despise of microsoft (windows update, virusses playing ADS on my speaker) and i wanted to switch to mint. on my old post i realized that that would not work on y computer. so recently, i was building my own pc and i decided that i wolll run mint kde with a windows theme. however, most steam games dont run on linux because no developer wants to. IF i run steam in wine, will it lag too to much (specs below pc part picker) and also, how would i go about doing this

i searched the first three pages, so i assume this doesnt exist already

PCPartPicker part list
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($329.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ECS H61H2-I v1.1 Mini ITX LGA1155 Motherboard ($61.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 280X 3GB DirectCU II Video Card ($299.99 @
Other: Linux mint ($0.00)
WinterTroubles
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Steam in wine

Post by WinterTroubles »

I'm not a gamer (outside of console gaming at least) so can't answer the question of how well it'll run. I have, however, located these how to guides,http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =167409673 / http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =190249443, which you may find usefull :)
17.1Cinn/17.1Xfce

If solved please edit the subject line of your first post to include [Solved] so other users know there's a solution in the topic.

GNU Terry Pratchett
gemini89
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gemini89 »

Don´t get the Radeon card, get a Nvidia GPU instead.
Desktop: Intel i5 4670K, 16 GB, Geforce GTX 770, LM 17 Cinnamon
"Steambox": AMD FX-6100, 8 GB, Geforce GTX 650Ti, LM 13 Mate
Ultrabook: Acer Timeline U, Intel i3, 4 GB, Intel HD 3000, LM 17 Cinnamon
Mediacenter: Intel NUC, LM 17 XFCE
Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Booman »

beautron7 wrote:Hello people,
i am a long windows user and i have come to despise of microsoft (windows update, virusses playing ADS on my speaker) and i wanted to switch to mint. on my old post i realized that that would not work on y computer. so recently, i was building my own pc and i decided that i wolll run mint kde with a windows theme. however, most steam games dont run on linux because no developer wants to. IF i run steam in wine, will it lag too to much (specs below pc part picker) and also, how would i go about doing this

i searched the first three pages, so i assume this doesnt exist already
I am finding that a LOT of games run in PlayOnLinux. so many that I started doing step-by-step guides on how to install and run them.
This includes Steam games.
Check out this Steam guide
Obviously not ALL games are going to run... but its nice to see some of the big hits can run in PlayOnLinux and there are a lot of native Linux games in Steam that run.
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
PlayOnLinux GuidesTested Games List
fletcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fletcher »

Apologies for reviving this thread, but I have a similar question and did not really want to start a new thread.

I tried running steam in Mint 16 Cinnamon, because I want to play Civilization V on my own box. It did not work out well. Could not run DirectX 10/11, only 9. Screen looked all wrong, could not stand to look at it. Ran very sowly.

I have decided that I am going to have to do a VM with Windows 7. But I wonder how much space to give it. I currently have Mint 17 Cinnamon on a 20GB partition, but I have a lot of room on my HDD to expand my root partition. I do not want to get too cluttered, but I want plenty of room for my home partition.

So how big do people think I should allow Win7 be to run Steam for Civilization V. That is the only Steam game that I play.

At least until Steam finishes their own OS.
Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Booman »

Civilization V already runs in Linux without Wine. If you purchased it in Steam, then just download the Linux Steam and then download Civ
http://store.steampowered.com/app/8930/
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
fletcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fletcher »

I will give that a try. The last time I downloaded Steam for Linux, it told that Civ would not work. But I will check again tomorrow.

Thank you.

Will it matter if I have the disk for Civilization instead of the download, though? If so, I guess I could install it to my account on one of the Windows machines in the house, then on my own.
Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Booman »

Yes, that will matter because the Disk has the Windows version.
here is a trick...
If you already have the Windows Steam installed in PlayOnLinux or Wine and the whole game is downloaded, copy the game files to the Linux Steam.
Install Linux Steam first

1. Navigate to: /home/username/.PlayOnLinux/wineprefix/steam/drive_c/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common
2. Copy the Civilization V folder
3. Navigate to: /home/username/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/Common
4. Paste the Civilization V folder

Now open Linux Steam, go to Civilization, click Install, follow the steps, then wait for it to "Discover files" and update.
This should take a lot less time then downloading the entire game.
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
fletcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fletcher »

Thanks for the tips. What I did was install it on another machine that runs Win8 and then download it from Steam onto my computer.

Mostly works fine. But my screen and map are black. I cannot ee anything other than my units. Will try to throw up a screenshot so everyone can see what I mean.

I tried deleting the game and reinstalling, to no avail. Not sure what else to do. Other than that, it works great.

I will get into the Steam forums today and ask there, too. Hopefully there will be someone in there well versed in Linux and possible interaction problems.
Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Booman »

Are you using that Asus Radeon R9 280X card in your desktop?
I have read many many times about drivers causing issues in Linux for AMD cards.
Make sure you have the proprietary drivers installed:
1. Click Menu
2. Click Administration
3. Click Driver Manager (or Additional Drivers)
4. Select AMD Proprietary drivers (may be called FGLRX)
5. Mint will install the drivers for you
6. Restart and try Civ V again

If you are already using proprietary drivers, then they are causing some problems with your game.
You can try newer beta drivers or even older drivers, but it is not so easy to manually install them. specially if it doesn't work and you are stuck with a black screen.
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
fletcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fletcher »

Video card is a [AMD/ATI] RS880 [Radeon HD 4250].

