I am currently running windows and Would like to run linux Mint.

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Arkette

I am currently running windows and Would like to run linux Mint.

Post by Arkette »

I want to run Linux in addition to windows, due to I am a hard core gamer. Can I just use the back up option to my email I use on my windows? Or do I need to go out and buy some CD Disks to do a proper Back up option? I have read up about Linux and would like to know what software you use to stop the viruses and the malware? I definitely would like to try Linux with my windows also. But I do not know what edition to choose from? I am going to school online for Computer Science and Information Technology and would like to use the Linux to do just that. I am getting my Bachelors Degree in Mobile Applications Programming Development. That being said I would like to ask which edition of Linux do you think would be best suited for me? :D :?:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: I am currently running windows and Would like to run linux Mint.

Post by Pierre »

do have a read of this Tutorial:
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
it's written for win-8x but does apply to win-10 as well.

But I do not know what edition to choose from?
- that will depend mainly on your PCs hardware ..
however, most users seem to goto the Cinnamon Edition of LinuxMint.

what software you use to stop the viruses and the malware?
- you don't need any such software, as any Linux System is virus free.

But if you are indeed a Hardcore Gamer, then you may find the Linux System is a bit limiting.
but2 - you can run Steam on Linux, these days.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

Stay with Windows.
Too many misconceptions.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Arkette",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum !

I just read your post and some of the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" from a Linux console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information. Or, use your MS Windows system information to provide us with some hardware specs, like CPU, amount of System Memory, make and model of computer, which version of MS Windows is installed, etc...

A lot of people coming from MS Windows will "dual boot", meaning they will install Linux Mint on the same hard drive, or another one, as their MS Windows system, then boot into whichever one they want whenever they want.

If you have enough computer power and system memory, then you could install Virtualbox and any version of MS Windows in that where you could install any MS Windows applications or games, and run them while still in Linux Mint. You would want to use as much available video card and system memory as you can when setting up the MS Windows virtual machine for the gaming. Of course you could also install other Linux operating systems in Virtualbox as well to test or use those too.

As for which edition of the Linux Mint to use, that would be up to you and your hardware. There are 4 main wonderful editions of Linux Mint (Cinnamon, Mate, KDE, and "Xfce") based upon Ubuntu, and 2 others based on Debian LMDE (Cinnamon and Mate). I usually recommend creating bootable Live, test drive, installation versions of each Linux Mint edition onto DVD's or USB flash drive sticks, and trying them out for yourself to see which one you like the most and works the best for your hardware.

You can install most "Mobile" programming, and other programming environments, into any edition of Linux Mint (Android, Java, C+ , C++, etc...).

As was already mentioned you do not need, nor is it recommended, to install or use anti-virus or anti-malware applications in Linux Mint, although you can. There is a wonderful sandboxing application called "Firejail" that I would highly recommend that you use for all Internet enabled applications.

As for your current email and or email contacts (email addresses), we would need to know which email application (desktop email or web client), and email provider(s) that you use. Once we know that, It should be fairly easy to get that information into Linux Mint as well.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
Ryan_Stevens

Post by Ryan_Stevens »

I'm using Windows 10 it's better than the other windows I utilize yet about Linux is it decent more than windows 10?
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Ryan_Stevens wrote:I'm using Windows 10 it's better than the other windows I utilize yet about Linux is it decent more than windows 10?
There are some games that don't run on Linux, although Steam now has several thousand Linux games available. And there are a few applications for which there are no Linux equivalent, but I can't think of one at the moment. For the things that most people do on a computer: process words, play media files, surf the web, do email, edit photographs, and so on, there are native Linux programs. Some Windows programs can be run on Linux using a program called Wine or PlayOnLinux.

