Where is the Wine savegame location? Need a bit of clarification on Wine

Anything related to gaming on Linux Mint including game discussion or questions concerning Steam or Wine.
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
borg101
Level 3
Level 3

Where is the Wine savegame location? Need a bit of clarification on Wine

Postby borg101 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:39 pm

So it's my understanding that Wine contains all it's location information in ~/.wine. I like to create my own cloud backups via Google drive. Should I run Google Drive within Wine, or should I install it within Linux and run it to backup my ~/.wine folder(s)? My assumption would be the latter, but as I'm new to Wine I thought to ask for clarification. If I do install Google Drive and backup my ~/.wine folder(s) and have to reinstall Mint or am syncing on my laptop (Elementary OS), is there anything I need to do between different distros beyond making sure that Google Drive, Wine, and the game are all installed and configured to ensure everything syncs appropriately?

P.S. First, thank everyone for their help in advance. Second, I apologize for asking so many questions. I kind of have OCD and do very specific things with my data. It has to be incredibly organized. I have spent hundreds, if not thousands of hours tagging all meta data in all my A/V content. My hard drives and NAS all have matching file structure. It's just the way my brain works. My apologies in advance.
Mobo: ASRock model: Z97E-ITX | CPU: Quad core Intel Core i5-4690 | GPU: NVIDIA GM206 [GeForce GTX 960] | RAM: 16GB DDR3 | SSD/HDD: Total Size: 8251.6GB | OS: Mint 18.2 (Cinnamon)

Booman
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Where is the Wine savegame location? Need a bit of clarification on Wine

Postby Booman » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:36 pm

I have a feeling Google Drive doesn't work in the Wine environment.
I manually upload my save games from each prefix (virtual drive in PlayOnLinux) to backup my games.

Most games actually keep your saves in ~/Documents
You will find a "My Games" Directory with save games from different games and engines.

I use a different prefix for ever single game I install, so there is no way I would install Google Drive in each of them.
I hope this helps... if you have success with Google Drive, please share
Booman
Mint 18.2 64-bit
PlayOnLinux 4.2.12
PlayOnLinux GuidesTested Games List

Return to “Gaming on Linux Mint”