Diablo on Mint

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jadesword

Diablo on Mint

Post by Jadesword »

I enjoy playing the original Diablo every once in a while, but it will not play on Windows 10 (a friend's laptop) and it will not play using Wine. When I was still using Windows XP it played nice, but I no longer have a machine running Windows XP.

Is there a fix similar to what was done for Diablo 2?
odtech

Re: Diablo on Mint

Post by odtech »

Jadesword wrote:I enjoy playing the original Diablo every once in a while, but it will not play on Windows 10 (a friend's laptop) and it will not play using Wine. When I was still using Windows XP it played nice, but I no longer have a machine running Windows XP.

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/diablo-3it#download
They link a updated ddraw dll for modern OS's.

I havn't tried it so don't know if it works.
odtech

Post by odtech »

Jadesword wrote:I enjoy playing the original Diablo every once in a while, but it will not play on Windows 10 (a friend's laptop) and it will not play using Wine. When I was still using Windows XP it played nice, but I no longer have a machine running Windows XP.

I installed my old Diablo 1 copy in KVM Window 10 build 1706 and the game started without issue or need for patching besides installing official version 1.09. I tried to install it in wine too but seems i installed a pure 64bit wine so i kept getting bad exe errors. I didn't bother trying further.
Jadesword

Post by Jadesword »

odtech wrote:I didn't bother trying further.
I tried the link and it patches windows, not Linux.
I am thinking of doing what you did and abandon Diablo 1 and play Diablo 2 instead as it is still supported and I can play it with Linux Mint.
Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.
odtech

Post by odtech »

Jadesword wrote:
odtech wrote:I didn't bother trying further.
I tried the link and it patches windows, not Linux.
I am thinking of doing what you did and abandon Diablo 1 and play Diablo 2 instead as it is still supported and I can play it with Linux Mint.
Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.
I did try again and switched my wine prefix to 32bit but i still got a bad exe. Next step is probably to use POL (play on linux). I don't use wine at all anymore for gaming as it have very little to no success with it. I use a vm with gpu pci passthrough for gaming.

Edit: It won't install in wine even with PoL using a very old 32bit wine version.
I got it running though by installing it on windows then copying the installation to linux and mounting the iso and pointing winecfg drives to the mount and assigning drive letter D:
Works 100%
Jadesword

Post by Jadesword »

odtech wrote:I use a vm with gpu pci passthrough for gaming.

Edit: It won't install in wine even with PoL using a very old 32bit wine version.
I got it running though by installing it on windows then copying the installation to linux and mounting the iso and pointing winecfg drives to the mount and assigning drive letter D:
Works 100%
? vm ? I heard of 'virtual machine', but have not looked into it.
? pci ? I can plug cards into a socket tied into the peripheral component interconnect, but I have no idea of how to set up a 'passthrough'.
Since I do not know how to do any of what you wrote, my original comment stands. I will keep the disk since I may find an easy fix. Currently, I am also well into Diablo 2. I heard that there is a modernized version of Diablo 1 as a module in Diablo 3, but I will wait until I am no longer interested in Diablo 2. There might be a port to Linux by then.
odtech

Post by odtech »

Jadesword wrote:
odtech wrote:I use a vm with gpu pci passthrough for gaming.

Works 100%
? vm ? I heard of 'virtual machine', but have not looked into it.
? pci ? I can plug cards into a socket tied into the peripheral component interconnect, but I have no idea of how to set up a 'passthrough'.
Since I do not know how to do any of what you wrote, my original comment stands. I will keep the disk since I may find an easy fix. Currently, I am also well into Diablo 2. I heard that there is a modernized version of Diablo 1 as a module in Diablo 3, but I will wait until I am no longer interested in Diablo 2. There might be a port to Linux by then.
There is a very thorough guide on setting up a gaming vm. It's stickied in the virtualization board of this mint forum.
Jadesword

Post by Jadesword »

odtech wrote:There is a very thorough guide on setting up a gaming vm. It's stickied in the virtualization board of this mint forum.
I finally found Visualization as a sub-board under Software & Applications viewforum.php?f=231 and I will check it out as I have time.

You have been very helpful and I thank you for your efforts on my behalf.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

In a related note, there's an open-source engine being implemented for the game if you have a copy of its assets.
Jadesword

Post by Jadesword »

sphyrth wrote:In a related note, there's an open-source engine being implemented for the game if you have a copy of its assets.
I do have the original Diablo 1 disk. I checked Freeablo out and it is a work in progress. It seems I am not the only one still interested in playing the basic Diablo 1 game. The resolution improvements sound intriguing, so I will play that version. The video makes everything seem so much smaller that it may be more of a challenge to identify friend or foe or object. I will find out when I actually have the time to play.

