Minecraft Private Server

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Zeddrich
Level 2
Level 2

Minecraft Private Server

Post by Zeddrich »

My brother and I have been toying around with the idea of setting up our own private server for minecraft. Does anyone know if this is possible to patch/hack the game and run your own private server? I was just wondering if this is something someone has tried, and/or had issues with? Just how possible is it?

MintBean
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Minecraft Private Server

Post by MintBean »

No need to patch anything, you just need a spare PC to play server. I've done it with Minecraft from the repos and Canarymod, which is a free Minecraft server software which allows you to do a lot of extra stuff with plugins.
https://canarymod.net/

I suspect you could run the server on the same machine you're playing on, but I haven't tried it.

Alexiy
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alexiy »

You can refer to this thread viewtopic.php?f=47&t=220162

Zeddrich
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Zeddrich »

Well, I guess that answers that question. Thanks for the resources; I'll definitely look into it more.

nanners
Level 2
Level 2

Post by nanners »

Wanted to chime in here for OP or future readers:

Try setting up media and/or game servers using virtualization, like VirtualBox or Qemu. This is how I run my OpenMedia Vault home NAS. Super easy to do and as long as your PC was made in the last few years it's barely noticeable on resources and you can devote as much RAM to it as you want. Media NAS type servers don't need much CPU, but game servers might. For that, if you use a newer CPU made in the last four years or so, you can setup KVM virtualization and it's essentially like it's on its own machine. KVM is (I think) the lowest level emulation available to mortals and non-pros. At least it's the lowest level you'll need at home. I can set it up to use 12 CPUs in VirtualBox if I desired to, 8GB RAM, etc. 12 is a bit much, but I have set aside 6 virtual processors with it for a VM. "Fast" is a good way to describe it.

For more information on VMs and such, check the forums here or open up your Mint Software Center and grab VirtualBox. Better yet, get the latest version from the Oracle PPA and it does away with the need for dkms modules! Check the Oracle VB site for that, or some of my previous posts on it. Have fun!
› Gaming on Linux? It's possible!
Image[url=steam://friends/add/76561198017756928]Image[/url]

ephraimshofar

Post by ephraimshofar »

Just so you know, speaking of servers, MINECRAFT REALMS also works on Mint! My children use it daily.

willieaames
Level 1
Level 1

Post by willieaames »

I am considering having a small minecraft private server (5-6 people) hosted online but i can't decide on what hosting service to use?

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”