Will a better Graphics card improve (FPS) on Wine gaming?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Will a better Graphics card improve (FPS) on Wine gaming?

Post by apemanx »

Hi

I was testing games through Wine (and got asked this question) and I was wondering will a new or better graphics card improve the FPS through Wine gaming?
For example: Play Guild Wars 2 on Windows with everything on Best Appearance and get 40-50 FPS - do the same on Wine and it is always 20 FPS lower. - Now I know this is because of the Wine setup - and there are some performance reduction in playing or using 3D applications through Wine. I understand that.

Will a better graphics card really improve on the FPS - ON LINUX through Wine? - I know it will on windows. I suspect that the improvement will be negligible... Anyone know for sure?

Setup that matters currently is:
i5 Haswell - 4670K
16 Gb Corsair 1600 Mhz Ram
GTX 650 1Gb
Breaking and fixing is learning! This knowledge gained gives power. And power gives you freedom if used with wisdom!

Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Will a better Graphics card improve (FPS) on Wine gaming

Post by Booman »

For the most part, I would say "YES"
There is not guarantee of course, but performance through memory, bit interface and GPU makes all the difference.
Some games will refuse to run good because of drivers, libraries and Wine server.

I have tested over 100 games with my GeForce 550 Ti and almost all of them work and run really well in Mint.
Normally older games run fine either way, but an older card (legacy) will eventually no longer receive driver updates. so that is a risk if you decide to keep an older card.

My highest recommendation is to purchase an Nvidia card. Even if AMD cards are better in Windows, the Nvidia drivers have always seemed faster and less buggy in Linux.

Hope this helps
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4
PlayOnLinux GuidesTested Games List

DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Post by DrHu »

I don't think you can expect the same results for a windows OS game inside a linux OS system under wine mode
http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/dire ... there/9776
--the problem is really Direct X support, which Ms will use for games for their own versions..

Nevertheless, a lot of games do run
--you could get an idea by looking ath the Codeweavers croosover support for games, check their list
  • But remember that is a non-free commercial wine version, not the OSS wine that you can easily download or that is in the mint respositories
--they have a 14 day trial, if you want to test it..
https://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

https://www.codeweavers.com/products/
https://www.codeweavers.com/support/wiki/linux/faq

Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Booman »

I would never say the results are exactly the same, but most my game tests have proven Wine and PlayOnLinux can play a lot of PC games meant for Window$
I have been able to play newer games like Tomb Raider 2014, Assassin's Creed Revelations just fine. A lot of games have tiny bugs that can be annoying, but do not break the game. Wine never gives you 100% compatibility. My results are astonishing though... worth checking out.

Is there any specific games you are currently playing that are slow or buggy?
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4

apemanx
Level 2
Level 2

Post by apemanx »

Sorry for the late reply, I was away.

Thanks for the answers.

Yes there is one game I play from time to time that works really well but it is definitely not performing the same way as on Windows - actually the only real thing keeping the windows alive. That is Guild Wars 2.

Other than that (perhaps Company of Heroes 2) the games for Linux through steam is incredible. - I would even say that they run better. or with less crashes anyway.

Thanks
Breaking and fixing is learning! This knowledge gained gives power. And power gives you freedom if used with wisdom!

Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Booman »

A new video card may help with Guild Wars but there is no guarantee of course. But it is a great investment because it will help most game play faster and look better in Wine and Native.

It really depends on your existing card.
I have an Acer C710 Chromebook with an Intel HD 2000 video chip. It doesn't support any newer shader versions or OpenGL versions, so I'm stuck with mostly older games.

But my Desktop has an Nvidia 550 Ti (which is now an old card) and it rocks almost all games. As long as the DRM works for most games, I can play them.
Right now I'm playing Assassin's Creed Revelations in PlayOnLinux with Wine 1.7.26 and it Runs GREAT!
Click the link in my signature to see all the games I have tested successfully.
Booman
Mint 19 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.3.4

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”