What game(s) would you want to be natively support on Linux?

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Booman

Re: What game(s) would you want to be natively support on Li

Post by Booman »

Intel GPU drivers can be hit-or-miss with games in Wine.
Depends on which HD chip you have.
I've read the HD 4000 and newer are really good.

What version of Wine were you using?
morphias

Post by morphias »

Wine-1.7.34
Booman

Post by Booman »

ok good... just making sure you are using a current version.

Not a lot of information on WineHQs for Halo Combat Evolved
I would test it, but I don't have any Halo games
morphias

Post by morphias »

I wonder if installing the directx9 package would do anything... im also thinking about tinkering with the video rendering stuff and seeing if that changes anything.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Sure, I install d3dx9 for almost all games.
Romattman

Post by Romattman »

World of Tanks ...... playing thru PlayonLinux,( Windows verson), is very choppy to say the least.The game is now running on other patforms, X-Box and Playstation. Sure would be nice to have a full blown Linux version which I'm sure would blow tha others away .. :D
Booman

Post by Booman »

Agreed!
Since we are talking about MMO's

How about Neverwinter, Path of Exile and Age of Wushu
Marty B

Post by Marty B »

Tera Online
Rocksmith
Elder Scrolls Online
jetpackneedsrepair

Post by jetpackneedsrepair »

All of them. I'm starting to think the only reason Linux isn't more mainstream is the lack of multimedia support(in the sense that multimedia does not support Linux). Though if I had to pick a few titles:No.1. The upcoming Star Citizen. If they can own up to just 75% of what they promise that will be the god of games for space geeks like me.And pretty much in general too. And for now it seems it will come out for linux. No.2. Total War series No.3: The Elder Scrolls Series.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Do you mean Multi-Media as in movies, video editing, audio editing, 3D modelling and graphic design?
jetpackneedsrepair

Booman wrote:Do you mean Multi-Media as in movies, video editing, audio editing, 3D modelling and graphic design?
Yep.Graphic design, games, video editing, streaming services.And music production. I don't know how appropriate are they for professionals but Audacity and Blender are definitely more than good enough for me.
Booman

Post by Booman »

Maybe we should start another thread about what programs would you like to see in Linux?
Photoshop
Illustrator
InDesign
3DS Max
Maya
Lightroom
SketchUp
Pro Tools

Unity 3D
UDK

I could go on...
jetpackneedsrepair

Perhaps. There is certainly room for expanding the list of professional prop. software on Linux. Though it wouldn't make a difference :(
Booman

Post by Booman »

Probably not a huge difference. Most businesses are stuck in Windows
Training employees and slowing production to learn Linux wouldn't be great incentive to migrate to Linux
Specially when businesses get to "write off" purchases
morphias

Post by morphias »

The reason companies are "stuck" with Windows is because the alternatives for linux is not good enough. What would help is if companies started multi-platform support on their software instead of specifically writing for Mac or Windows-or just Windows. For companies in video game industry I can see where the software for Windows is all ready configured for the system so when someone presents linux - they are going to ask "can this run in Linux" . Someone says no and points out the alternatives for it but I know for a fact that 3Ds Max has more features than blender.

The only way for companies to even show intrest in writing their software for Linux is if companies like Red Hat and Canonical started to spend money in linux awareness. If there is no consumer demand, then there would be no demand to program it. I was just reading an article saying less than %1 of Linux is ran as a desktop environment. If that percentage was bigger, then there would finally be a need for it.
Booman

Post by Booman »

I agree with everything you wrote Morphias. Its difficult to make companies aware of other options when their proprietary programs/systems don't run on it.
I think gaming in Linux is starting to change that. Specially with Valve pushing Linux.

What is interesting is most web/database hosting companies have been using Linux servers for a long time.
Its no longer a question if Linux runs because they all use it. I wonder how Linux became so accepted as a standard platform for web/database hosting?

But you are absolutely right... if we start seeing support for big programs like 3DSMax, Autodesk, Adobe... Linux will get some REAL attention.

For me it all starts with games. I wouldn't know anything about computers if it wasn't for games. Once I started playing games on PC, I started learning about the hardware, operating system, accessories and productivity programs.
Artistisch

Re: What game(s) would you want to be natively support on Linux?

Post by Artistisch »

Wow, it's been three years since anybody touched this subject.

First and foremost, I would like Dragon Age series to be supported on Linux. I'm yet to see for myself whether any of their games run on Mint at all, so stay tuned for that lol. More broadly, in the same jest, I'd like the whole Origin platform to be supported on Linux. I'm also yet to discover whether it'll run fine on my laptop, but I already have everything prepared, so I'll check it all soon.

Second of all, The Elder Scrolls series, of course. My favourite part, Skyrim, has already failed to run on my machine. But I'll try again and will be more persistent this time with looking for the solution.

And third of all, Sims. I am not interested in trying to run Sims 3 when Sims 4 is out with so many DLCs at this point, and Sims 4 doesn't seem to work. And even though the game tells me what's the problem, it doesn't seem to get that I've already fixed it. Three times.

Apart from those, just one more: Pharaoh (I get weird bugs that I haven't seen anyone ever had and don't know how to come with solution on my own, but I don't know anybody who would be capable to help with that). The game works and runs pretty much perfectly, but it's more because of just one ridiculous bug I can't fix.

Return to “Gaming”