New to Linux. Need Couch PVP/Coop Game suggestions

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
borg101
Level 3
Level 3

New to Linux. Need Couch PVP/Coop Game suggestions

Postby borg101 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:00 pm

Hi all! I've been a Linux user for years on and off. I have it on my laptops and raspberry pi's. However, I just ditched my windows partition on my HTPC and decided to go Linux only. I'm looking for good couch multiplayer games from any genre. My sons and I love SuperTuxKart and Hedgewars. We're having a hard time finding FPS, JRPG and ARPG's though. Most of our Steam library doesn't work natively in Linux, and the titles that work in Wine either aren't "couch friendly". We would love to hear some community input. Any recommendations?
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 18.2 (Cinnamon)

Tartanspartan01
Level 1
Level 1

Re: New to Linux. Need Couch PVP/Coop Game suggestions

Postby Tartanspartan01 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:15 pm

hi, i dont do gaming very much nowadays but i think through google chrome you might have some options for browser based games, only recently discovered this myself as ive typically done my gaming through steam and ive only just started using linux (mint) and just recently switched from firefox being my main browser, i cant recommend any from experience as i havent dabbled yet but there seems to be a decent amount of options there, probably worth having a look, would love to hear if you find anything you like as couch gaming and co op are my preferred genres nowadays.
I don't need the stress of competitive online play and dont have the time nowadays for lengthy single player campaigns. would like to get around to trying left 4 dead 2 on linux though one of my all time favorite games from steam and ticks those boxes for me.
i5 4670k, 8GB RAM, 2x 2TB HDD's dual booting Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.1 64-bit and that other popular OS / HP Pavilion dv6 Linux Mint 18.1 Xfce 64-bit riding solo

objectchord
Level 1
Level 1

Postby objectchord » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:45 am

I have tried a couple of games from STEAM on Linux and they work perfectly.
DOTA 2 and Strange Days.
Many are free.
There are many available including Witcher 2.
Good luck :o)

dark
Level 2
Level 2

Postby dark » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:56 am

https://lutris.net/
Check Hex DSL channel for Linux games: https://www.youtube.com/user/hexdsl/videos
How to install using Lutris. Warframe example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zaxfe-Z2emE
:)

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”