Steam on a new computer

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Steam on a new computer

Post by cecilieaux »

I bought a new computer with specs specifically designed to run Steam 8 GB of RAM, NVIDIA GTX 750 card, etc.

I downloaded Steam but I cannot get it to load and play the games in my library. Granted I haven't downloaded them and I can't figure out how.

My experience with Steam support is bad, whereas here it is good, so I am hoping someone can tell me what one routinely does when one gets a new computer and wants to use games that were authorized and purchased and the whole 9 yards.

I have a copy on my laptop. I assumed that one could use it across all one's personal computers at home. I think this is right.

Thanks in advance,
C
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" 64-bit

potato5
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Steam on a new computer

Post by potato5 »

Can you describe the problem exactly? Show error you get when trying to download a game?
https://unixgames.org - Q&A service (Linux, Mac and other UNIX-like OS).

Chiefahol
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Chiefahol »

Also let us know what graphics driver you are using, you can view this by opening 'Driver Manager' in the mint menu.
Donate to your favourite distros!

cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

potato5 wrote:Can you describe the problem exactly? Show error you get when trying to download a game?
I don't seem to be able to download a game at all.

cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

Chiefahol wrote:Also let us know what graphics driver you are using, you can view this by opening 'Driver Manager' in the mint menu.
nvidia-352.63-0ubuntu0.14.04.1

GreyGeek
Level 4
Level 4

Post by GreyGeek »

On a new Linux installation it is best to download the steam client and use it to connect to steam with your login in and password. Steam will notice that you are not using your previous computer and will require you to verify, usually by sending a code to your email account and asking you to enter the code on the client verification step. Then you can go to your game inventory and redownload the games there. Copying things over usually doesn't work well.

cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

GreyGeek wrote:On a new Linux installation it is best to download the steam client and use it to connect to steam with your login in and password. Steam will notice that you are not using your previous computer and will require you to verify, usually by sending a code to your email account and asking you to enter the code on the client verification step. Then you can go to your game inventory and redownload the games there. Copying things over usually doesn't work well.
Now this I did. I got sent a code and downloaded the client. But the client does nothing. It doesn't even asking me to log in. Just nothing. I click and nothing happens.

eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eatenimpinia »

cecilieaux wrote:...I got sent a code and downloaded the client. But the client does nothing. It doesn't even asking me to log in. Just nothing. I click and nothing happens.
The order of things bothers me. You should have installed the software first, and when signing in to that, Steam should have sent you a code to authorize the login. Where did you get the steam-launcher software? The safest source would be from Software Manager. Once it's installed and you sign in, I believe the Steam client updates itself to the latest version.

Or, are you trying to run the Windows version of Steam in a Wine or Crossover bottle?
Distro: (back to) Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit), Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8

cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

DaveLessnau wrote:
cecilieaux wrote:...I got sent a code and downloaded the client. But the client does nothing. It doesn't even asking me to log in. Just nothing. I click and nothing happens.
The order of things bothers me. You should have installed the software first, and when signing in to that, Steam should have sent you a code to authorize the login. Where did you get the steam-launcher software? The safest source would be from Software Manager. Once it's installed and you sign in, I believe the Steam client updates itself to the latest version.

Or, are you trying to run the Windows version of Steam in a Wine or Crossover bottle?
Ah, I left something out. I went to the website and downloaded the client from there (bad, bad, bad habit from my Windows days, I know). Maybe I should uninstall that client and install from the Software Manager?

cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

cecilieaux wrote:
DaveLessnau wrote:
The order of things bothers me. You should have installed the software first, and when signing in to that, Steam should have sent you a code to authorize the login.
Ah, I left something out. I went to the website and downloaded the client from there (bad, bad, bad habit from my Windows days, I know). Maybe I should uninstall that client and install from the Software Manager?
Weird, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling from the Software Manager. Now the menu shows Steam and a Steam Game I had on my old computer (probably from the /.config directory, I guess), Civilization V, which never ran in the old computer (old graphic card).

The funny thing is that I can run Steam and Civ V from my laptop.

cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

But Steam still doesn't work.

eatenimpinia
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eatenimpinia »

I'll grasp at a straw here and ask if you changed the filter for your game formats. In Steam, under the Library tab, right next to the Search bar at the top (and directly under the Library tab), it should be telling you the filter it's applying to your games library. If you hover over the Library tab, you can change that filter. Mine is set for "STEAMOS + LINUX". Is yours set to something else? It's possible that almost none of your games will run under Linux, so they won't show up with that filter.
Distro: (back to) Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa, Kernel: 4.4.0-51-generic x86_64 (64 bit), Desktop: Cinnamon 2.8.8

cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

DaveLessnau wrote:I'll grasp at a straw here and ask if you changed the filter for your game formats. In Steam, under the Library tab, right next to the Search bar at the top (and directly under the Library tab), it should be telling you the filter it's applying to your games library. If you hover over the Library tab, you can change that filter. Mine is set for "STEAMOS + LINUX". Is yours set to something else? It's possible that almost none of your games will run under Linux, so they won't show up with that filter.
How do I find that tab if the client won't start?

cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

I did one more thing. I went and deleted the existing .steam directory and uninstalled the client, then reinstalled it. I found a script in .steam called steam.sh and invoked it. It produced a 0 (zero) byte file crash.log that then deleted itself.

Very weird.

Also, the menu still links to /home/cecilio/.local/share/applications/Sid Meier's Civilization V.desktop. I assume this is a desktop link that goes nowhere. When I try the "uninstall" option it says it can't do it.

fletcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fletcher »

I am having the same problem. I installed 17.3 Cinnamon this morning, and immediately installed the Steam launcher from the software manager. Shows up fine in my menu, but nothing happens when I click on it. Nothing opens. Can sign in on the Steam web site, but cannot get the client to open.

Steam opened fine on my 17.2 installation, but would crash when I was playing Civilization V and I met someone. But that is another thread if the problem persists.

fletcher
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fletcher »

Hey, cecilieaux, I may have found a solution for you.

Went here, http://www.pcsteps.com/2628-install-ste ... untu-play/, and followed the instructions, including the first comment, and got Steam to open.

Came up fine, and I have my game installing now. Hopefully Civlization V will play without crashing this time.

But I would give the pcsteps instructions a try.

cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Post by cecilieaux »

fletcher wrote:Hey, cecilieaux, I may have found a solution for you.

Went here, http://www.pcsteps.com/2628-install-ste ... untu-play/, and followed the instructions, including the first comment, and got Steam to open.

Came up fine, and I have my game installing now. Hopefully Civlization V will play without crashing this time.

But I would give the pcsteps instructions a try.
OK, I tried it, finally. Nothing. I have the recommended driver reinstalled Steam, but Steam won't open.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”