But when I open additional drivers, it just says that there are no proprietary drivers in use on the system. Does not give me any options to install any.

I love Linux, but sometimes I feel like a complete noob, when I do not know how to get simple things installed.
Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Booman »

Yeah, I know the feeling. Most things work right out-of-the-box, but other things like drivers can be a headache.
Right now you are at a crossroad:
1. Learn how to manually install AMD drivers in order to get games running
2. Forget the drivers and just use Linux for internet and office needs.

It appears that the Radeon HD 4250 is a video chip on the motherboard. This is an "integrated" chip, which means its not going to be great at playing games.
I will play some, but not all of them at high resolutions and graphics on high.

If you have a desktop, you are in luck. One other thing you can do is purchase a GeForce video card (GeForce 750 Ti) and Mint will install the drivers for you and it will play pretty much anything.
Of course its going to cost money...
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
Mangar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mangar »

Booman wrote:Yeah, I know the feeling. Most things work right out-of-the-box, but other things like drivers can be a headache.
Right now you are at a crossroad:
1. Learn how to manually install AMD drivers in order to get games running
2. Forget the drivers and just use Linux for internet and office needs.

It appears that the Radeon HD 4250 is a video chip on the motherboard. This is an "integrated" chip, which means its not going to be great at playing games.
I will play some, but not all of them at high resolutions and graphics on high.

If you have a desktop, you are in luck. One other thing you can do is purchase a GeForce video card (GeForce 750 Ti) and Mint will install the drivers for you and it will play pretty much anything.
Of course its going to cost money...
Thanks Booman, that GeForce 750 Ti sounds like a fix for me, Low watt demand on an older Desktop also. But it gets ++++ points that it is Mint Friendly 8)
I ran Steam on an old HP for gaming, Steam install Skyrim the first day, I played for like 3 hrs and went to bed, Woke up the next day Steam connected and it started to perform Graphic updates to this and that, seen the updates scroller updateing my cards dll's on windows and then BOOM!!! ...Blue screen of death... M$ OS crash and would not reboot tried over and over, Yanked the card out and then booted up with out my Graphics cards? So so how steam killed my Graphics card Dlls, M$ would not remove the Device software stated it was corrupted? Long story short, Recovering a Linux OS is so much more easier than a M$ OS.
I hate putting Zombie PC together and having to piece every peice of hardware, search for each driver needed.

It would be great if Linux would list hardware that is friendly out of the box, like a database. Well I will be off to go buy a new Card this week!
Life after Windows! the future looks MINT!
completely new to Linux here is a quick overall for 1st timers Lingo curve http://www.linfo.org/newbies.html
Alternative applications to what Windows users do things http://www.linuxalt.com/
Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Booman »

Yup, heard many stories like that and experienced a few myself.

Please post your reports on that 750 Ti.
I would get one myself if I had the money.
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
Mangar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mangar »

Googled it https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... i&tbm=shop

Seems most at the moment are under $200 US dollars, But I will have to see which brand was he referring to in the above earlier in the post?

Bummer I was just told the GeForce 750 Ti s was kind of weak? Not sure what par the other game designer is setting but I ask him for what requirements to shoot for. Maybe the Linux gurus here can give an equivalent Graphics card that is detected by Mint so I can report the findings back to my members for a leg up to go MINT.
completely new to Linux here is a quick overall for 1st timers Lingo curve http://www.linfo.org/newbies.html
Alternative applications to what Windows users do things http://www.linuxalt.com/
Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Booman »

Weak? Compared to what? The newest $500-$1000 video cards?
Well yeah, but its probably twice as fast as my GeForce 550 Ti
I'm still using it now on my fastest machine and it can play almost anything.
Maybe not the highest settings, but most games play at 1680x1050 with most graphical settings on high.
So in comparison to that, The 750 Ti is a nice investment for a budget computer.
I can't afford those $500 video cards... I normally don't spend more than $700 for a new computer
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
Mangar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mangar »

@Booman I agree with you about it being good enough and it being very helpful as a budget card too. :D I myself am on a budget! I wish I had $500-1000 :roll: I am in the same boat.

I guess serves me right asking a game developer what he thinks and if it would get a good ballpark of that site members on XP to swing over too Mint and have an out plan ;)

To me I was asking if that card can suffice as a "side stepping stone" from Win to LM. I think they still compare everything to top shelf games in development :wink:

For me I think that card is better than no card, +plus LM sees it, +it is cheaper than a whole new rig loaded with stuff not wanted anyway. I have to test those previous game CD's with Wine and let some other people know in my group. Also they dev's have steam doing a release for its mid level games FOR Linux :D which is already very cool.

Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Booman »

Not a problem. Feel free to check out some of our PlayOnLinux guides: GamersOnLinux
I have been testing games in Mint for over a year now and have a lot of success.
I even finished a few like: Mirrors Edge, Portal 2, Magrunner & Hard Reset.
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
Mangar
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Mangar »

Thanks Booman, I am starting a LINUX forum area up on another site for our WIN game members and will share this site as a source to go get mint.
Kudos to you for taking the time to beta test them. I was beta testing my box of WIN PC games in WINE it was hit an miss.
Beta testing is tedious I did that for a year and a half bug tracking across two version of a game release.
I like your steam guide too ;)
Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Booman »

Awesome! I know your pain!
Some games totally refuse to work... usually because of DRM or they are DirectX 10 only games.
Its definitely tedious when it refuses to run.
I am happy to report that most games that support OpenGL or Direct X 9 run great.
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”