So, is Linux "more decent than Windows 10"? I have never used Win10; I have been using Linux since 2002. But there have been an awful lot of people who have changed over to Linux and they love it. Many of them say, "I should have done this years ago!" Here's a few stories from my "Linux Success Stories" file:

I make my living fixing people computer problems. Windows 10 has been the final straw for a lot of people. People are afraid of change and why its never usually been an option to use Linux. This year has been first year people are asking for something different. So its a win win to me I get to convert people over and I get paid changing em over and helping them out. Example I recently built a lady in her 80s a new computer with Linux Mint 17.3 . In last 6 months she has called me because someone some how set the printer offline. The other time was she did not know how to load up the ink on the new printer.
A Windows 10 computer I built a month ago. Not even a month in and Windows 10 in an update corrupted its own boot partition.
I'm a newcomer to Mint and Linux. After some distro hopping I started using 17.2 Rafaela late last year. I was dual booting with Win10 but it didn't take long for me to quit using Windows alltogether. Mint became my main OS and the only regret I have is that I didn't make the switch sooner.
I have switched a lot of people over to Linux. The thing all of them have in common is they were all tired of their computer being infected with viruses and malware. Once they understand that Linux is just point and click they seem real happy with it.
Jamie's Story

I came home from school today to find my mom sitting in front of my computer on the phone with someone, asking questions about Linux. She and Dad go on my computer alot so I wasn't worried they would find anything embarrassing (yet, but I just started high school so maybe soon lol), but I'm thinking maybe she thinks she broke something. Really though, I don't think Mom and Dad could break anything on my computer on accident anyway because they don't know the root password. So I sat down and listened.

"Well then why is my computer so much slower than my son's when it has 16 gigs of RAM and a quad-core processor?" she thundered at some poor Indian guy on the other end.

"We gave him that old boat anchor six months ago because it's old and underpowered and won't run Windows anymore. He's done something to make it run circles around my brand new one! I have stuff to get done and I have to borrow my son's - what do you call this Jamie?"

"It's Linux, Mom." I said, trying not to grin too big.

"Linux! I want that on my computer!"

A long pause, then Mom's face starts turning red. "What do you mean you can't do that? You're the professional and I have to have my computer work done by my 13 year old?"

"I'm 14 now Mom..."

"Shhhh!" Back to the phone, "Well?"

Another long pause, a quiet end to a frustrating phone call, and then Mom drops this bomb:

"Your father and I want you to make our computer do what yours does. Please."

Stunned silence

"Jamie?"

Big huge grin that won't go away. I don't even think a root canal could take this smile off my face right now! So I have to do some reading and make sure I know how to do this dual-boot thing. But in the meantime Mom is running LXLE on her computer from a live USB drive and singing a little song that goes like ZOOM ZOOM ZOOOOOOOM!

Update on Jamie's Story:

Even though his mom and dad's computer is very modern and powerful, they liked the LXDE desktop so much that they asked Jamie to install it. It's a dual-boot setup, but Jamie says they haven't booted into Windows since he put LXLE on it.
I have done lots of "conversions" to Mint 17 in my area. I usually use Mate as it's most like what their used to with XP / Vista / 7.

I offer the following service = "If you are not happy with it after a few days, I can put your original full Windows version back on from the [full image] backup I made before putting Linux on". I have never yet had anyone say "well thanks, but no thanks, please put my original Windows build back on"
(though a couple have lamented the lack of ability to use iTunes).

In the last fortnight I have done two very similar jobs, both involved folks buying new "all in one" PC's, one had Windows 8.2 on, the other had 10 on it. Both customers were so frustrated with the experience they asked me to tutor them on these new OS's, (as they both had upgraded from old XP machines). I did not offer to tutor them in using their new Windows, I did the usual, made a full (CloneZilla) image, "just in case" and installed LM17.2 (64 bit). Both customers were absolutely delighted

