Ghost Version of Wine + Battle.net - Legion

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Ryjax

Ghost Version of Wine + Battle.net - Legion

Post by Ryjax »

Hey folks.

I seem to have a two-prong problem and I'm not familiar enough with Linux to solve them myself; Looking for some guidance.

I'm working with a fresh-ish install of Mint 17.3 and have been trying to get Battle.net to work through Wine, for the better half of today. Somewhere along the way, I believe there is a ghost-installation of Wine. After uninstalling all the wine packages in the Synaptics Package Manager, I can still run 'winecfg'; and 'wine --version' returns 1.9.9 in the terminal. So, I then install Wine 1.8.3, run winecfg, and in the about tab it still shows 1.9.9. No matter what I've tried, I still seem to have a problem with multiple and/or corrupt versions of wine. I believe there is a corrupt version still installed.

I'm hoping this is somewhat simple and someone here knows what is happening, so I don't waste another few hours.

a) What steps do I need to take to remove this "ghost" wine version and be sure wine is fully removed.
b) Then when I do a proper reinstall of Wine (1.8.3 or 1.9.16 doesn't matter to me, I just want it to work with Battle.net), I want to be sure I'm doing that correctly.
c) Hopefully after those two items are done, I can get battle.net working. If not,
d) Get Battle.net working.

:P

Thanks boys
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
OunceofCommonSense
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Ghost Version of Wine + Battle.net - Legion

Post by OunceofCommonSense »

Is there a .wine folder in your home folder?

purge command should remove wine

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge wine
MB: Gigabyte model: B650M AORUS ELITE AX Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 32.00 GB. CPU Ryzen7600x Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Linux Mint 21.2
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Also check if there are any wine packages installed on your system:

Code: Select all

dpkg -l | grep wine
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Ryjax

Post by Ryjax »

Sorry boys,

I really wanted to troubleshoot this instead of fresh install. About an hour after creating this thread my entire system froze; couldn't terminal or xkill. After a hard-reset I was taken to the login screen and a message similar to "The display server failed to start about 6 times . . . will try again in 2 minutes."

I was able to ctrl-alt-f2 into terminal. I attempted multiple fixes I found on the forums with MDM, X-org server, etc. None of the fixes worked. I then tried to install another desktop environment (Ubuntu 14.04) and funny enough I was able to login to the Ubuntu desktop at next reboot. Made me laugh.

At that point though, I was pretty upset with all the problems, and I fresh installed 17.3. I'll install Wine and attempt to get Battle.net working today.

Thanks
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

No worries mate. Hopefully you'll get it working this time. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sarge816 »

I just tried reinstalling the game for my wife, since the new Legion expansion is about to hit. This tutorial helped me immensely:

http://www.gamersonlinux.com/forum/thre ... uide.1688/

Using those instructions I was able to get Battlenet running in a 1024x768 window and install the game. I used Playonlinux to install the latest Wine available at the time, Wine 1.9.17-staging.

Unfortunately, the game runs like total crap on our office computer (about 6FPS) and there is no keyboard control at all. Mouse works fine. Using Mint 17.3 with AMD A6-6400k (3.9GHz dual-core with onboard Radeon HD-8470D video) fglrx. Graphics are running at 800 core, 1066 memory with 768MB vram. Runs so bad at 1024x768 it looks like a slide show. For reference, in Windows 7 the previous expansion (WoD) ran at 60FPS (vsync) with 4x FSAA and all settings at "Fair" in HD (1920x1080), exact same setup. Without keyboard input (no idea confused is wrong there) the game is totally unplayable anyways. I'm hoping improvements will help performance but with AMD I'm not holding my breath.

Trying to talk her out of playing, just not worth the trouble and headache of reinstalling windows for a dual-boot. Especially for just one game.

Edit: Fixed keyboard issues, more experimentation shows 30-40fps out in world zones. Get into a main city with many players in it drops into single digits.

Return to “Gaming”