Civilisation VI coming to Linux

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MintBean

Civilisation VI coming to Linux

Post by MintBean »

Civ VI is brought to you by the animal 'Tux' and the foodstuff 'cookies.'
http://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi ... amos-linux

This is a lesson to make some noise to developers if you want to see more Linux ports. I'm not much of a gamer these days, but we will all benefit from better driver support as gaming increases on the platform.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Civilisation VI coming to Linux

Post by eu2 »

I'm not looking forward to this at all.

It's going to be lacking at first and then eventually a ridiculous time drain..

On the plus side though it's a great excuse to upgrade pc hardware.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

^^ Kinda wondering if there is a reason you still frequent these forums rather than nuking India?

https://lowrey.me/civilization-vi-quotes/
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

Sid once stated his AI does not cheat. He is correct. When difficulty is placed to diety, AI gets different rules. Which is not cheating. Witnessed this on Civ 3 and 4.
darsh

Post by darsh »

Empire: Total War had unbearable AI turn times on Windows for me, but the Linux version was quick and actually playable. I installed Civilization VI the other day on Linux Mint 18.2 KDE (32 if not 64 bit) and it gave me an error and wouldn't load, about to try it on Linux Mint 18.3 Cinnamon 64-bit now.

The game (C6) loads a little slower than I like on my Windows 10 PC and so alike ETW I'm going to figure that it'll be more pleasant this way, which seems to be true with the exception of rare cases where the hardware is to blame rather than the OS and/or game version's coding.

Steam and multiple games (growingly so) working on Linux has been a significant part of my switching from Windows to Linux.

At any rate, I'll edit my comment here and say if it worked and was quicker but still the same, or not.

EDIT (a number of days later): Still no luck for me with getting Civ6 to work. The unrecoverable error persists through versions. My specs aren't that bad, it's only a few year old computer with dual core 2.4 ghz i3 cpu and 8 gb ram but probably a low mb/mhz gpu. If that is the case, the alternative possible fix to the libgl1 update that crashed my OS when I tried it, long story, is some tactic to trick C6 into thinking my specs meet the requirement. Perhaps I'll take a gamble on that next.
Last edited by darsh on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Citizen229

Post by Citizen229 »

The Civ series has always been a CPU hog on turn processing. I looked up the system specs for Civ6. Both my rigs are 4 core 4 thread. I do not think either will process the game very well. The video card specs are just as hungry.
uberdorf

Post by uberdorf »

Steam's minimum specs for Linux on Civ VI is a bit high. It works fine on my dual core computers that are over 3 GHz when I have 8 GB of RAM installed. Both use a NVIDIA GT 710 or higher graphics card. After I had to reduce my RAM to 4 GB on an Intel dual core 3.2 GHz CPU with the GT 710, I had to disable the animated movements for units to make it playable.

I have also played Civ VI on an Athlon 64 5000+ (dual core 2.6 GHz) with a GT 710 and 4 GB RAM, but the animations have to be turned off.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

I hate my life ;-)

Just finished my first game as the Bruce (R&F)..

Spent the best part of the long weekend doing it.

Apparently I only rate as Abe Lincoln (whoever that was (jk)).

My first meet was with Victoria and I savoured dismantling her which had nothing to do with playing as Scotland.

It did get a little laggy towards the end and if I never hear bagpipes again I'd be ok with that.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

Just a heads up if you find that civ5 or civ6 wont run that it could be because of the current steam beta:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/d ... 7556973968
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

That sounds nice, I will look forward to it arriving. Although I still play the heck out of Civ V.
eu2
Level 3
Level 3

Post by eu2 »

MurphCID wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:26 am That sounds nice, I will look forward to it arriving. Although I still play the heck out of Civ V.
Hi MurphCID,
Civ6 has been around for linux for over a year (Feb 2017)
The rise and fall expansion came out a little bit longer than we wanted compared to windows.
Also cross platform multiplayer with windows still doesn't work for us (or mac).
darsh

Post by darsh »

To follow up on my previous post here:

Civilization VI works great on my newer laptop with Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 64-bit!

It wasn't 18.3 that was the issue, as to why I couldn't load Civ6 before, it was my previous laptop. Which also didn't run it on 19.

It works well! Civ6 via Steam on Mint 16. Using an HP Pavilion B2 this this time, was on an HP Notebook 2000 before.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

eu2 wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:21 pm
MurphCID wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:26 am That sounds nice, I will look forward to it arriving. Although I still play the heck out of Civ V.
Hi MurphCID,
Civ6 has been around for linux for over a year (Feb 2017)
The rise and fall expansion came out a little bit longer than we wanted compared to windows.
Also cross platform multiplayer with windows still doesn't work for us (or mac).
Thanks, I did not know that it worked on Linux. I really don't game much on my linux machine since it only has laptop graphics, it will have to wait until I get an Oryx Pro.

Return to “Gaming”