your TOP games

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
foxtreat
Level 2
Level 2

your TOP games

Post by foxtreat » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:42 pm

quick topic about the top games:
Best FPS-cube 2 sauerbraten:fast paced,many gamemodes SUPERB graphics and great gameplay (multiplayer,singleplayer,campaign)i recomend insta ctf gamemode
Best RTS-Warzone 2100:a bit hard to learn,but great! custom vehicles,multiplayer and singleplayer+campaign!post apocaliptic rts
Best Racer-supertuxcart:like mariocart!good gameplay and fun to play alone aswell!i dont know about multiplayer but the campaign rocks!
Best Turn based strategy:Battle for wesnoth:a bit difficult at first but is pretty easy otherwise,great storyline and campaign+multiplayer gameplay is balanced,i couldnt forgive myself to not include this game which is worked on soo carefully!
best RPG+sandbox-MINECRAFT : althou payed it is a GREAT and poppular game,neverless it is completely crossplatform!just buy it from mojang's site and download the client(mint has integrated java openjdk)then play alone or with friends!there are plenty of minecraft videos out there and i reall sugest checking this creative game out if you havent alredy!
these are my top games(just a opinion) for linux(most are cross-platform aswell so you can play with your loosedox buddies(no offense but mint wins))
what are your top games?
Laptop 18.2,fanatic,Gaming,just a average highly hyped user

sphyrth
Level 4
Level 4

Re: your TOP games

Post by sphyrth » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:29 am

Open Arena
I'm still stuck in the Quake 3 Arena era. The items, the weapons, the physics, the maps, the gameplay, the config, and even the bots can't make me consider a rival for this FOSS FPS game. But I'll mention a few I love playing as well:
Urban Terror, Smokin' Guns, Enemy Territory Fortress, Xonotic, and Warsow.

0 A.D. and Warzone 2100
On the RTS side, I don't know why I'm into the both extremes:
Non-existent Time in the Past for 0. AD
Fictional Future for WZ2100

Super TuxKart and H-Craft Championship
My dinosaur of a graphics card can't support Super TuxKart anymore, but I know getting a new one is worth it. But I'll have to wait until it gets its LAN functionality plugged in.
H-Craft Championship is another great game if you know how to drive it well. Too bad, without multiplayer, it got too boring fast.
I've been waiting for that real Multiplayer racing game. If you have suggestions, please let me know.

Offworld
Ever since Sky Rogue went >$0.00, Offworld became my Air-combat Game. Pick a clan (only 2 to choose from as of now), then your choice of vehicle (Powerful and Heavy, the Fast Mosquito, and the Medium one). The graphics and the gameplay make this one my casual game of choice.

Step Mania
I broke my dance pad because of this, and I wouldn't mind buying another one for this keeper.

Hedgewars
"We are hogs, we fight for what is right!"
What's better than Worms Armageddon? An Open-source equivalent of it. Round hedgehogs are better than earthworms! This Turn-based Artillery game is really fun in multiplayer.

Tuxemon
Pokemon-clone? If this one gets to Beta stage, I might even consider it released already.

ChessX
Yeah, I know Xboard exists, but I went for an alternative. And this one finally has its own engine to play against.

I have a lot of games to list down, but I was only limited to my favorites.
I have a favorite game. It's on my Youtube Channel.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:00 am

My favorite games are C, Assembly, Python, Lisp, Awk, Pascal, and Ada.

Oh, and Emacs.

I used to play Fortran, but the fun wore off pretty quickly.

foxtreat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by foxtreat » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:29 am

sphyrth wrote:Open Arena
I'm still stuck in the Quake 3 Arena era. The items, the weapons, the physics, the maps, the gameplay, the config, and even the bots can't make me consider a rival for this FOSS FPS game. But I'll mention a few I love playing as well:
Urban Terror, Smokin' Guns, Enemy Territory Fortress, Xonotic, and Warsow.

