Steam won't support Linux Mint

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
cecilieaux
Level 5
Level 5

Steam won't support Linux Mint

Post by cecilieaux »

I just got this reply from Steam:
Hello Cecilieaux,

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

We apologize for the delay.

Steam for Linux is currently only supported on Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 with Unity, Gnome, or KDE desktops.

If you are running another distribution of Linux, we will not be able to provide support. We recommend you install Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 for the best Steam experience on Linux.

For more information on this please visit the following link: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Valve

If you wish to attempt to run Steam on a different distribution, it's best that you use Github to discuss them with our developers and other Linux users.

You can create a free Github account here:
https://github.com/signup/free

Once signed up and logged in you can visit our Github here and post your questions directly to the Linux Community and our developers:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware

If you have any further questions, please let us know - we will be happy to assist you.
Every time I think I'm past newbiedom something like this happens.
Linux Mint 19.3 "Tricia" 64-bit

linuxfreak

Re: Steam won't support Linux Mint

Post by linuxfreak »

There are enough Mint users who got Steam running on their system without any problem. My best guess is that they only provide support for the mentioned distro's.

gary.zw
Level 4
Level 4

Post by gary.zw »

I downloaded the .deb from the Stream website installed it with gdebi--no problems at all
Linux Mint 18.1 Cinnamon Edition 64-bit.
Intel Core i5-3570K CPU Clock Speeds: 1: 1645.679 MHz 2: 2296.992 MHz 3: 1642.093 MHz 4: 1604.375 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GK104 GeForce GTX 660 Ti

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Steam works on most Linux distros out of the box. It does on Linux Mint 17.x. Valve permits repackaging so for many distros you can find it for easy installation from a software repository for that distro.

Ubuntu 12.04 is what Linux Mint 13 is based on, and fully compatible with. Ubuntu 12.10 is long obsolete and unsupported; Valve should no longer be mentioning it as using it is not safe to use online (due to all the known security issues that will never be fixed).

If you want support from Valve with issues, you have to use Ubuntu 12.04. But community support is there and most often seems to help people solve things.

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

As mentioned many Mint users run steam on limt 17.x.

I wouldn't be concerned that they only officially support Ubuntu since Mint is ubuntu based except for LMDE. But I might be a little concerned that they only support up to 12.10 ...

The big issue for me with steam on linux is that most steam games don't run on windows at all, and the ones that do often aren't optimized for linux so they don't run nearly as well as the windows equivalent.

barney384
Level 1
Level 1

Post by barney384 »

I switched from Ubuntu to Linux Mint a while back. I use Steam with no problem on LM 17.2. In fact, I've had no game crashes since Steam came out for Ubuntu, unlike Windows. Yes, I use to have to dual-boot, but, thanks to Steam porting, I no longer have a dual-boot system.

My understanding is - there are conflicts created when you install PlayOnLinux or when you install Wine.

I haven't installed either, and so far Steam, and Steam games for Linux have all worked very well for me.

Anyhow, I hope you have as much luck as myself in the future.

PublicLewdness
Level 1
Level 1

Post by PublicLewdness »

They may not officially support it but it works without issue for me. I simply install it from Software Manager.
AMD FX-9590 | Corsair H100 | 16GB DDR3-2133 CL9 | MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB | Samsung Evo 250GB | Linux Mint 17.3 64

vwdriver
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vwdriver »

I installed play on linux and downloaded steam and league of legends. Lol works fine but on steam I have not been able to play "just cause 3" (it says new version of windows required) but I can play "skyrim" and "fallout vegas" on steam.
Linux Mint 64bit, Release 17.1 64-bit
Ram 15.6Gib, Processor AMD Six-Core Processor
Storage 500Gib
Graphics card-GeForce GTX 970, 256bit, 4Gib ram

reddot

Post by reddot »

mmm what sort of problems are you experiencing ??? ever since CS1.6 was ported to linux ive never ever had a problem with steam on linux... there are some annoying things about steam like forcing you to use two step security? you know adding a cell number... cant be disabled last time i visited the store.

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”