I often get asked after performing this type of service "Why on earth do folks put up with Windows, why doesn't everyone use this?
When I bought my laptop, I just couldn’t figure out the Windows 8.1 that came preinstalled. The GUI was awful and the system was determined to turn me into a mindless Windows drone with a Microsoft-account. I, of course, declined this rather patronizing offer, and attempted to take control of the OS in my laptop. Things weren’t that easy though.
Apparently Windows 8.1 only works if the user is an idiot and the computer is a touchscreen-pad computer. The more I removed security restraints that prevented me from doing my every day tasks, the more the system seemed to crumble. 6 hours of fighting later, I’d ended up messing up NTFS permissions and broken the File Explorer. Screw this, I thought. Why am I wasting my time on an OS clearly not designed for a power-user?
Then I did some research on modern Linux-distros, and ended up downloading Linux Mint Rebecca 17.1. 30 minutes after installation everything was running perfectly. Never looked back.
I just switched from Cinnamon 17.3 to Cinnamon 18. I backed up my data, completely re-partitioned my drive, and restored the data. The biggest reason was because I wanted to add a /home partition for my data. I didn't do that with 17.3 because I just didn't know enough at the time of the initial build.

Here's the story of the build. I booted to the LiveUSB and started the install. I partitioned the drive to include the /home partition and then continued to install the files. My wife and I took a walk around the neighborhood and when I came back, the install had finished. I rebooted to hard drive and let the system update. Done. The only reason it took about 30 minutes was the walk. And this is on a laptop connected via WiFi.

Hey, Microsoft. Match that! My last update to Windows 10 was started in the evening, connected via wired Ethernet, and was still running an hour later. So I went to bed. And that was just an update not a full install and update. Tell me again why Windows is considered a viable operating system?
I'm still such a newbie, a very happy Mint using newbie (eternal thanks to Windows 10 for being what it is to force me onto Mint!).
Welcome to the refugee club that keeps growing a lot lately I've been using Linux for 2 years now and around a year ago I ditched all Windows partitions from all computers in the house due to the frustrations of Windows 10 and it was one of the best decisions that I've ever made. I've found open-source replacement for everything that I use day-to-day and I also do gaming thx to Valve and their great open approach towards PC gaming! Linux as the platform is definitely ready to take off on the desktop and all people that I've brought to Linux are extremely happy with it which only proves exactly that! And there is no community like Linux mint forums community!
Hello OP and everyone else. Just a few words to introduce myself. I too just installed Linux Mint about 3 days ago. My Windows 10 simply became so intrusive that I'd had enough. Aside from that, my Windows 10 Insider fast track version was about to disable itself- demanding restarts every three hours effectively forcing me to buy a new copy of Windows 10 or find an alternative OS.
I Googled the best desktop Linux distro for newbies and Linux Mint 18 was what I came up with. Having tried various Linux releases over the past decade, I was thrilled to find this version so easy to get up and running. Quite beautiful. It's a pleasure to introduce myself to all of you. Sign me, "Done with Windows"
Windows 10 has forced me to join the Linux ranks. Really impressed with how everything 'just works'. No hoops to jump thru, not much worry about viruses and especially no spying. I do have a Desktop running Win10 and I swear I have to turn off all the snooping apps repeatedly. I hate having to log on to their Microsoft account to access the OS features.
Anyway, I wish I would have found this thread earlier. Got a brand new $450 HP i5 laptop yesterday. Never even allowed Win10 to connect to my network. Used a USB to wipeout and load Sarah.
Win10 Key gone forever I guess. Things running smooth so far and with Libre Office being so awesome, I am never turning back.

OK, I probably posted (way) more than necessary (I've got more, currently my Linux Success Stories file is at 23 pages), but I think you will get the idea: People move to Linux, they are happy, they wish they have switched to Linux years ago, and they never go back to Windows.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Ryan_Stevens

Post by Ryan_Stevens »

jimallyn wrote:
Ryan_Stevens wrote:I'm using Windows 10 it's better than the other windows I utilize yet about Linux is it decent more than windows 10?
There are some games that don't run on Linux, although Steam now has several thousand Linux games available. And there are a few applications for which there are no Linux equivalent, but I can't think of one at the moment. For the things that most people do on a computer: process words, play media files, surf the web, do email, edit photographs, and so on, there are native Linux programs. Some Windows programs can be run on Linux using a program called Wine or PlayOnLinux.