0 A.D. and Warzone 2100
On the RTS side, I don't know why I'm into the both extremes:
Non-existent Time in the Past for 0. AD
Fictional Future for WZ2100

Super TuxKart and H-Craft Championship
My dinosaur of a graphics card can't support Super TuxKart anymore, but I know getting a new one is worth it. But I'll have to wait until it gets its LAN functionality plugged in.
H-Craft Championship is another great game if you know how to drive it well. Too bad, without multiplayer, it got too boring fast.
I've been waiting for that real Multiplayer racing game. If you have suggestions, please let me know.

Offworld
Ever since Sky Rogue went >$0.00, Offworld became my Air-combat Game. Pick a clan (only 2 to choose from as of now), then your choice of vehicle (Powerful and Heavy, the Fast Mosquito, and the Medium one). The graphics and the gameplay make this one my casual game of choice.

Step Mania
I broke my dance pad because of this, and I wouldn't mind buying another one for this keeper.

Hedgewars
"We are hogs, we fight for what is right!"
What's better than Worms Armageddon? An Open-source equivalent of it. Round hedgehogs are better than earthworms! This Turn-based Artillery game is really fun in multiplayer.

Tuxemon
Pokemon-clone? If this one gets to Beta stage, I might even consider it released already.

ChessX
Yeah, I know Xboard exists, but I went for an alternative. And this one finally has its own engine to play against.

I have a lot of games to list down, but I was only limited to my favorites.
GREAT post! i tried hedgewars and it is great,and except tuxracer and cart there really arent great racers,more so multiplayer
but with steam and more popularity of linux after win10 got released games are on the rise

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:56 am

LinuxJim wrote:My favorite games are C, Assembly, Python, Lisp, Awk, Pascal, and Ada.

Oh, and Emacs.

I forgot to add - eight years of my career were in the gaming industry . So for me, games are like work, and programming is the real game. :)

foxtreat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by foxtreat » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:27 am

LinuxJim wrote:
LinuxJim wrote:My favorite games are C, Assembly, Python, Lisp, Awk, Pascal, and Ada.

Oh, and Emacs.

I forgot to add - eight years of my career were in the gaming industry . So for me, games are like work, and programming is the real game. :)
well this isnt exactly a on topic post,as by games i mean games that you play,
have you tried any actual games?if yes which ones and did you like them?
a good game for linux(browser game,flash based) is armor mayhem,a 2d space shooter which got me hooked up twice!

Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:59 am

I'm playing Wesnoth currently. Good game, although some scenarios are stupidly difficult. Can't play games from Steam because no OpenGL 2.
Can't see a point in bragging about programming languages here.

LinuxJim
Level 5
Level 5

Post by LinuxJim » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:36 pm

foxtreat wrote:well this isnt exactly a on topic post,as by games i mean games that you play,
a good game for linux(browser game,flash based) is armor mayhem,a 2d space shooter which got me hooked up twice!
No, I don't do flash and I don't do browser games.

I'll play a game of chess or cribbage once in a while, or fire up a pinball simulator once a year or so.

I got 'hooked' on Galaxian for a few months in the '80s - until I discovered a strategy that allowed me to win every time.

The only modern game that interests me is Minecraft (I was a Lego kid). But I don't treat it like a game - more of a creative sandbox to play in. ;)

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:01 pm

LinuxJim wrote:
foxtreat wrote:well this isnt exactly a on topic post,as by games i mean games that you play,
No, I don't do flash and I don't do browser games.

I'll play a game of chess or cribbage once in a while, or fire up a pinball simulator once a year or so.

I got 'hooked' on Galaxian for a few months in the '80s - until I discovered a strategy that allowed me to win every time.

The only modern game that interests me is Minecraft (I was a Lego kid). But I don't treat it like a game - more of a creative sandbox to play in. ;)
+1 for chess and minecraft. I play chess in my browser on chess.com. Minecraft actually runs better on Linux Mint than it does on Windows 10, where it crashes all the time.

I love Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup - Tiles Version. It supports all the big OSes and you can play online, too, with just a browser!

Also, Wesnoth is always fun to play. They are experiencing a crisis now due to lack of programmers, and the future of that venerable game may even be in peril, so LinuxJim, if you want to jump in, you would be loved and appreciated.

