Running a windows based game (iSnooker from The SnookerClub)

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ilikereading

Running a windows based game (iSnooker from The SnookerClub)

Post by ilikereading »

Hi. I managed to install and run a game that supports windows only, and the image flickers a lot. It only stays when i open the menus from the top. Is there anything i can do about it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Running a windows based game

Post by xenopeek »

Linux isn't Windows. Wine isn't perfect. There may not be a generic solution so you will have to disclose what game it is. And you will likely find better help on the Wine website (check the Wine AppDB to see what issues others have reported for this game and possibly what Wine trick is a workaround, else check the Wine forums).
ilikereading

Re: Running a windows based game

Post by ilikereading »

The game is isnooker from http://www.thesnookerclub.com/

A print screen from the game. For some reason, the print screen function sees the table all the time, when i can see it only if the menu from above is open. Otherwise is just black with an image appearing from time to time for 1ms. And there were some settings down near that box and a chat area.
ilikereading

Re: Running a windows based game (iSnooker from The SnookerClub)

Post by ilikereading »

Still no reply on wine forums after almost 3 days.
Upgrading wine to 2.6 improved the situation a bit, but still it's not playable.
English Invader
Level 4
Level 4

Post by English Invader »

Have you tried using PlayOnLinux? It's a front-end that will allow you to manage different Wine versions and configurations. You may also have more luck with a 32-bit version of Wine if you're using 64-bit.
ilikereading

Post by ilikereading »

I will give up.
Faust

Post by Faust »

me_1 wrote:I will give up.
No , don't give up :D

I personally hate Wine with a passion and I removed it ( which lead to other problems ... ha ! )

I'm not a big gamer but I do like snooker / pool / billiards games .

After much searching I found Foobilliard++ ( it has snooker as one of many options ) .
http://foobillardplus.sourceforge.net/

It runs sweetly on my Mint 17.3 rig .
ilikereading

Post by ilikereading »

I tried foobilliard (from synaptic package manager) and didn't like it. It has many bugs and somewhat not realistic.
Playonlinux has a ton of libraries to install, and i don't know which one i should install.
These days is the world snooker championship on eurosport 1. :D
Faust

Post by Faust »

me_1 wrote:I tried foobilliard (from synaptic package manager) and didn't like it. It has many bugs and somewhat not realistic.
Playonlinux has a ton of libraries to install, and i don't know which one i should install.
These days is the world snooker championship on eurosport 1. :D
Yeah , I know what you're saying about foobilliard being a little unrealistic .

The program ( opponent ) has no understanding of the strategy aspects which make snooker so different .
It can't lay a snooker , nor can it "see" plants ( does the Windows game do that ? )
But it's better than nothing ( I don't know the Windows game you mentioned ) .

Regarding buggy .....
I reckon any snooker type game will be heavy on resources , on most systems.
Many moving balls and each with their own trajectory to be computed , and then the graphics rendering
.... that's quite a load !

But I'm hoping that someone will check in here , and prove me wrong !
:D

And yes , I am following the World Championship :)
ilikereading

Post by ilikereading »

In foobilliard, for instance if you press tab you can play any ball instead of the cue ball, and if you pot your cue ball it is replaced by a red ball : :lol:
You should try isnooker if you have a dual boot system or a virtual machine, and you can find it on facebook also but it's quite bad (for example you can't do fine cuts, they are counted as misses). This application is the best one i could find on the internet. There are video games on snooker much better (you can find them on torrents or buy them), but i'm trying to give up playing video games :D

I hope John Higgins wins the championship, as Ronnie was eliminated :D

Return to “Gaming”