Thank you so much for sharing this link with me.
sphyrth

Post by sphyrth »

Good for you. I didn't have the benefit of playing Diablo 1. D2:LOD was my childhood.
And I believe that in each iteration of the game, the script-writing was being sacrificed for the sake of better visuals. D3 didn't seem to have much of the focus on the storyline and scipts that it once had.
Jadesword

Post by Jadesword »

sphyrth wrote:Good for you. I didn't have the benefit of playing Diablo 1. D2:LOD was my childhood.
Diablo 1 is more fun for me as it is a simpler game, but challenging as really strong monsters challenge you starting about level three. If there is a need to level up before going deeper, restarting the game with your character is possible, but you can only keep what you can carry. Another advantage is that you can stock up on abundant items by just dropping them somewhere on the town level.
Bladeforce

Post by Bladeforce »

Diablo DOES work on wine. I use playonlinux with engine 1.5.0 and it works fine after working around the black menu which is pretty simple
Jadesword

Post by Jadesword »

Bladeforce wrote:Diablo DOES work on wine. I use playonlinux with engine 1.5.0 and it works fine after working around the black menu which is pretty simple
Tried it in mono, the default. Nothing. Would not even show an error message.

Tried it in Wine and was able to play the intro video, but the wine explorer screen covered much of the display. After that, everything just quit. The only thing left was the wine explorer screen.

Play on Linux goes so far and the install screen shows a circle redrawing itself until I decide it is not working, about half an hour. Did not get to anything that could be described as a black screen. Would have no clue as to how to get around it if I did get that far.

I may be missing something, but following the instructions did not work. Although I would like to play Diablo 1 when I have time, I am currently playing Diablo 2.
Zeddrich
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Zeddrich »

I'm editing this reply to explain how I managed to get both Diablo and Hellfire to play using wine/POL. Before I start, let me say the menu screens aren't black, but they aren't perfect either; however, they are navigable so you can manage to play the game(s).

I downloaded both games from myabandonware.com for which there is link near the top of this thread. If you want the full game make sure you grab the iso as it will have the intro movie and voices. I had to do "sudo apt-get install bchunk" as a means to convert the bin/cue files for Hellfire into an iso. From there "sudo mount -o loop *path to Diablo.iso* or later Hellfire.iso(as needed).

From there, I fired up Play on Linux(POL). Now, I proceeded to install Diablo from there. When installing it should give you the option to select another wine version to use during installation, I did this choosing 1.5.0. and continued to install the game. I also chose to configure wine, to make sure it was set to run under 'windows 95.' When it asked for an exe I believe it was install.exe from the mounted diablo.iso. From there, I finished the installation. I didn't run the game immediately I hit the configure button and under the Display tab I set Direct Draw Renderer to gdi instead of default and I also set video memory to 32mb(this might not be necessary, as the 'default' setting should be fine).

Before playing this game you'll need to download this: https://www.mediafire.com/?2jicmwsx88nwsv3
This download I originally found here: https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php? ... 801be5cadc

Once you extract, what's in that tarball... you'll need to copy the dll's into /home/*your name*/.PlayonLinux/wineprefix/*path to Diablo* Your destination should have the Diablo.exe in it as well(Ctrl-H will help you to find the hidden directory if you need help finding it). After you've copied those files go back and open a terminal where ever you extracted that tarball; then you want to './ddraw_renderer.sh' you'll enter diablo.exe and gdi. After that, you should be ready to launch Diablo from POL. *note the above mentioned thread link has a different version of wine listed, but I'm sucessfully using 1.5.0*

For Hellfire, I installed using the existing virtual drive that was there for Diablo and installed it in much the same fashion. I did copy the dlls into Hellfire's install directory and I ran './ddraw_renderer.sh' instead using hellfire.exe followed again by gdi.

I'm still having trouble getting POL to mount diablo.iso before it runs diablo, so right now I have to manually mount the image every time I want to play. I suppose you might visit cdcopyworld.com and look for a nocd exe file if you were so inclined. But, this should get you to a point where you Diablo/Hellfire installed and playable from your PC. I hope this helps anyone trying to play Diablo.
sarge816
Level 3
Level 3

Post by sarge816 »

I'm playing Diablo1 with the HD mod (Beelzebub): http://diablo1.ovh.org/hd/

It looks and plays great until you take damage, at which time it freezes. I also get no sound at all after the intro screens. Menus work good, game plays smoothly at HD resolution (until freeze taking damage). Using LM17.3 and WINE 1.6.2 (latest version in Software Manager), all other games working terrific.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I am running an Intel video-running MacBook Pro 13" 2011 model.

When I try to run either Diablo or Diablo II, the screen resolution changes, and then it divides up the screen into quarters, after which it puts part of the game screen into the upper left quadrant, and other things like other open software, or my desktop, in the other three.

Has anyone seen this behavior before? I've tried messing around with Wine's configuraton, but have yet to find a way to make things work.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel

Return to “Gaming”