I should add that none of the above games require much in hardware. CPU speed or video cards just ain't in it. They do require a lot in brain power, though!
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:04 am

I play Minecraft on Linux,too, because I have only 4 GB of RAM and Windows system takes at least 40%-50% of it initially, so I can't play modded Minecraft without latency and freezes. But it does need a dedicated graphics card and my computer is "all-in-one".

d00med
Level 4
Level 4

Post by d00med » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:20 am

Gunscape is a nice little time waster. You can quickly jump into someone else's co-op game.

Legends of Yore is another nice one.

amethyst_igor
Level 3
Level 3

Post by amethyst_igor » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:59 am

Alexiy wrote:I play Minecraft on Linux,too, because I have only 4 GB of RAM and Windows system takes at least 40%-50% of it initially, so I can't play modded Minecraft without latency and freezes. But it does need a dedicated graphics card and my computer is "all-in-one".
I don't have a dedicated graphics card. Just Intel Haswell i3 with HD 4000 graphics, if I recall correctly. Minecraft plays like a champ in Linux. I play on a friend's Minecraft server. I find that old games are just as fun as new ones and tend to be free or very low-cost. And my "budget" machines have no problems with them.
I run both Windows 10 and Linux Mint 18 in dual boot with two SSDs and have other rigs running various versions of Linux. My blog.

Jaydemir
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Jaydemir » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:30 am

Shooter/RPG - Borderlands 2 (steam)
Shooter - Nexuiz (apt-get)
MMORPG - Ryzom (.sh download)

reddot
Level 4
Level 4

Post by reddot » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:14 pm

Total Annihilation
Counter Strike Source
Rainbox Six Raven Shield

majpooper
Level 5
Level 5

Post by majpooper » Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:00 pm

I used to play basketball but my knees can't take the pounding anymore - my favorite game to watch is Baseball and NFL football. After being assigned to Germany many moons ago I kinda got into soccer (they call it football which is confusing to Americans).

barney384
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barney384 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:05 pm

Yeah, Football Manager is pretty much my favorite game now. I purchased the game for the first time years ago, thinking it was an "American Football" game.

:lol:

Pjotr
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Pjotr » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:52 pm

Chess on www.chess.com
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

pacho37
Level 3
Level 3

Post by pacho37 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 5:19 pm

Apart from all of the options mentioned above I also play around with the mame emulator. Maybe it's about nostalgia and not that interesting for younger people, but i sometimes get teary-eyed remembering all those hours/quarters spent playing 1942, Street Fighter 2 or Truxton 1/2.
Some of the more recent games are also playable on mame, including my favourite bullet hell shmups from Cave - Dodonpachi, Ketsui, Mushihimesama etc. Lots of fun but, one thing that has to be said: playing most of those games is, strictly speaking, illegal, unless you actually own them. Not that Linux Mint Forum will be accused of promoting piracy or copyright infringement. ;-)
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon 64 Bit

Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:43 am

pacho37 wrote:Apart from all of the options mentioned above I also play around with the mame emulator. Maybe it's about nostalgia and not that interesting for younger people, but i sometimes get teary-eyed remembering all those hours/quarters spent playing 1942, Street Fighter 2 or Truxton 1/2.
Some of the more recent games are also playable on mame, including my favourite bullet hell shmups from Cave - Dodonpachi, Ketsui, Mushihimesama etc. Lots of fun but, one thing that has to be said: playing most of those games is, strictly speaking, illegal, unless you actually own them. Not that Linux Mint Forum will be accused of promoting piracy or copyright infringement. ;-)
Only games that I bought last years is Minecraft and Terraria. Others downloaded, mostly from torrents. Not only because I have no much money, but to test whether it performs well. I haven't also paid for Windows - they don't deserve it :D .

Portreve
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Portreve » Tue May 10, 2016 3:40 pm

Too many issues with motion sickness for me to play any immersive 3D title. I can barely handle being a passenger in a car if I have to sit in the back seat. Bonine works, but I don't feel like popping pills just to play a video game.

So for me, top view games (Canyon Defense) side-scroll (Chromium BSU), and table games are best.
I have to leave so I can get home by the time I arrive.

Presently rocking LinuxMint 19.1 Cinnamon.

Remember to mark your fixed problem [SOLVED].

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”