Fun With Doom 2 and GZDoom

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
d00med

Fun With Doom 2 and GZDoom

Post by d00med »

There's some great things happening with this old game and it's amazing that talented map makers are still using the engine.

Get GZDoom
or

Code: Select all

sudo apt-add-repository 'deb http://debian.drdteam.org/ stable multiverse'
wget -O - http://debian.drdteam.org/drdteam.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gzdoom
You'll need the commercial wad file for Doom 2.

Doom high-res texture pack
Alternate soundtrack
Brutal Doom
Doom 4 for Doom - Doom 4 weapons on Doom 1 and 2
Hunter's Moon - Quake 3 for Doom 2

Find some good wads to play
http://www.doomworld.com/10years/bestwads
http://www.best-ever.org/wads

Put all wads and pk3s into ~/.config/gzdoom. Then you'll need to edit ~/.config/gzdoom/zdoom.ini to load them:
Go to the "[Global.Autoload]" section in zdoom.ini and add the path to your mods. For example:

[Doom2.Autoload]
Path=brutalv018a.pk3
Path=DoomMetalVol3.wad
An amazing upcoming mod is Total Chaos:

Image Image
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sphyrth

Re: Fun With Doom 2 and GZDoom

Post by sphyrth »

Does Total Chaos support vertical aiming? I mean that would be one great change in game mechanic that I happen to like.
d00med

Post by d00med »

sphyrth wrote:Does Total Chaos support vertical aiming? I mean that would be one great change in game mechanic that I happen to like.
You mean mouse freelook? All of the source ports support it, including GZDoom, so Total Chaos will as well.
AmericanPi

Post by AmericanPi »

-
-Hey Ya'll
-

So i ran all the code above to add the repo, get the key, update, and install gzdoom
_but...theres no gzdoom location in my .config directory.
__I can

cd ~/.config
but can't

cd ~/.config/gzdoom
my baby says

bash: cd: /home/americanpi/.config/gzdoom: No such file or directory
I have a freedom.wad and a brutalv20b.pk3(Brutal Doom), in fact i have the Hell On Earth Starter Pack, in case you wanted to check that out.

I was over here trying to figure this out viewtopic.php?f=225&t=238628&p=1272049#p1272049 before i was directed here.

You help AmericanPi :?: :?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Did you run gzdoom? You may have to run it once to create that directory. There's nothing magical about the directory so you may create it yourself as well. Assuming this is still where gzdoom finds its files that should work.
AmericanPi

Post by AmericanPi »

-
- update :D
-

So....after installing a library (tx WharfRat) I'm able to run the command

gzdoom -iwad freedom.wad -file brutalv20b.pk3 -file ExtraTextures.wad -file hellonearthstarterpack.pk3
My CLI tells me it can't find a doom wad and to
1) put stuff in the ~/.config/gzdoom folder
or
2)edit the .ini file to add the directories of my choice.

I'm gonna go with the second one, but I don't know how to add the directories.
Problem is i also want to add mods like ExtraTextures and stuff so...
_any idea how to do that :?:

There is this fix

WHat are your thoughts on adding those directories though?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "d00med",

Thanks for the information.

That is interesting that there are two posts on the "Doom" games.

[RESOLVED]Am i missing a library?
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=238783&p=1273283#p1273283

Here is what I posted in that:
You do know that there are various "Doom" game options available in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) on your Linux Mint machine including those that allow you to install (or create and modify) "doom.wad" game files? Search for "Doom" in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM): "Doomsday", "Dhewm3", doom-wad-shareware, chocolate-doom, "freedoom", etc...
Have a great day everyone...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
AmericanPi

Post by AmericanPi »

-
- Hey Ya'll
-

So I got my Brutal Doom game situation situated. Thanks to Xenopeek for some direction and starting this thread.
Here are the steps I took for getting my Brutal Doom situation situated
1) Download the Hell On Earth Starter Pack here. Navigate to the "files" section to find the download.
_the starter pack comes with everything you need to play including a free version of doom and some extra goodies :)
_it comes with FreeDoom which is fan-made version of doom you can downloaded for free even if you don't have a commercial version of it.

2) You do need to go into a file and change some code. But its copy and paste so don't worry.
_open the brutalv20.pk3 file (i just double clicked it) and find this bit of code

{
Spawn:
  BPDL A 1
  TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItem ("DripingBloodLeavesSmallPool")
  TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItem ("CeilBloodTinyBloodSpawner")
  BPDL AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 2 ThrustThingZ(0,300,0,1)
   BPDL AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 2 ThrustThingZ(0,300,0,1)
  BPDL AAAAAAAAA 1 A_FadeOut(0.l)
  stop
    }
}
actor CeilBloodSpotLarge: CeilBloodSpot
{
states
{
Spawn:
Goto Crash
Death:
Crash:
  BPDL A 1
  TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItem ("CeilBloodLargeBloodSpawner")
  BPDL AAAAAAAAA 1 A_FadeOut(0.l)
  stop
	Splash:
        BLOD A 0
        stop
    }
}
-and replace it with this-

{
Spawn:
  BPDL A 1
  TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItem ("CeilBloodTinyBloodSpawner")
  BPDL AAAAAAAAA 1 A_FadeOut(0.01)
  stop
    }
}
actor CeilBloodSpotLarge: CeilBloodSpot
{
states
{
Spawn:
Goto Crash
Death:
Crash:
  BPDL A 1
  TNT1 A 0 A_SpawnItem ("CeilBloodLargeBloodSpawner")
  BPDL AAAAAAAAA 1 A_FadeOut(0.03)
  stop
    Splash:
       BLOD A 0
       stop
    }
}
_if you don't change this code you'll get a error like "looked for ',' but found 'l'."
__credit to SHANESTRIFE for this fix.

3) *almost there* Go to the directory created when you unpacked the starter pack. For me it was

~/Downloads/Brutal_Doom_-_Hell_on_Earth_Starter_Pack
4) *last step* In the directory you cd'd into launch the game and the mods by using the format

gzdoom iwad NameOfWad.wad -file NameOfMod.pk3/wad
The command I use for example is:

gzdoom -iwad freedom.wad -file ExtraTextures.wad -file hellonearthstarterpack.wad
_credit to GhostSquad57 for the launch command.

Xenopeeks install procedure in the beginning of this thread def works (*not you might need to download some libraries*). You'll need to run gzdoom with the

gzdoom
command before the .config/gzdoom foldder will be created. Then you just drop your .wad in there. I just did all this to play Brutal Doom.

Hope this helps someone trying to run Brutal Doom :!:
Cheers
d00med

Post by d00med »

Return to “Gaming”