So, is Linux "more decent than Windows 10"? I have never used Win10; I have been using Linux since 2002. But there have been an awful lot of people who have changed over to Linux and they love it. Many of them say, "I should have done this years ago!" Here's a few stories from my "Linux Success Stories" file:

I make my living fixing people computer problems. Windows 10 has been the final straw for a lot of people. People are afraid of change and why its never usually been an option to use Linux. This year has been first year people are asking for something different. So its a win win to me I get to convert people over and I get paid changing em over and helping them out. Example I recently built a lady in her 80s a new computer with Linux Mint 17.3 . In last 6 months she has called me because someone some how set the printer offline. The other time was she did not know how to load up the ink on the new printer.
A Windows 10 computer I built a month ago. Not even a month in and Windows 10 in an update corrupted its own boot partition.
I'm a newcomer to Mint and Linux. After some distro hopping I started using 17.2 Rafaela late last year. I was dual booting with Win10 but it didn't take long for me to quit using Windows alltogether. Mint became my main OS and the only regret I have is that I didn't make the switch sooner.
I have switched a lot of people over to Linux. The thing all of them have in common is they were all tired of their computer being infected with viruses and malware. Once they understand that Linux is just point and click they seem real happy with it.
Jamie's Story

I came home from school today to find my mom sitting in front of my computer on the phone with someone, asking questions about Linux. She and Dad go on my computer alot so I wasn't worried they would find anything embarrassing (yet, but I just started high school so maybe soon lol), but I'm thinking maybe she thinks she broke something. Really though, I don't think Mom and Dad could break anything on my computer on accident anyway because they don't know the root password. So I sat down and listened.

"Well then why is my computer so much slower than my son's when it has 16 gigs of RAM and a quad-core processor?" she thundered at some poor Indian guy on the other end.

"We gave him that old boat anchor six months ago because it's old and underpowered and won't run Windows anymore. He's done something to make it run circles around my brand new one! I have stuff to get done and I have to borrow my son's - what do you call this Jamie?"

"It's Linux, Mom." I said, trying not to grin too big.

"Linux! I want that on my computer!"

A long pause, then Mom's face starts turning red. "What do you mean you can't do that? You're the professional and I have to have my computer work done by my 13 year old?"

"I'm 14 now Mom..."

"Shhhh!" Back to the phone, "Well?"

Another long pause, a quiet end to a frustrating phone call, and then Mom drops this bomb:

"Your father and I want you to make our computer do what yours does. Please."

Stunned silence

"Jamie?"

Big huge grin that won't go away. I don't even think a root canal could take this smile off my face right now! So I have to do some reading and make sure I know how to do this dual-boot thing. But in the meantime Mom is running LXLE on her computer from a live USB drive and singing a little song that goes like ZOOM ZOOM ZOOOOOOOM!

Update on Jamie's Story:

Even though his mom and dad's computer is very modern and powerful, they liked the LXDE desktop so much that they asked Jamie to install it. It's a dual-boot setup, but Jamie says they haven't booted into Windows since he put LXLE on it.
I have done lots of "conversions" to Mint 17 in my area. I usually use Mate as it's most like what their used to with XP / Vista / 7.

I offer the following service = "If you are not happy with it after a few days, I can put your original full Windows version back on from the [full image] backup I made before putting Linux on". I have never yet had anyone say "well thanks, but no thanks, please put my original Windows build back on"
(though a couple have lamented the lack of ability to use iTunes).

In the last fortnight I have done two very similar jobs, both involved folks buying new "all in one" PC's, one had Windows 8.2 on, the other had 10 on it. Both customers were so frustrated with the experience they asked me to tutor them on these new OS's, (as they both had upgraded from old XP machines). I did not offer to tutor them in using their new Windows, I did the usual, made a full (CloneZilla) image, "just in case" and installed LM17.2 (64 bit). Both customers were absolutely delighted

