SOLVED: Since I upgraded to Mint18.1 Steam no longer detects games inside the steamapps directory

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
randomNick3229

SOLVED: Since I upgraded to Mint18.1 Steam no longer detects games inside the steamapps directory

Post by randomNick3229 »

Hello everyone,

my problem is pretty much pointed in the topic.
I kept my home partition while I performed the upgrade to Mint18.1 KDE as a fresh reinstall and since then Steam no longer accepts the steamapps directory in ~/.steam/ as what it is.
Meaning the games can't be started and require to be reinstalled.

Moving the directories, creating new ones with the same name and checking permissions didn't help, so I'm lost :(

Anyone knows a solution to this? As you can imagine, to re-download ~500G isn't really fun even with fast connections.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
odtech

Re: Since I upgraded to Mint18.1 Steam no longer detects games inside the steamapps directory

Post by odtech »

randomNick3229 wrote:Hello everyone,

my problem is pretty much pointed in the topic.
I kept my home partition while I performed the upgrade to Mint18.1 KDE as a fresh reinstall and since then Steam no longer accepts the steamapps directory in ~/.steam/ as what it is.
Meaning the games can't be started and require to be reinstalled.

Moving the directories, creating new ones with the same name and checking permissions didn't help, so I'm lost :(

Anyone knows a solution to this? As you can imagine, to re-download ~500G isn't really fun even with fast connections.
Steam detects the existing files when you "reinstall" the game so it won't actualy redownload anything.
randomNick3229

Re: Since I upgraded to Mint18.1 Steam no longer detects games inside the steamapps directory

Post by randomNick3229 »

Hello odtech,
odtech wrote:Steam detects the existing files when you "reinstall" the game so it won't actualy redownload anything.
I tried so but it kept downloading files anyway.
What I noticed afterwards however was that it downloads files outside my actual steamapps directory that was moved somewhere else.

Managed to fix that issue, everything works again.

Thanks for the reply, I guess your post gave me unexpected ideas, haha :lol:
odtech

Post by odtech »

randomNick3229 wrote:Hello odtech,
odtech wrote:Steam detects the existing files when you "reinstall" the game so it won't actualy redownload anything.
I tried so but it kept downloading files anyway.
What I noticed afterwards however was that it downloads files outside my actual steamapps directory that was moved somewhere else.

Managed to fix that issue, everything works again.

Thanks for the reply, I guess your post gave me unexpected ideas, haha :lol:
Strange that steam expected the library structure to be different than what it was. But yeah the starting a install trick is a good way to see where steam expects the files to be.
I got my library on a second hard drive so whenever i mess around with the OS disk i just point steam back to the steamlibrary folder on the data drive and everything is instantly installed again. Works every time.

Return to “Gaming”