mame and roms

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
eugeniotgn

mame and roms

Post by eugeniotgn »

Hi, i have installed mame with software center (mint 17.3), is versión 1.52.
I try a lot of roms,. but 99% don´t work, error :
the selected game is missing one or more required rom or chd images

i tried put "neogeo.zip" bios in rom folder, but don´t work... how can i download roms for this versión of mame? or solution for download roms from coolrom (for example)

thanks
pacho37

Re: mame and roms

Post by pacho37 »

hello eugeniotgn

Roms for specific mame versions are often hit and miss. I myself keep several versions of the emulator (including one or two windows versions runnable through wine) to get most of the games to function. I found that roms from romhustler.net run most of the time, including neo geo titles and many newer titles (on mame 0.154)

You can also check if there is a newer version of mame available through synaptic, rather than through software manager (on Ubuntu the latest version is 0.160, on mamedev.org they already have 0.172 available).

cheers
eugeniotgn

Post by eugeniotgn »

thanks, the best for run mame and roms that i found, is download emulator mame and roms from the same web (emuparadise), is Windows versión, and use wine :evil:

now, i can play superpang, final fight... with Xbox controller Wireless in 42"tv

One thing, i must configure "mirror screen" for that, with extended monitor mame open in laptop monitor, if i change tv as primary, mint crash ,
Deep_Thought
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Deep_Thought »

Hello.
You can ad the sdlmame4ubuntu ppa: http://sdlmame.wallyweek.org/ to get mame 0.164, which has Mess included.
If you feel adventurous you can compile the newest mame yourself from sourcecode, but that's challenging, as Mint's gcc compiler is too old, (4.8, and it needs to be 4.9).
Make sure Mame knows where to find your roms, add the path in the mame.ini
Also make sure you have all the necessary roms, some roms are clones, and they need their parents.
CHD images are harddrive images which need to be downloaded separately, and placed in your rom folder.
Some games also need bios files, they should also be in your search path.
I have set up an arcade cabinet with Mame, Daphne, and a lot of other emulators with Linux Mint Xfce as backend, it's a lot of fun.
My arcade cab running Linux Mint Xfce: https://goo.gl/photos/yE1KACHryQjCaaCj7
Based on a core 2 duo e8400 (@3.6 Ghz) with Mame, Daphne (the laserdisk emulator) and lots of others.
RacerX

Post by RacerX »

I installed Mame from the Software Manager, and copied my roms into file system/usr/share/mame/games/roms. Once in the roms folder, right click and select Open as Root, authenticate user password, and then paste all selected zipped rom files copied from your source folder. All the roms I've tried worked well, no failures or issues to date.

Return to “Gaming”