I often get asked after performing this type of service "Why on earth do folks put up with Windows, why doesn't everyone use this?
When I bought my laptop, I just couldn’t figure out the Windows 8.1 that came preinstalled. The GUI was awful and the system was determined to turn me into a mindless Windows drone with a Microsoft-account. I, of course, declined this rather patronizing offer, and attempted to take control of the OS in my laptop. Things weren’t that easy though.
Apparently Windows 8.1 only works if the user is an idiot and the computer is a touchscreen-pad computer. The more I removed security restraints that prevented me from doing my every day tasks, the more the system seemed to crumble. 6 hours of fighting later, I’d ended up messing up NTFS permissions and broken the File Explorer. Screw this, I thought. Why am I wasting my time on an OS clearly not designed for a power-user?
Then I did some research on modern Linux-distros, and ended up downloading Linux Mint Rebecca 17.1. 30 minutes after installation everything was running perfectly. Never looked back.
I just switched from Cinnamon 17.3 to Cinnamon 18. I backed up my data, completely re-partitioned my drive, and restored the data. The biggest reason was because I wanted to add a /home partition for my data. I didn't do that with 17.3 because I just didn't know enough at the time of the initial build.

Here's the story of the build. I booted to the LiveUSB and started the install. I partitioned the drive to include the /home partition and then continued to install the files. My wife and I took a walk around the neighborhood and when I came back, the install had finished. I rebooted to hard drive and let the system update. Done. The only reason it took about 30 minutes was the walk. And this is on a laptop connected via WiFi.

Hey, Microsoft. Match that! My last update to Windows 10 was started in the evening, connected via wired Ethernet, and was still running an hour later. So I went to bed. And that was just an update not a full install and update. Tell me again why Windows is considered a viable operating system?
I'm still such a newbie, a very happy Mint using newbie (eternal thanks to Windows 10 for being what it is to force me onto Mint!).
Welcome to the refugee club that keeps growing a lot lately I've been using Linux for 2 years now and around a year ago I ditched all Windows partitions from all computers in the house due to the frustrations of Windows 10 and it was one of the best decisions that I've ever made. I've found open-source replacement for everything that I use day-to-day and I also do gaming thx to Valve and their great open approach towards PC gaming! Linux as the platform is definitely ready to take off on the desktop and all people that I've brought to Linux are extremely happy with it which only proves exactly that! And there is no community like Linux mint forums community!
Hello OP and everyone else. Just a few words to introduce myself. I too just installed Linux Mint about 3 days ago. My Windows 10 simply became so intrusive that I'd had enough. Aside from that, my Windows 10 Insider fast track version was about to disable itself- demanding restarts every three hours effectively forcing me to buy a new copy of Windows 10 or find an alternative OS.
I Googled the best desktop Linux distro for newbies and Linux Mint 18 was what I came up with. Having tried various Linux releases over the past decade, I was thrilled to find this version so easy to get up and running. Quite beautiful. It's a pleasure to introduce myself to all of you. Sign me, "Done with Windows"
Windows 10 has forced me to join the Linux ranks. Really impressed with how everything 'just works'. No hoops to jump thru, not much worry about viruses and especially no spying. I do have a Desktop running Win10 and I swear I have to turn off all the snooping apps repeatedly. I hate having to log on to their Microsoft account to access the OS features.
Anyway, I wish I would have found this thread earlier. Got a brand new $450 HP i5 laptop yesterday. Never even allowed Win10 to connect to my network. Used a USB to wipeout and load Sarah.
Win10 Key gone forever I guess. Things running smooth so far and with Libre Office being so awesome, I am never turning back.

OK, I probably posted (way) more than necessary (I've got more, currently my Linux Success Stories file is at 23 pages), but I think you will get the idea: People move to Linux, they are happy, they wish they have switched to Linux years ago, and they never go back to Windows.
Thankful Friend for your suggestion and desire what I have to know about Linux hope you will guide me. :-)
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Ryan_Stevens, it might be better if you started your own thread on this. When we get two different questions from two different people going in the same thread, it gets confusing: "Was that reply directed at poster 1? Or was it directed at poster 2?" So please start a new thread and we will answer any questions you have there. :D
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

Return to “Gaming”